ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

JuicesFlowing 02-21-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5514121)
Is that the 4 hour cut that shows up on local TV channels from time to time? Lynch has claimed thats not his cut.

I'm not sure. I rented the "extended version" on Netflix. After reading the comments on Netflix, it appears you are correct, Lynch didn't take credit for the rubbish of the extended edition. Oh well.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-21-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicesFlowing (Post 5514141)
I'm not sure. I rented the "extended version" on Netflix. I didn't think it was as "visually stunning" as the reviews said ...

Well, there's always the weak-sauce, Sci-Fi channel edition.

Frazod 02-21-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5514149)
Well, there's always the weak-sauce, Sci-Fi channel edition.

The Sci-Fi version isn't quite as awful, but it still sucks balls.

I wish somebody like Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson would do it. Somebody that could do it right.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-21-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5514155)
The Sci-Fi version isn't quite as awful, but it still sucks balls.

I wish somebody like Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson would do it. Somebody that could do it right.

In all honesty, the story itself never really did much for me.

Frazod 02-21-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5514163)
In all honesty, the story itself never really did much for me.

It's my favorite book of all time.

keg in kc 02-22-2009 04:29 AM

Peter Berg (The Kingdom, Hancock) was announced as the director for a remake a year ago. As far as I know that's still on, but hasn't started.

Rausch 02-22-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5488790)
Furthermore, I find Spike Lee's assertion that the destruction of the pizzeria in order to save Sal and his kids to be preposterous. Yeah the cops crossed a line and should be prosecuted, and they weren't targeting Pino and Raheem, just Raheem, but Sal isn't the cops, and the mob equating Sal to the cops shows a reprehensible amount of bigotry.

But generally, that's what Spike Lee films intend to do--they want to show a story of bigotry, and instead the vast majority of the bigotry that is shown is that of the filmmaker.

What did you expect?

And for the record, riots aren't about vengeance or reason or fairness. It's anger, bottled up for too long, and finally released in all directions. There's always friendly fire and imaginary villians created at the time.

Lee has gone overboard in recent years to convey his message and that's a shame. I don't think he's made a film worth watching since then. I've pretty much worked at Sal's for over a decade near an HBC I attended.

There was always that friction between it being one of the few places for decades that welcomed the black man and at the same time made money off them.

So the question is always there: are we really welcome or are you just another cracker making money off us?...

Pablo 02-27-2009 09:17 PM

I just started watching 'Eraserhead'...it's a bit odd so far to say the least...

Miles 02-27-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 5535914)
I just started watching 'Eraserhead'...it's a bit odd so far to say the least...

"They're not even sure it is a baby."

Lzen 02-27-2009 10:17 PM

Pineapple Express was terribly overhyped, IMO. What the heck is it about movies that have people smoking dope? Just because they smock a lot of weed, the movie is automatically good? Hey, I used to smoke a lot of chronic myself. But I just didn't think this movie was that great. Had a few funny parts, but overall, just a waste of time.

Hell, I may be the only one to say this, but I actually liked Tropic Thunder more. It wasn't much of a movie, either, but it had more funny stuff in it. Especially with the way Downey, Jr played an old black man.

Deberg_1990 02-27-2009 10:22 PM

Watched Changeling last night. Very good flick.

Reaper16 02-27-2009 10:30 PM

Anybody gonna' see Steven Soderbergh's Che, starring Benico del Toro? Its seriously got a running time of 4 hours and 17 minutes.

KcMizzou 02-27-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5536157)
Pineapple Express was terribly overhyped, IMO. What the heck is it about movies that have people smoking dope? Just because they smock a lot of weed, the movie is automatically good? Hey, I used to smoke a lot of chronic myself. But I just didn't think this movie was that great. Had a few funny parts, but overall, just a waste of time.

Hell, I may be the only one to say this, but I actually liked Tropic Thunder more. It wasn't much of a movie, either, but it had more funny stuff in it. Especially with the way Downey, Jr played an old black man.

I liked Pineapple Express more. James Franco was great. You wouldn't know he had it in him if you'd never seen Freaks and Geeks. Seth Rogan was Seth, about what you'd expect.

Danny McBride was hilarious in both movies. (abused dealer, pyro movie guy) I'm becoming a big fan of his.

Deberg_1990 02-27-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5536262)
I liked Pineapple Express more. James Franco was great. You wouldn't know he had it in him if you'd never seen Freaks and Geeks.

Freaks and Geeks is great. Its too bad it only lasted 1 year.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-27-2009 11:01 PM

Just finished "Valkyrie". Very good. All apologies to Tom; he did a great job.