ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

ragedogg69 07-12-2015 09:38 PM

JFC could Taylor Kitcsh's character and storyline get any more cliched. Of course his gf isnt prochoice.

GloucesterChief 07-12-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11595672)
JFC could Taylor Kitcsh's character and storyline get any more cliched. Of course his gf isnt prochoice.

His character really doesn't bring anything to the show.

Brock 07-12-2015 10:15 PM

It isn't good.

Brock 07-12-2015 10:17 PM

Give this show to Ellroy. This guy can't write TV.

Discuss Thrower 07-12-2015 10:38 PM

Spoiler!

eDave 07-13-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11595659)
The gun fight scene was very poorly done.

Highlight of the episode though. Total ambush.

Too many story-lines and I agree, can do without Kitcsh. He's filler.

DaneMcCloud 07-13-2015 12:27 AM

I'm two minutes into tonight's episode and this has to be the stiffest acting I've seen on HBO.

Really, really bad.

KCUnited 07-13-2015 05:53 AM

Vaughn is Days of our Lives John Black bad.

L.A. Chieffan 07-13-2015 12:14 PM

I don't know if it's the writing or what but all the acting is pretty bad, Vaughn especially. He just can't pull off the bad guy thing. Farrell is trying but the best acting is probably David Morse which is saying something

DaneMcCloud 07-13-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 11596262)
I don't know if it's the writing or what but all the acting is pretty bad, Vaughn especially. He just can't pull off the bad guy thing. Farrell is trying but the best acting is probably David Morse which is saying something

The director(s) aren't allowing the actors to show their own charisma. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. It's like they're saying "Do your best to be dour and show no emotion, regardless of what's happening."

It's just really, really bad TV.

vailpass 07-13-2015 12:31 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this season is fail. It's like wanting to like a cute girl but there's just nothing there...

DaneMcCloud 07-13-2015 12:35 PM

I'm somewhat surprised (although, not really) that there isn't a thread on The Rock's program, Ballers. How that got a renewal is just mind boggling.

It has to be the most cliched and lame show about the NFL, ever.

Sure-Oz 07-13-2015 01:06 PM

This show def not close to season 1. Disappointing

Farrell is probably the only dude I give a shit about in the show.

KCUnited 07-13-2015 01:26 PM

I will say this, and maybe its the campiness, but I look forward to tuning in on Sundays. I DVR all kinds of shit and get to it whenever and I'll drop a series at any point, but I'm there at 8:00 ready. Or maybe I look forward to laughing at it, I can't decide. Either way, it has that going for it. Like that shootout. That looked like something Lou Diamond Phillips would be featured in, but I kind of enjoyed it.

Aries Walker 07-13-2015 03:17 PM

About ten minutes into this episode I officially gave up. After I read this thread, I went back and watched the gunfight for gunfight's sake, but even it wasn't that spectacular.

Sunday night Battlebots it is, then.

eDave 07-13-2015 05:17 PM

I am enjoying the show overall and still look forward to seeing it. I'm hopeful as that shootout opened up a whole bag of shit.

Prison Bitch 07-13-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 11577820)
I don't care how many seasons this lasts...they will never outdo the revealing of Alexandra Daddario's tittahs.

Where are the tits this season? What a joke.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-13-2015 11:32 PM

Seven cops dead, all the primary suspects dead, probably close to 20 civilians dead/wounded.

The principles involved would never work in law enforcement again, and this would be a national news story for a week.

I don't know what the **** they were trying to accomplish with that shootout aside from the "Oh, shit!" factor.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-13-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11596295)
I'm somewhat surprised (although, not really) that there isn't a thread on The Rock's program, Ballers. How that got a renewal is just mind boggling.

:spock:

Think about the shit Playmakers got in for showing non-NFL affiliated players doing seedy shit.

This show has players who are representing real teams ****ing women in bathrooms, getting in fights at clubs, and doing coke on yachts.

I'm absolutely amazed the NFL signed off on this.

DaneMcCloud 07-13-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11597830)
:spock:

Think about the shit Playmakers got in for showing non-NFL affiliated players doing seedy shit.

This show has players who are representing real teams ****ing women in bathrooms, getting in fights at clubs, and doing coke on yachts.

I'm absolutely amazed the NFL signed off on this.

The NFL didn't sign off on this: HBO did it alone.

And I didn't mean to imply that it was derivative of another program, just that it was derivative of the NFL headlines of today.

I would have preferred to see something onscreen that isn't covered by journalists, internet or otherwise, on a daily basis.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-13-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11597835)
The NFL didn't sign off on this: HBO did it alone.

And I didn't mean to imply that it was derivative of another program, just that it was derivative of the NFL headlines of today.

I would have preferred to see something onscreen that isn't covered by journalists, internet or otherwise, on a daily basis.

HBO can't use NFL logos unless the NFL signs off on it. There are guys wearing official licensed merchandise in every show.

Regarding the storylines: consider it like Broke, the TV series. Also, someone who posts on an NFL message board isn't the target audience of this show. Your level of knowledge isn't that of the common viewer.

DaneMcCloud 07-13-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11597837)
HBO can't use NFL logos unless the NFL signs off on it. There are guys wearing official licensed merchandise in every show.

Actually, that's not true in this case.

HBO has the rights to "Hard Knocks" and their lawyers deemed that it was okay for them to use those logos in other original programming.

:D

Plus, whoever runs ESPN needs a cockpunch (for multiple reasons, of course).

It's ****ing DISNEY. They can do whatever the **** they want. Who else is going to give the NFL $2 BILLION a year for MNF football rights on a CABLE network?

Dumb.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-14-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11597839)
Actually, that's not true in this case.

HBO has the rights to "Hard Knocks" and their lawyers deemed that it was okay for them to use those logos in other original programming.

Plus, whoever runs ESPN needs a cockpunch (for multiple reasons, of course).

It's ****ing DISNEY. They can do whatever the **** they want. Who else is going to give the NFL $2 BILLION a year for MNF football rights on a CABLE network?

Dumb.

The NFL could easily pull Hard Knocks, though. It's more of a media creation than a real revenue driver, and the NFL's lawyers were surely aware that if they could use it in original programming, that this would naturally come down the pike.

The NFL could say they had no involvement, but that's like leaving gas soaked rags next to a roaring fireplace and saying "I had no idea the house was going to catch on fire."

DaneMcCloud 07-14-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11597844)
The NFL could easily pull Hard Knocks, though. It's more of a media creation than a real revenue driver, and the NFL's lawyers were surely aware that if they could use it in original programming, that this would naturally come down the pike.

The NFL could say they had no involvement, but that's like leaving gas soaked rags next to a roaring fireplace and saying "I had no idea the house was going to catch on fire."

I'm just passing on what I've been told by attorneys with privilege.

I sincerely doubt that the NFL pulls Hard Knocks, especially this late in the game. They made the major mistake of moving Inside the NFL from HBO to Showtime and they've greatly suffered from that decision.

Hopefully, the mere fact that Goodell hasn't sent his lawyers full-on after HBO shows that he's learning.

Tribal Warfare 07-14-2015 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11596295)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/bb/showthread.php?t=291841

DaneMcCloud 07-14-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 11597856)

You win, Brotha

eDave 07-14-2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 11597856)

LOL. Lotta traction in that thread.

Indicative.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 07-14-2015 05:00 AM

vaughn is horrific - how he was cast as a villain is beyond me. You'd have to be Marlon ****ing Brando to act scared of him.

dirk digler 07-14-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11596941)
I am enjoying the show overall and still look forward to seeing it. I'm hopeful as that shootout opened up a whole bag of shit.

I agree.

BigMeatballDave 07-16-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa_chiefs_fan (Post 11597872)
vaughn is horrific - how he was cast as a villain is beyond me. You'd have to be Marlon ****ing Brando to act scared of him.

You should watch Domestic Disturbance.

eDave 07-17-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11602645)
You should watch Domestic Disturbance.

That's the character I was looking for in this.

BigRedChief 07-17-2015 09:12 PM

I don't think this season is that bad. It's only when compared to last season that it fails. Compared to most crap on TV, its better than most.

Acting is not as good. Plot lines are too average. Directing is for shit. I never liked this casting. Vaugh is at his best in comedy. Ferrell is okay but I thought that after last season they could attract better talent.

Miles 07-18-2015 03:44 AM

I didn't have any expectations going into this season other than generally liking the cast they put together. I'm not as annoyed as other seem but it has been pretty meh with some dusting of good things. If you would ask me to summarize the murder investigation plot to the shootout last week I'd have no idea other than some city official got murdered.

BigMeatballDave 07-18-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11603301)
That's the character I was looking for in this.

Doesn't seem to be that type of character.

BigMeatballDave 07-18-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11604606)
I didn't have any expectations going into this season other than generally liking the cast they put together. I'm not as annoyed as other seem but it has been pretty meh with some dusting of good things. If you would ask me to summarize the murder investigation plot to the shootout last week I'd have no idea other than some city official got murdered.

This, exactly.

Brock 07-18-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11604606)

They've done a terrible job of storytelling.

BigMeatballDave 07-18-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11604701)

They really have.

BigMeatballDave 07-18-2015 09:02 AM

I will say that Rachel McAdams' character is much better than I expected.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-19-2015 07:42 PM

I hate this show

Carlota69 07-19-2015 09:17 PM

This has got to be the worst show I've watched in years. The acting is horrendous and I have no clue what's going on other than, Vaughn's character needs money, and says stupid cheesy shitty lines like " Somebody hit the warped drive and I'm trying to navigate thru the blur". I find myself fighting to keep my eyes open bc all I wanna do when it's on is nap. Tragedy. I loved the first season.

Bowser 07-19-2015 09:22 PM

I'm a couple of episodes behind. Has Justin Lin directed all the eps so far?

GloucesterChief 07-19-2015 09:28 PM

Should of cut out Kitsch character. He really brings nothing to the narrative so far other then to be the fetch monkey it seems.

Another problem is the setting. We have seen LA a million times already so the setting can't be its own character. Compare to the bayous and sugar cane fields in season one. An omnipresent source of menace and mystery that hide monsters.

tk13 07-19-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11607473)
I'm a couple of episodes behind. Has Justin Lin directed all the eps so far?

No I think he only did the first two. They were going to mix it up after that.

ragedogg69 07-19-2015 10:24 PM

the first half of this episode hit rock bottom for the season. JFC Vince Vaugn and his wife scenes are death. Also, the courts could give a **** legally about Colin Ferrell being a biological father or not. Legally he is his father.

The gay cop is so cliched it drives me crazy. Atleast the last half got better. Finally making progress. Vince lied to Colin about the rapist. they find that shack.

Anyong Bluth 07-20-2015 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11604701)

That's what's suffering the most. This season is revenge of the spaghetti monster because they have so many plots tangled, heading in their own direction, but seemingly end up going nowhere.

What again was the point of involving Casper's secretary exactly? Enough so to randomly run into her at the movie filming location?
Dixon?

Just a few examples of how necessary a fresh set of eyes and script revisions could have made a lot of difference.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11607483)
Should of cut out Kitsch character. He really brings nothing to the narrative so far other then to be the fetch monkey it seems.

Another problem is the setting. We have seen LA a million times already so the setting can't be its own character. Compare to the bayous and sugar cane fields in season one. An omnipresent source of menace and mystery that hide monsters.

Yes, LA is played out. Hell, crime movies about California land deals are anything but breaking new ground. I didn't expect Lalaland to be the setting for the second season.

The only part I liked was when it was first mentioned the time period was going to be the old golden age days of Hollywood.
Yes, that's anything but new, I know, but I just have a personal affinity for movies set in that time period.

NewChief 07-20-2015 08:55 AM

Ouch. Such a great list of the all the extraneous crap that the writer threw into this shitfest.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...her-lives.html

Quote:

True Detective Review: "Other Lives"
Episode 2.05

By Shane Ryan
July 20, 2015 | 9:35am
Share Tweet Share
<i>True Detective</i> Review: "Other Lives"
Here’s a semi-complete list of things I don’t care about after completing “Other Lives,” the fifth episode of True Detective’s second season:

—Frank Semyon’s obsession with the symbolism of ceiling stains.

—Frank Semyon’s philosophizing, delivered in increasingly painstaking monologues by Vince Vaughn.

—Frank Semyon’s fluctuating opinions on adoption, which range from “I don’t want somebody else’s problem” to “I’m saving a child version of myself.” All of which seem vaguely offensive.

—Frank Semyon’s fight to regain his lost influence, or his involvement with poker, or prostitution, or railroads, or land, or TCM.

—Santos, the dead guy. Was that the guy with the teeth? No?

—The ominous duo who visit Semyon, one of whom he calls “the Cisco Kid.”

—Semyon’s oily second-in-command who seems desperate to broadcast his treacherous nature to Semyon via smug looks, and is apparently running girls with Russians and a shrink.

—Russians.

—Shrinks.

—Any and all California politicians or railroad barons who seem to spend the majority of their lives engaged in weird and/or violent sex acts at big parties, because apparently nobody just has ordinary sex anymore.

—Mayor Chessani, and his comical, mumbly villain act.

—Mayor Chessani’s son.

—All the weird sexual stuff Mayor Chessani and his son get up to, which drove their mother crazy and which I hope never gets elaborated upon.

—Any deal involving Vinci paying off a guy who wants to run for governor.

—Vinci, California in general.

—Governors in general.

—California in general.

—Frank Semyon in general.

—The cult that Ani Bezzerides grew up in, which now seems involved with big sex parties.

—Ani Bezzerides’ father and his guru talk about “energies,” which is probably a cover for his involvement in the big sex parties.

—Big sex parties.

—Sex, anymore. The show ruined sex for me. I collect stamps now instead.

—Ani Bezzerides’ preferences in relation to the male genitalia, vis-a-vis length and girth.

—Half-hearted attempts at humor.

—Half-hearted attempts at social commentary (“If I were a man, I’d own the world”) that are so clearly written as a reaction to the fact that Nic Pizzolatto faced (stupid) criticism last year for people for crimes of omission against women. (PS—those same critics should be justifiably angry at him now for insulting their intelligence and pandering, but substance matters less than a social agenda, doesn’t it?)

—Lester Freamon—I mean Ani Bezzerides—working in the cage as a punishment.

—Ani Bezzerides’ sister, who is definitely going to die just when she got her life together, all because Bezzerides JUST CAN’T STOP WORKING.

—The wooden craft things her sister is making.

—Beaches.

—The ocean.

—Paul Woodrugh’s tortured sexuality.

—Paul Woodrugh’s mother, who I believe is dressed inappropriately around her son.

—Paul Woodrugh’s mother-in-law, who I believe is not respecting boundaries.

—Paul Woodrugh’s wife, who I believe should have raised the issue of her mother’s co-habitation in private, rather than ambushing him at the dinner table, because trust in a marriage is critically important, and if they’re planning to raise a child, they should have a clear and open line of communication that prioritizes the family’s interests and takes the concerns of both parties into account before any important decisions are made.

—Holy shit, why is any of this in the show?

—The girl Woodrugh didn’t proposition for a blow job.

—Her lawyer, Matt McCoy, who I’m pretty sure is playing the same character he just played in Silicon Valley, except less funny.

—Teague Dixon, who wasn’t even good at being a corrupt cop.

—Arterial spray.

—The “breaks” in the case, which come in the most dubious ways imaginable. Hey, some woman I barely remember just got a bunch of photos for reasons I don’t really understand, and she showed them to Ani! Hey, Ani sees a bunch of carrion birds that are going to lead her to a bloody shack!

—People who don’t clean up bloody shacks afterward.

—The fact that, when I think back to season one, I’m starting to believe that Rust Cohle wasn’t having visions, and that Nic Pizzolatto actually thinks birds are constantly attempting to communicate with people, like Lassie.

—Birds. They’re ruined too. Kill them all.

—The way we apparently need at least six episodes to establish why Ben Caspere was killed.

—Ben Caspere.

—Dead people in general. Let’s move on.

—Melancholy lounge singers.

—A dark atmosphere.

—The earth’s atmosphere.

—The Ozone layer.

—Global warming.

—Pluto.

—Did I say California yet?

—California.

Now that we’ve established that, here’s a fully complete list of things I do care about:

—Ray ****ing Velcoro.

section_break.gif

Look, I’m sorry to be glib here. I feel a little guilty already, because I started watching “Other Lives” with the full intention of writing a serious review. Coming in, I felt as though episode five could tip the balance on season two one way or another, and it did—this is still a sprawling, ambitious, and occasionally very intelligent show, but there are too many moments when the punch doesn’t land. The application of philosophy is aimless at best and excruciatingly awkward at worst, the character development seems more, not less, hackneyed as the season goes along, and the mystery is a dud—it reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in the sense that literally 100 percent of rich males with power are also deranged sex criminals. Corruption is interesting in art when it’s insidious, exerting a soft control, as in The Wire. That’s realistic. This is just blatant, all-consuming spiritual death, and it’s boring.

There’s one reason to keep watching this show, and that reason is Colin Farrell. Let’s take a moment and really consider the magnitude of what he’s doing, because it’s mind-blowing. HBO called on Farrell to follow Matthew McConaughey, who turned in what I consider to be one of the greatest television acting performances of all time, and to match his intensity and charisma while carrying the second season of a show that was bound to be bombarded with endless scrutiny.

Here’s the thing: He’s ****ing doing it. He’s living up to that challenge, and he’s doing it with a script that is far, far worse than season one, and with supporting actors that can’t hold a candle to Woody Harrelson. The character of Ray Velcoro is a goddamn miracle, and I’m sorry to keep swearing, but I feel passionately about this. He can’t rely on chemistry with his fellow actors, or an especially good story, or anything near the humor McConaughey employed to leaven his character, and yet there he is, week to week, coming on like a one-man army and keeping the whole thing relevant.

It’s amazing. Velcoro is magnetic, and dynamic, and totally compelling, and I don’t think there are three other actors on the planet who could pull off what Farrell is doing right now. Every second the guy is on screen is riveting, and you can’t help but lose yourself in the story until the scene ends and suddenly Vince Vaughn is raving about Michelangelo and telling some Chinese-American dude to stand in front of a tank.

And you just sit back, and you wait for him to return—for the pain, the flickers of hope, the rage, the despair. It’s all that matters. True Detective has become a one-trick pony, and that’s too bad, but man…what a trick.

Sure-Oz 07-20-2015 10:40 AM

Only thing I remotely care about is Farrell's character...now that he was setup by Frank I'm hoping something interesting happens the last 3 EPs.

ragedogg69 07-20-2015 11:03 AM

I am really annoyed that this show had a good half episode and now everyone on r/truedetective is calling it as good as season 1. not by a long shot.

gblowfish 07-20-2015 11:14 AM

This episode gave me blue balls of the heart.

Sure-Oz 07-20-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11607883)
I am really annoyed that this show had a good half episode and now everyone on r/truedetective is calling it as good as season 1. not by a long shot.

Absolutely not a good season it seems like they just reset everything now. It's really dragged up until now.

SLAG 07-20-2015 01:50 PM

That episode left a Soap Opera stench all over and I can't get it out of my damn drapes!

Anyong Bluth 07-20-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 11607897)
This episode gave me blue balls of the heart.

You were more effective delivering that line than Vince, and I didn’t even hear you!

Anyong Bluth 07-20-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11607740)
Ouch. Such a great list of the all the extraneous crap that the writer threw into this shitfest.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...her-lives.html

Good writeup. I'm on board with everything except the whole "only 3 people on the planet capable of..." thing.

Colin, not to be confused with Will, has definitely honed his craft and is a legitimate actor who has chops.
In Bruges is a masterpiece, and rarely does he turn in poor performances even if the movie is b-a-d. There are exceptions. I'm looking at you, Daredevil.

He's come a long way for sure. Especially when the rumor before he got his break in Hollywood was he slept his way to the top to get his shot. And, I don't mean with all the female studio execs, directors, or producers. *wink*wink*

Discuss Thrower 07-20-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Semyon[/quote
It's like I'm a toddler and they've dropped me in the deep end of the pool with cement floaties.

eDave 07-20-2015 10:37 PM

I'm enjoying it.

Brock 07-21-2015 12:40 AM

This episode was a little better.

smith11 07-21-2015 01:31 AM

because they did not begin the show with "Once upon a time..."

Bambi 07-21-2015 10:03 PM

Crazy how one of the best shows to come along in a long time went to something so bad...so fast.

GloucesterChief 07-21-2015 10:35 PM

There are reasons:
1)Too many characters.
--It would of been much stronger if it was just Velcoro and Bezzerides. Kitsch's character is so bland and cliche that I don't remember his name and don't care to know it. Vaughn should of had a more supporting role and less screen time in relation to Velcoro being dirty.

2) The plot is slow.
--It took way to long to get really going on the mystery.

3) The location.
--We have seen LA a million times. We have seen gritty poor LA many times. I think it would of been stronger setting it more in the now destitute and drought ridden central valley. Someplace we haven't seen a lot of like rural coastal Louisiana in season 1.

Bambi 07-21-2015 10:45 PM

From this...

http://acrossthemargin.com/wp-conten...2014/01/02.jpg

To this...

http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/07...adams-puke.gif

BigMeatballDave 07-23-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 11611178)
Crazy how one of the best shows to come along in a long time went to something so bad...so fast.

The problem you're having is you are thinking of this show as an ordinary drama series.

Think of it as individual miniseries. You can't compare it to last season because it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Anyong Bluth 07-24-2015 08:20 PM

Whispers of no 3rd season have started percolating.

Prison Bitch 07-24-2015 08:41 PM

No boobs. So insulting. Oh, they got too cozy with the intellectual lefties who watch HBO (plus me) that it's too insulting to show a hot chick with tits. (The New Yorker and Slate won't like it). We need the ball busting strong Wonder Woman character. That's the female of today - not those idiots who strip.

Anyway the show is ok and Vaughn is the best character. Don't care how it turns out but I'll watch. I guess.

Anyong Bluth 07-25-2015 09:16 AM

I don't care about the plot theories in the article, but I am interested in the possible real life source for the storyline in the 2nd season.

There’s a strange allure to True Detective Season 2, even for those who aren’t enjoying it very much. Beyond the fleeting thrill of seeing a main character potentially kick the bucket (only to be immediately resuscitated), lies the deeper fascination with why Season 2 is failing to land with many viewers when Season 1 was such a cultural phenomenon. It’s beginning to seem like Season 1’s delicate, winning balance of occult mystery and humanist philosophy may have come from the lightning-in-a-bottle mix of Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, director Cary Fukunaga, and creator Nic Pizzolatto. With only one of those four puzzle pieces back in place for Season 2, the balance is off.

But if it’s just occult mystery and bread-crumb trails you want, True Detective Season 2 has that in spades. And three episodes into this season, evidence is stacking up that in order to get to the bottom of the death of Ben Caspere and the rotten, interconnected corruption of Vinci, California, we’re going to have to look to Northern California and a real-life secret society that exists there to this day: the Bohemian Grove. Tucked away in the redwoods of Sonoma County, the mysterious summertime retreat boasts a roster of powerful, land-your-private-plane-at-a-tiny-local-airport, elite members and has prompted curious speculation and frustrated investigations ever since it was founded over 130 years ago. Here are five ways Pizzolatto has made a strong connection to the Bohemian Grove and how it could help unlock the mysteries of True Detective Season 2.

Location, Location, Location:

Any sharp-eared Northern Californian will have noticed that the tiny town of Guerneville (population 4,534) was mentioned twice in episode 2. Once in connection with Antigone’s father’s cult, The Good People (”Commune around Guerneville in the late 70s, 80s. Hippie shit.“), and again as the last-known location for the missing girl she’s trying to track down (”The call came from a Guerneville address,” her partner said). Sorry, Paul, I don’t think it’s Guerneville’s gay-friendly reputation we should be looking out for. But guess what’s just 12 minutes from Guerneville? That’s right, the Bohemian Grove. The missing girl’s co-workers told Ani in Episode 1 that she left to work the “club circuit” somewhere in Sonoma County. The Bohemian Grove hires young men and women to staff their summer gatherings every year so this could be where the missing woman with obvious ties to Ani’s father has disappeared to.

Friends in High Places:

The Bohemian Grove’s mystique is due, in large part, to the caliber of its famous members who are usually rich, white, and Republican and always male. Some notable Bohos (as they’re called) include William F. Buckley, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Calvin Coolidge, Walter Cronkite, Bing Crosby, Clint Eastwood, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, Barry Goldwater, Charlton Heston, Herbert Hoover, Henry Kissinger, Jack London, Steve Miller, Robert Mondavi, John Muir, Colin Powell, Ronald Reagan, Nelson Rockefeller, Theodore Roosevelt, Karl Rove, Donald Rumsfeld, and Mark Twain. To join the Bohemian Club, you must either be invited by several members, or wait for decades. Once you’re in, there’s the $25,000 initiation fee and the hefty yearly dues.

In the realm of the fictional True Detective universe, we have now seen photos of Mayor Austin Chessani posing with George W. Bush in both his office and his home. Depending on who you ask, the Bohemian Grove is either a hotbed of depraved, occult bacchanalia (more on that later) or the ultimate private location for back-room deals. (The Manhattan Project was allegedly conceived there in 1942.) The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but suffice it to say that the Grove is definitely known for its parties. In Episode 3, Chessani’s son told Detective Bezzerides he plans all kinds of parties, and his current wife tells Officer Woodrugh she met her husband at a party. So here we have a party-loving mayor with powerful, white, Republican friends, a history with mind-altering drugs, and ties to Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell, and now (because he’s got a vendetta against her) Rachel McAdams. No better candidate to be at the center of a Bohemian Grove–esque mystery.

Animal Imagery:

One of the more startling physical features of the Bohemian Grove is a 40-foot owl statue that looms over the lake. The Owl Shrine serves as the backdrop of the yearly Cremation of Care ceremony. At one point in the Grove’s history, Walter Cronkite reportedly recorded the voice of the owl for the annual ceremony. According to famed conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who infiltrated the Bohemian Grove in 2000 with a camera crew, the Cremation of Care ceremony is an occult event honoring the ancient god Moloch. However while documenting Jones’s investigation for his The Secret Rulers of the World series, journalist Jon Ronson interviewed comedian and former Grove attendee Harry Shearer, who said the ceremony was just harmless theatrics. But either way, a replica of the footage Jones captured of attendees dressed in robes and burning an effigy at the foot of the giant stone owl would make for striking television that might even rival the Yellow King in Carcosa.

Whatever the truth about the Grove may be, a reference to the owl statue could be the reason why we keep seeing bird imagery pop up everywhere this season. It’s not just that raven-head shooter from last week, there were birds in Rick Springfield’s office, in Chessani’s office, on the totem pole outside the Panticapaeum Institute, and in the Ben Caspere sound-proof sex bungalow. If we’re counting ducks, even Ray Velcoro’s dad had a bird figurine in his house and his bitter line of, “No country for white men,” in Episode 3 could easily be mistaken for the Bohemian Grove motto.

It’s All Connected:

There are a couple ways the connection aspect applies here. First of all, there are some critics who believe that the Season 2 mystery of True Detective might tie back to Season 1. (This kind of surprise connection worked really well for Fargo last year.) If that’s the case, I could easily see Reverend Tuttle from Season 1 folding into a Bohemian Grove conspiracy.

But more literally, this season of True Detective is all about a transportation project that will connect Southern and Northern California. (That’s why Ben Caspere’s G.P.S. reveals he was scouting out locations up north near Monterey, Fresno, and Gilroy.) Pizzolatto hinted to Vanity Fair that he based Vinci, the southern anchor of the story, on the real-life location of Vernon, California. Some speculate he also based the mystery of Season 1 on a real-life case out of Louisiana. Doesn’t it make sense, then, that the northern anchor of Season 2 would have a real-life counterpart as well? And doesn’t the Bohemian Grove just outside of Guerneville perfectly fit the bill?

Frustrated Masculinity:

So if Pizzolatto is trying to evoke the Bohemian Grove in Season 2, what’s it all about? Well, if we were to pinpoint one theme the series seems to be hitting pretty hard this year it would be frustrated masculinity: from Frank Semyon’s impotence and possible infertility, to Paul Woodrugh’s self-hatred surrounding his homosexuality, to Ray Velcoro’s utter failure as a father and husband, to the penis envy on Ani Bezzerides (what, you missed the part where she said she armed herself with knives to be more like one of the guys?). And if you want to look at bastions or frustrated masculinity, look no further than the Bohemian Grove.

Though there have been four honorary female members in the group’s history (including the club’s librarian!), no woman has ever been given full membership to the Bohemian Club. Women are allowed as daytime guests of the Grove, but they’re not allowed to the upper floors of the City Club nor are they allowed to attend the main summer encampment at the Grove. The Bohos were sued in 1979 for not hiring women and the case went all the way to the California Supreme Court who ruled, in 1986, that they would have to start hiring women at the Grove. In short, the Bohemian Grove is the very definition of the old boys’ club. How clever, then, if Nic Pizzolatto were to use this location to address the male-driven sins he was accused of indulging last year. It’s clear from a few rocky lines of dialogue that Pizzolatto is trying to directly address the gender criticisms from Season 1. Could striking at the heart of a fictional Bohemian Grove be the ultimate way to show his critics, once and for all, which side of the gender war he fights for? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is for certain: this isn’t the last we’ve heard from the mysterious goings-on in Northern California. As for the Grove itself? I hope you have your bird figures ready because the 2015 session starts on July 10.

GloucesterChief 07-25-2015 09:29 AM

There really isn't any real occultism like season 1. More just like corrupt people being corrupt.

The funny thing with this season is that the government and those connected to the government are coming off as much more insidious than actual organized crime.

GloucesterChief 07-26-2015 08:01 PM

Where was that in the first 4 and a half episodes?

Sure-Oz 07-26-2015 09:00 PM

Good episode ..crazy shit towards the end.

Anyong Bluth 07-26-2015 09:34 PM

This episode should have been the 4th or 5th at the latest out of the 8.

Prison Bitch 07-26-2015 09:38 PM

Much better

BWillie 07-26-2015 10:16 PM

Probably the best episode of the season IMO, but why the f*** didn't they expand upon Vaughn's relationship with Stan before now?

eDave 07-26-2015 10:29 PM

That was a lot of coke.

BigRedChief 07-26-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 11620735)
Good episode ..crazy shit towards the end.

Agree. This is what we are expecting. Quality episode this week.:thumb:

tk13 07-26-2015 11:38 PM

Probably took too long to get there, but that was a very good episode. I actually liked the surreal vibe. Colin Ferrell is just slaying it. The opening standoff, the scene with his kid, the meltdown, the call with the wife and the visit to prison... knocked every one of them out of the park. I think he's pretty much what's kept me watching. They could've made this whole season about him and it would've worked.

eDave 07-27-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 11620940)
Probably took too long to get there, but that was a very good episode. I actually liked the surreal vibe. Colin Ferrell is just slaying it. The opening standoff, the scene with his kid, the meltdown, the call with the wife and the visit to prison... knocked every one of them out of the park. I think he's pretty much what's kept me watching. They could've made this whole season about him and it would've worked.

His character just makes me uneasy and I love it. I've been in that scene with his kid. It's horrible. My son made a gun out of lego's. LOL

I got a kick out of the music as they were making their way to the orgy house for some reason.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-27-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11616694)
No boobs. So insulting. Oh, they got too cozy with the intellectual lefties who watch HBO (plus me) that it's too insulting to show a hot chick with tits. (The New Yorker and Slate won't like it). We need the ball busting strong Wonder Woman character. That's the female of today - not those idiots who strip.

Anyway the show is ok and Vaughn is the best character. Don't care how it turns out but I'll watch. I guess.

****, you're stupid.

KCUnited 07-27-2015 05:34 AM

Still mostly shit last night, but I did enjoy the underscore during the party scene. Very old Hollywood sounding.

"If that keeps you out of heaven, I don't want to go". Lol.

Sultrier, Kelly! I need more sultry when you enter the kitchen!

NewChief 07-27-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11620967)
****, you're stupid.

Come on, now. There's ample evidence that HBO has really cut down on the amount of nudity they show in recent years.ROFL

Anyong Bluth 07-27-2015 11:43 AM

It was no Eyes Wide Shut party.

I'm just saying. Better, higher grade whores back east for their secret society parties I guess?
The New York guys probably cast a wider net- less croppie.
Plus, isn't the mayor's idiot son in charge of rounding up talent? There's your problem right there, if that's the case.

Nor Cal = fresh off the boat grade.

NY area = fresh of the jet grade.

BigMeatballDave 07-27-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 11616660)
Whispers of no 3rd season have started percolating.

That is stupid.

Anyong Bluth 07-27-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11621447)
That is stupid.

Don't shoot the messager. It has been dropping viewers week to week apparently.