ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

smithandrew051 02-17-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17408107)
One of the best defensive runs in NFL history. Has anyone else ever shut down 4 top 5 offenses?

And these are modern era offenses too.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2024 07:34 PM

I wonder if we hear Veach talking in a month here about how the Omenihu injury changed the complexion of some things entering the offseason.

No, they have no business getting into an insane bidding war for Chris, but without Omenihu, it gets that much harder to imagine how we win with a Jones-less four-man rush in 2024. There’d have to be a damn good alternate plan.

George is good and I believe in FAU’s development plan, but there’s absolutely no way you can put most your eggs in those baskets with a three-peat staring you right in the face.

O.city 02-17-2024 07:40 PM

Cut omenihu and use that money for Chris ?

bigjosh 02-17-2024 07:41 PM

Sneed is the must.

I love jones, and likely always will unless he goes to a rival team this year.

But sneed is a top tier corner just entering his prime years. His counterpart at CB is mcduffie, who is cost controlled for the next 3 seasons. And the next three guys on the cb depth chart are on 4th round or later salaries.

The money we save on letting either go wont replace them, but if i had to have one it is sneed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugsnotdrugs19 02-17-2024 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17408147)

I don’t think they’ll do that to Charles right now. Hope they don’t. They did it with Fish but I’m not sure the juice is gonna be worth the squeeze on CO.

-King- 02-17-2024 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17408125)
Isn’t it reasonable to think that Bolton’s number would only go up if you wait another year?

He was good this year but had an injury and a few bad moments.

I definitely think this is the time to get it done for the next few seasons.

Really good players really have no incentive to sign early. The fact that you acknowledge that he would cost more next year should tell you why he should wait till next year to re-sign.

It's almost always worth taking the injury risk to bet on yourself if you're a consistently good player.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-17-2024 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17408107)
One of the best defensive runs in NFL history. Has anyone else ever shut down 4 top 5 offenses?

Not like that, no. The highest scoring team was the Niners and even they only scored 22 points in five quarters.

O.city 02-17-2024 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17408152)
I don’t think they’ll do that to Charles right now. Hope they don’t. They did it with Fish but I’m not sure the juice is gonna be worth the squeeze on CO.

He’s pretty out all year in an essential contract year

Does no good on the shelf

O.city 02-17-2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 17408156)
Really good players really have no incentive to sign early. The fact that you acknowledge that he would cost more next year should tell you why he should wait till next year to re-sign.

It's almost always worth taking the injury risk to bet on yourself if you're a consistently good player.

Yeah you’d basically have to overpay a bit to get him signed now

Guys don’t seem to sign early much anymore. Everyone wants to get to FA

RunKC 02-17-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17408141)
I wonder if we hear Veach talking in a month here about how the Omenihu injury changed the complexion of some things entering the offseason.

No, they have no business getting into an insane bidding war for Chris, but without Omenihu, it gets that much harder to imagine how we win with a Jones-less four-man rush in 2024. There’d have to be a damn good alternate plan.

George is good and I believe in FAU’s development plan, but there’s absolutely no way you can put most your eggs in those baskets with a three-peat staring you right in the face.

The more I think about it the more I believe that the Chiefs need to inject youth into their offense the way they did with their defense in 2022.

Mike Evans is 31. Sure he's been great but I think there's something to be said about adding juice from young talent. We saw it from Pacheco and Rice while the 30+ guys (Kelce/McKinnon) looked old throughout the season.

O.city 02-17-2024 07:54 PM

Need an offensive signing or two like tranquil and edwards

Otherwise….it’s the draft. Just gotta keep hitting

JohnnyHammersticks 02-17-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 17407940)
Sounds like Omenihu is hoping for an early extension. I’d sign up for that

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Didn’t have a full season and put up numbers. Does that go unnoticed? Might have to do it again to get what I want at the end.</p>&mdash; Charles Omenihu (@charless_94) <a href="https://twitter.com/charless_94/status/1758991681440145494?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 17, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7 sacks in 11 games.

Plus 2 more in less than 2 1/2 playoff games.

Needs to extend though '25, hopefully put in a full season and get paid somewhere.

O.city 02-17-2024 09:07 PM

He ain’t gonna sign an extension off an acl and neither are chiefs

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 17408149)
Sneed is the must.

maybe. If you sign Sneed. You can forget about signing McDuffie. No way Veach is paying top market for 2 corners.

Shag 02-17-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17408075)
Yup.

The tag was never designed to be used on guys looking for a 3rd deal; that 25% kicker makes it prohibitive and of little value to the team. There's next to no surplus to be created by dropping a $30+ million tag on Jones - it would be akin to hostage taking and little else.

It's designed for the exactly the situation the Chiefs face with Sneed. No real risk he holds out. Plenty surplus value created and a fair bit of leverage even in trying to work on a long-term deal.

It just doesn't make any sense at all to tag Jones. It makes ALL the sense in the world to tag Sneed.

Sneed's age works against him in this situation, and in KC's favor. He's 27 exiting his first contract, and if he just plays on the tag, he's now trying to negotiate a big payday at 28 (when most top guys are after their 3rd contract). And that's assuming he has another great/healthy season. It should be in his best interest to negotiate in good faith, but take a 3-4 year deal with KC, even if it's a little lower ACV than he could get on the open market.

Shag 02-17-2024 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17408247)
maybe. If you sign Sneed. You can forget about signing McDuffie. No way Veach is paying top market for 2 corners.

McDuffie has 3 more years on his rookie deal, the two are completely independent of each other. Unless something drastically changes with his play, KC is going to pay McDuffie regardless what happens with Sneed.

Chris Meck 02-17-2024 09:21 PM

Sneed's money years can easily be staggered to avoid Mcduffie's.

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 17408252)
McDuffie has 3 more years on his rookie deal, the two are completely independent of each other. Unless something drastically changes with his play, KC is going to pay McDuffie regardless what happens with Sneed.

Do the math. Tag Sneed. Both play this year. 1 more year you can tag Sneed. That’s 2025. McDuffie has one year left.

You are paying at least 4 years of the contract. You can’t pay both. One must walk or be traded.

Shag 02-17-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17408258)
Do the math. Tag Sneed. Both play this year. 1 more year you can tag Sneed. That’s 2025. McDuffie has one year left.

You are paying at least 4 years of the contract. You can’t pay both. One must walk or be traded.

Why are you tagging Sneed twice? That's not going to happen.

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 17408252)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17408257)
Sneed's money years can easily be staggered to avoid Mcduffie's.

No team that I can remember, paid full price for 2 all pro corners on the same team in the salary cap era for a reason. Okay you haven’t shut down corners and you are paying full freight for them. You have the highest paid QB in the league. You don’t think the team will have to sacrifice talent in other parts of the team?

bigjosh 02-17-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Who is advocating tagging sneed twice? If we sign him to a 4 year extension he will be in the last year of his deal on the first of mcduffies extension (first year always the cheapest)

The math almost works out perfectly to roster both for the next 4-5 years.

AusChief 02-17-2024 09:29 PM

Quote:

That’s the way I read it. We save over 7M. We simply can’t afford to have our 6th most expensive player miss the whole year. Or 90% of it. Of course it’s harsh but championships are razor thin margin. .

Either way you can basically take it to the bank that we told him he’s probably out or the restructure just pushes back his current cap hit back a year

Dunerdr 02-17-2024 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17408262)
No team that I can remember, paid full price for 2 all pro corners on the same team in the salary cap era for a reason. Okay you haven’t shut down corners and you are paying full freight for them. You have the highest paid QB in the league. You don’t think the team will have to sacrifice talent in other parts of the team?

Don’t tag him at all and stagger the contracts. It’s that simple. Definitely don’t tag him twice.

BigRedChief 02-17-2024 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17408307)
Don’t tag him at all and stagger the contracts. It’s that simple. Definitely don’t tag him twice.

you’ll have over $100 million of our cap committed to 2 CB’s and the QB.

bigjosh 02-17-2024 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17408363)

WHERE THE **** IS THIS THOUGHT COMING FROM?

THEY ARENT BOTH GETTING HUGE MONEY IN THE SAME YEARS.

WE ARE 3 YEARS AWAY FROM A MCDUFFIE EXTENSION

MVChiefFan 02-17-2024 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17408363)

Why do you keep trying to argue an incorrect point that’s been successfully challenged several times? What in the world are you not understanding? Who said anything about the asinine idea of tagging Sneed two years in a row and THEN trying to sign him to a long term, big money contract.

AGAIN, hopefully for the last time, if we sign Sneed he’ll be three years into his contract before we even have to worry about McDuffie. If you can’t understand how all this works, let the grown men talk and stay out of it. You’re not proving any kind of point… at all.

Hoover 02-17-2024 11:51 PM

2024 Sneed $ McDuffie Rookie Contract
2025 Sneed $ McDuffie Rookie Contract
2026 Sneed $ McDuffie 5th year option
2027 Sneed FA McDuffie gets paid

MVChiefFan 02-17-2024 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17408373)
2024 Sneed $ McDuffie Rookie Contract
2025 Sneed $ McDuffie Rookie Contract
2026 Sneed $ McDuffie 5th year option
2027 Sneed FA McDuffie gets paid

No, no, no, that’s not how it works. You have to do BRC math.

2024 Tag Sneed McDuffie rookie contract
2025 Tag Sneed McDuffie rookie contract
The next seven years after that, we’re paying Sneed and McDuffie ONE HUNDRED BILLION TRILLION QUADRILLION DOLLARS!!!

suzzer99 02-18-2024 12:01 AM

People who say keep Jones, let's say the Texans offer him 3 years, $32M APY, $65 million guaranteed. Are you matching that?

Pitt Gorilla 02-18-2024 12:14 AM

Sneed needs to come back. Rewatching playoffs games and watching Sneed jam receivers at the line down after down. Like, the WRs can't get down the field. AT ALL.

He's a monster.

bigjosh 02-18-2024 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 17408376)
People who say keep Jones, let's say the Texans offer him 3 years, $32M APY, $65 million guaranteed. Are you matching that?

Thats essentially a 2 year contract. If its structured so that we can afford to bring in a decent wr and retain sneed and one of the two free agent linebackers im good with it.

Something with cap hits like 25/35/36

Pitt Gorilla 02-18-2024 12:22 AM

And now, Sneed just wiped Reek out of a play.

Honestly, I'd recommend everyone just watch Sneed play the entire Fins playoff game. He was insane.

RealSNR 02-18-2024 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17405738)
You’re consistent in having conversations with yourself.

;)

But I like that Mooney is a thing now on CP.

When I first brought him up as a guy who could help us I was told he sucked.

How's your boy Braxton Berrios doing? It's too bad the Chiefs didn't piss shit away trying to acquire his worthless ass.

Dumbshit.

BenoniBenko 02-18-2024 04:40 AM

Chris Jones is only getting better with age. He's a bit like Reggie White. He will still be an unstoppable force into his mid 30's. We have to re-sign him. Sneed as well.

ChiefEd 02-18-2024 08:10 AM

While Veach has done a remarkable job juggling contracts to keep us competitive long term, I think he needs to push all of his chips in this year and go all-in for a chance at history. Even if it means “kicking the can down the road” a bit.

He’s way better at this than us, so I won’t fault him if he doesn’t. But Man, the three peat would (will) be incredible!

Wisconsin_Chief 02-18-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefEd (Post 17408437)
While Veach has done a remarkable job juggling contracts to keep us competitive long term, I think he needs to push all of his chips in this year and go all-in for a chance at history. Even if it means “kicking the can down the road” a bit.

He’s way better at this than us, so I won’t fault him if he doesn’t. But Man, the three peat would (will) be incredible!

This is exactly where I’m at. I want to make sure we are set up for success long term as well, but we just won two Super Bowls in years we had no business winning them. You absolutely go all in next year as much as possible and go for the 3-peat. You have to do it.

PAChiefsGuy 02-18-2024 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenoniBenko (Post 17408399)
Chris Jones is only getting better with age. He's a bit like Reggie White. He will still be an unstoppable force into his mid 30's. We have to re-sign him. Sneed as well.

Again, when you are paying a QB 16-17% of the salary cap that's just not realistic. One of them is probably going to leave.

You also have to keep in mind Nick Bolton will need to be resigned after next season.

ThyKingdomCome15 02-18-2024 08:51 AM

Quote:

That's the best comparison in my opinion. PHI regretted not paying him and so will we. It's an easy decision at this point. Pay him. What two other players are more important? Pay Sneed too.

Forget the overrated FA on the open market. We don't need them.

Red Dawg 02-18-2024 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 17408471)
Again, when you are paying a QB 16-17% or the salary cap that's just not realistic. One of them is probably going to leave.

You also have to keep in mind Nick Bolton will need to be resigned after next season.

Agreed. I doubt Jones stays. Sneed is younger and hasn't had an pay day.

Chris Meck 02-18-2024 09:07 AM

Quote:

Why in the world would you do that? No.

Say you give Sneed a 3 year deal. Whatever money, that's not the point here.

At the time his deal is up, he'll be 30-time to let corners walk or at least not do big money deals.

Mcduffie will just be coming up for his second contract with the 5th year option.

This is not a problem.

Now paying Jones AND Sneed, that might be a problem.

BigRedChief 02-18-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17408484)
Why in the world would you do that? No.

Say you give Sneed a 3 year deal. Whatever money, that's not the point here.

At the time his deal is up, he'll be 30-time to let corners walk or at least not do big money deals.

Mcduffie will just be coming up for his second contract with the 5th year option.

This is not a problem.

Now paying Jones AND Sneed, that might be a problem.

I stand corrected. I'll not attempt to do math on here again. :D

Hoover 02-18-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 17408465)
This is exactly where I’m at. I want to make sure we are set up for success long term as well, but we just won two Super Bowls in years we had no business winning them. You absolutely go all in next year as much as possible and go for the 3-peat. You have to do it.

The Chiefs can go all in because the tag is available for Sneed. The plan requires Chris Jones to play ball. But the way his bonuses were structured and all the BS from last year I actually think there is a chance.

Chris Meck 02-18-2024 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 17408522)
The Chiefs can go all in because the tag is available for Sneed. The plan requires Chris Jones to play ball. But the way his bonuses were structured and all the BS from last year I actually think there is a chance.

I'm doubtful. I hope so.

MIAdragon 02-18-2024 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 17408465)

I’d happily mortgage a few years of cap hell to win again next year. A three peat hits a little different.

RedinTexas 02-18-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Maybe more importantly, Mahomes has said he's willing to play ball.

Coogs 02-18-2024 09:56 AM

Is it legal for the Chiefs to be negotiating with Jones now? And Sneed for that matter? Or do we have to wait until the FA window opens since neither are under contract at the current time?

In58men 02-18-2024 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 17408535)
Is it legal for the Chiefs to be negotiating with Jones now? And Sneed for that matter? Or do we have to wait until the FA window opens since neither are under contract at the current time?

The NFL's legal tampering period begins at March 11 at noon ET. Teams are then allowed to start negotiating contracts with free agents.

Oxford 02-18-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

I wonder if there was a gentlemen's agreement last year that has them further along on a contract for this year. I know they did a few things in last year to let him make more money, but were hamstrung by the cap. I wonder what the tag is for Sneed?

Oxford 02-18-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

If players are released they can negotiate now, but when do contracts expire?

BossChief 02-18-2024 10:14 AM

Sneed will get tagged and CJ95 will hit free agency snd KC will get him extended for a bargain because other teams saw the Super Bowl speech snd know they are being used and that CJ won’t be signing with them.

If Sneed agrees to an extension, that likely helps Veach take a “big swing” to upgrade the WR room via FA. If he plays on the tag and we re-sign CJ, we shouldn’t expect anything else in FA other than some bargain signings and maybe Tranquill or Gay returning.

BossChief 02-18-2024 10:16 AM

Quote:

That’s only relevant for negotiations with other teams FAs. We’ve been able to negotiate with Sneed since his third year ended.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-18-2024 10:42 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5BK4AmS60dw?si=wPQXgI3cXa3BVVEG" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Urc Burry 02-18-2024 10:57 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Green Bay Packers are expected to release All-Pro OT David Bakhtiari, per <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthletic?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheAthletic</a> <a href="https://t.co/VJ9Jnbqkjx">pic.twitter.com/VJ9Jnbqkjx</a></p>&mdash; SleeperNFL (@SleeperNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SleeperNFL/status/1759240416740999395?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’m sure he’s going to be penciled in for the jets. But that would make him a huge hypocrite for how much shit he talks on that field.

Terrible injury history. But having Wanya there who can be ready to go at least makes it intriguing. Dude is a top 5 guy when he’s out there

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 17408381)
And now, Sneed just wiped Reek out of a play.

Honestly, I'd recommend everyone just watch Sneed play the entire Fins playoff game. He was insane.

Gave up one TD all season, IIRC. And it took that perfect throw and catch from Allen to Shakir on a truly indefensible play where Sneed actually had good coverage.

If tagging Seed meant we'd lose Jones, I'd do it anyway. But tagging Sneed doesn't preclude re-signing Jones. Tagging Jones and letting Sneed hit the FA market unencumbered with the MASSIVE cap hold that Jones would carry does mean you'd lose Sneed.

There's only one answer here and its just laughably obvious, IMO.

Dunerdr 02-18-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 17408597)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Green Bay Packers are expected to release All-Pro OT David Bakhtiari, per <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthletic?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheAthletic</a> <a href="https://t.co/VJ9Jnbqkjx">pic.twitter.com/VJ9Jnbqkjx</a></p>&mdash; SleeperNFL (@SleeperNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SleeperNFL/status/1759240416740999395?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’m sure he’s going to be penciled in for the jets. But that would make him a huge hypocrite for how much shit he talks on that field.

Terrible injury history. But having Wanya there who can be ready to go at least makes it intriguing. Dude is a top 5 guy when he’s out there

He’s never on the field. Love his play but hell no.

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

No he isn't.

His best season was 2022. Last year wasn't as good. Next year won't be as good as this year.

That's the way age works fellas.

Jones has 2 and maybe 3 years as a damn good player but he's not 'improving with age'.

RealSNR 02-18-2024 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 17408597)

That guy is literally a goddamn corpse. He's not worth a roll of the dice.

BossChief 02-18-2024 11:15 AM

If we are being honest and thinking this through, the BEST result is probably tag/trade Sneed. Even though there would be a dropoff, we would get a really good return (likely a first, or a couple 2s) and I think we have the talent in that room to move everyone up a peg. Joshua Williams seems more than capable of a larger role in this defense.

I hate to say it, but I think those kind of draft resources coupled with the available cap space the trade would create could potentially give Veach the kind of ability to make this offense completely unstoppable.

ROYC75 02-18-2024 11:19 AM

Sneed was on the Up & Adams show talking about his pending FA saying, Pay Me, Pay Me, Pay Me, all the while saying he hopes to stay here.

Says he's hopefully but doubtful we can afford both him & CJ

BigCatDaddy 02-18-2024 11:20 AM

Quote:

Hell no! Omenihu is a 10 + sack guy in a full season.

O.city 02-18-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 17408631)

He’s also goin to miss the whole season, his last season under contract

Chris Meck 02-18-2024 11:26 AM

Quote:

yeah, I think I'd try an extension/re-structure with Omenihu. If you can get 2024's hit way down I think you can make it to where it's a good value deal moving forward. I think he's a good player and still young.

O.city 02-18-2024 11:27 AM

He’s not gonna want to sign an extension without playing. He wouldn’t be able to max out

philfree 02-18-2024 11:28 AM

Quote:

He won't play a full season this season. Maybe a restructure to make some cap space.

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17408636)
He’s also goin to miss the whole season, his last season under contract

Would still rather extend him for a year.

And he does have reason to do so - it'll have him in the building rehabbing instead of out there without a team. He'd essentially need a 2-year deal with any team he's looking to sign with anyway so there's no reason not to extend here.

Nobody's going to sign him to a 1 year deal coming off an ACL. He'll either sit in FA until November (again, rehabbing on his own) and take some pro-rated minimum deal. Or he can restructure via extension, get a quick signing bonus/restructure check and have a great deal of stability in his rehab without making any real sacrifice in the process.

An extension makes all the sense in the world for him. It makes a great deal of sense for us as well.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't happen.

O.city 02-18-2024 11:30 AM

The situation for him makes sense to extend here but you also have a guy coming off an injury. It’s likely he comes back but you never know

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17408641)
He’s not gonna want to sign an extension without playing. He wouldn’t be able to max out

Not gonna be able to max out anyway. And if he gets cut, he's not going to be in a position to seek a prominent 1-year deal; he's looking at a probably zero in guarantees and likely no pay check at all until he's healthy. This is a guy who went 2nd wave of FA even coming off a career year and with a clean bill of health. He still had to settle for a 2 year deal with us.

He's not getting 3/$45 million from anyone if we cut him. He's not getting 1/$8 million either.

He's in a hell of a bind here. He should be looking to extend for a season here. He'd still be in a good position to hit big in FA after the 2025 season should he have a nice 2025 season.

O.city 02-18-2024 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17408649)
Not gonna be able to max out anyway. And if he gets cut, he's not going to be in a position to seek a prominent 1-year deal; he's looking at a probably zero in guarantees and likely no pay check at all until he's healthy. This is a guy who went 2nd wave of FA even coming off a career year and with a clean bill of health. He still had to settle for a 2 year deal with us.

He's not getting 3/$45 million from anyone if we cut him. He's not getting 1/$8 million either.

He's in a hell of a bind here. He should be looking to extend for a season here. He'd still be in a good position to hit big in FA after the 2025 season should he have a nice 2025 season.

He had the suspension looming from the DV thing

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17408652)
He had the suspension looming from the DV thing

Which is quite a bit less onerous and easier to plan around than a torn ACL.

suzzer99 02-18-2024 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17408551)
Sneed will get tagged and CJ95 will hit free agency snd KC will get him extended for a bargain because other teams saw the Super Bowl speech snd know they are being used and that CJ won’t be signing with them.

Then why wouldn't they make an offer just to drive the price up for the Chiefs?

I'm pretty sure the Jets knew they were being played by Tyreek. But they didn't care because it made Miami pay that much more in draft picks and salary.

DJ's left nut 02-18-2024 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 17408662)
Then why wouldn't they make an offer just to drive the price up for the Chiefs?

I'm pretty sure the Jets knew they were being played by Tyreek. But they didn't care because it made Miami pay that much more in draft picks and salary.

Yeah - teams will price enforce. If they aren't, they're idiots.

And there may be a fair number of idiots out there but there aren't ALL stupid. There will be teams that throw numbers out there just to complicate matters and should he say yes, well it's all the same to them. They have the cap space and need a star player thye can use to sell tickets.

There's no downside to 'being played' by a free agent.

BIG_DADDY 02-18-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17400565)
Interestingly enough, I feel the Cowboys could potentially make a push for Chris Jones. Jerruh thinks Dak and the offense can be good enough, so he wants a bone wrecking defense. Jones lined up next to Parsons? Haha, sheeeeiiiit.

He wants Sneed and Jones.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-18-2024 12:36 PM

Maybe we are point blank missing the offseason pathway which feels so obviously right in front of our faces.

This draft class is being lauded for incredible strength at WR and OT. Fill the offensive needs there and inject youth into the unit that needs it most.

Spend your money on Chris and LJ.

The team is 10000% certifiably better entering 2024.

kozzman555 02-18-2024 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17408735)
Maybe we are point blank missing the offseason pathway which feels so obviously right in front of our faces.

This draft class is being lauded for incredible strength at WR and OT. Fill the offensive needs there and inject youth into the unit that needs it most.

I think the issue with that is the complicated offense we run under HCAR. It takes awhile for receivers and o-line to pick up everything. Plus you have to add in time for the receivers to gel with Mahomes and for o-line to gel with each other and get used to Mahomes crazy drop backs and scrambles. I agree we need to address WR, OL, and DL in the draft, but we can't just count on rookies stepping up. We are not going to have a good time next season unless we supplement that with some decent vets, like a Juju.

Pitt Gorilla 02-18-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Literally what I've been saying all along. I thought it was pretty obvious.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-18-2024 03:53 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Due to his 2023 cap number, Chiefs DL Chris Jones&#39; projected franchise tag would be $32 million - instead of the regular $19.7M - making him an unlikely tag candidate. <a href="https://t.co/0bLVyZZgsm">https://t.co/0bLVyZZgsm</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1759335193742102919?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RunKC 02-18-2024 04:01 PM

If the Chiefs do lose Chris Jones than they need to attack the 2nd and 3rd wave value FA's to boost the talent and flexibility.

Omenihu, Reid, Tranquill, Edwards and D. Smith combined equaled Chris Jones 2023 cap number.

MahomesMagic 02-18-2024 04:05 PM

This offseason the focus needs to be on rebuilding the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

We need WR's as we have only drafted 1 WR playable as a 1,2, or 3 in 6 years.

That needs to change.

RedinTexas 02-18-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Patrick is planning another workout session at some university where several high profile WRs will happen to want to workout too. I'm sure Patrick is also learning quickly about what to look for. Veach and the coaching staff have probably had "discussions" with Patrick about what they all want.

RunKC 02-18-2024 04:31 PM

Seahawks are over $5 million over the cap. Just saw that they can save $17 million cutting Tyler Lockett and is expected to be cut due to JSN.

He's 31 so I doubt Veach would go for him but damn he fits exactly what we need