ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

KingPriest2 02-11-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17391161)
Because he tore his ACL and likely won't be available until the last month of the season, and won't be anywhere near 100% for the entirety of the season.

I mean, feel free to argue it all day long that we should keep him but I'm 100% on the other side of that fence and not changing my position on it. If he is usable come playoff time, sign him to a short deal then. Otherwise, just use the 7.2m to get someone who can help the entire season.

The only way I'd say keep him is if there is an injury guarantee I don't know about.

No. They’re thinking he ll be ready the first game busynr miss the first 4 games

He good.

Rausch 02-11-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17391340)

But you have the flexibility to design the last contact in a similar way, a nice 7-or-8-or-10 year long deal that lets you continue to flexibly push money forward as needed.

You have an idea how much the money we pushed forward earlier this year impacts the cap this off season? I know before that happened we were pretty cherry. I haven't seen anything that addressed it after the money was moved around...

Couch-Potato 02-11-2024 03:14 PM

3-Peat!!!

duncan_idaho 02-11-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17391710)
You have an idea how much the money we pushed forward earlier this year impacts the cap this off season? I know before that happened we were pretty cherry. I haven't seen anything that addressed it after the money was moved around...

I mean, 1/5 of it hits the 24 cap instead of this year's cap. Spotrac does a pretty good job tracking prorated bonuses (they're all in one bucket, though. It doesn't break them out.)

Coogs 02-11-2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17391422)
Theoretically, sure. Unlikely though.

I'd agree. But he has got to be making bank on endorsements. Maybe he is willing to drop his contract back a bit to help with his chase at history. That would be a place he could cut it back.

BWillie 02-11-2024 04:01 PM

Why wouldn't we just franchise tag Sneed and then let him walk when hes 28.5 years old? Seems like an obvious play to me but maybe Im missing something. With Watson, McDuffie and Wiliams in the wings

DavidB 02-11-2024 04:38 PM

Lately, we have hit big in the draft, especially the 2022 draft - then the 2021 draft. Wish Mahomes could take a discount or work something out - I know he is the greatest quarterback ever....

suzzer99 02-12-2024 11:25 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">L’ Jarius Sneed got welcomed home like a true champ! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://t.co/JA144WkS1i">pic.twitter.com/JA144WkS1i</a></p>&mdash; Dante&#39; Jones (@Dantej21) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dantej21/status/1757232378110493172?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 13, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sneed's neighborhood doing work to try to make him not want to leave. They gave him a big send off too.

comochiefsfan 02-12-2024 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidB (Post 17391868)
Lately, we have hit big in the draft, especially the 2022 draft - then the 2021 draft. Wish Mahomes could take a discount or work something out - I know he is the greatest quarterback ever....

I’m sure Patrick will do what he can to help within reason.

At the same time, he undoubtedly feels a responsibility to help his peers get paid their worth so he’s never going to take a huge discount.

I believe at the postgame presser he said he was willing to restructure and try to create more room for next season.

Chief Pagan 02-13-2024 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 17399211)
I’m sure Patrick will do what he can to help within reason.

At the same time, he undoubtedly feels a responsibility to help his peers get paid their worth so he’s never going to take a huge discount.

I believe at the postgame presser he said he was willing to restructure and try to create more room for next season.

Why are his peers other QBs on other teams? If the Lamars and the Burrows get paid more, it just means their teammates get paid less. With the cap, it is a zero sum game.

And it seems odd to be worrying about whether those guys are making 35 mil a year or 50 mil year, no?

irafreak 02-13-2024 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17399223)
Why are his peers other QBs on other teams? If the Lamars and the Burrows get paid more, it just means their teammates get paid less. With the cap, it is a zero sum game.

And it seems odd to be worrying about whether those guys are making 35 mil a year or 50 mil year, no?

Agreed. There's just such a disconnect with athletes and the outside world in terms of making money for a living (i realize it's a scoreboard to a lot of them just trying to prove their worth by making more than their peers). How many mansions do you need? Hell just place 35 million in the bank and live off the interest.

Rausch 02-13-2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irafreak (Post 17399310)
Agreed. There's just such a disconnect with athletes and the outside world in terms of making money for a living (i realize it's a scoreboard to a lot of them just trying to prove their worth by making more than their peers). How many mansions do you need? Hell just place 35 million in the bank and live off the interest.

The players want a bigger share of the revenue coming in. And revenue is at an all time high while the cap only goes up 10-20% each year.

It's the player's bodies that get ruined. It's their 10-15 surgeries during a career. I don't blame them.

kccrow 02-13-2024 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2 (Post 17391687)
No. They’re thinking he ll be ready the first game busynr miss the first 4 games

He good.

On what planet?

It takes about 6 months before you can even start really moving on it and doing serious rehab. That puts you at training camp. Another 3 months just to get to about 75% and maybe play. That puts you into November. It can take another 6 months to get to 100%, meaning he won't be at 100% for any segment of the season so whatever he does play won't be optimal.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irafreak (Post 17399310)

This is something that comes up that never makes ****ing sense to me.

"He has to get that money while he can."

WHAT MONEY? HOW MUCH?

Anyone on the planet should be able to live out their life with 5 million in the bank if they just aren't out buying dumb shit on the daily like Iverson did.

So I wish people would STFU about this when these dudes make enough in one season to last for them and their grandkids lives.

Seriously. Who knows how much Pat even makes from just endorsements alone. Kelsey is worth over 100 million. Pat has to already have that.

So why is this even a discussion in here? I've never understood these convos.

TheGuardian 02-13-2024 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 17399313)
The players want a bigger share of the revenue coming in. And revenue is at an all time high while the cap only goes up 10-20% each year.

It's the player's bodies that get ruined. It's their 10-15 surgeries during a career. I don't blame them.

Dude I'm friends with LOTS of former NFL players and work with them at times, and this shit is not true. None of it. Sure there's guys here or there with lasting injuries but this shit has been blown so out of proportion it's insane.

And even if you needed 10 surgeries why do you need 50 million dollars?