ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Child dies at Schlitterbahn in KCK (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301310)

jspchief 08-08-2016 01:38 PM

Some info I've come across:

1. There is a minimum and maximum weight for the ride. You are weighed at the bottom and again at the top before you board. Lightest in front, heaviest in back. Minimum is 400lbs and allegedly boy was with 2 females... potentially underweight?

2. You wear 2 velcro straps. Lap belt and around chest. Workers check straps before you are released. Rumors that his straps failed.

3. Essentially weight and straps keep you from flying off when cresting second hill at high speed. There is video showing test rafts going airborne. They installed nets supported by metal hoops to catch flying people. Pictures of bent metal hoops at the previously mentioned crest. So he was launched airborne at high speed (60+ mph?) into a steel bar.

4. Also heard Kansas has a cap on lawsuits of this nature of $250k.

Predarat 08-08-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12357533)

I wonder how the before got to the point that it actually got constructed, that looks like something out of the old Action Park in Jersey.

Pitt Gorilla 08-08-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 12357559)
Some info I've come across:

1. There is a minimum and maximum weight for the ride. You are weighed at the bottom and again at the top before you board. Lightest in front, heaviest in back. Minimum is 400lbs and allegedly boy was with 2 females... potentially underweight?

2. You wear 2 velcro straps. Lap belt and around chest. Workers check straps before you are released. Rumors that his straps failed.

3. Essentially weight and straps keep you from flying off when cresting second hill at high speed. There is video showing test rafts going airborne. They installed nets supported by metal hoops to catch flying people. Pictures of bent metal hoops at the previously mentioned crest. So he was launched airborne at high speed (60+ mph?) into a steel bar.

WTF?

BryanBusby 08-08-2016 01:45 PM

Jesus

Leslie Castaneda, told KMBC-TV the boy’s brother watched the incident unfold.

“The little boy said to a worker, ‘I just saw my little brother die because of one of your attractions,'” Castaneda said.

eDave 08-08-2016 01:46 PM

https://i.imgur.com/iLdmUI3.gif

wazu 08-08-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

If true then that slide isn't going away.

journeyscarab 08-08-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12357575)

Broke apart in midair!

Rain Man 08-08-2016 01:49 PM

Stuff like this makes me worry that all new rides are going to be those terrible computer screen ones where they show a video of a roller coaster and then make your stationary chair vibrate and move. Those things are the worst.

Rain Man 08-08-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12357570)
WTF?

Brownback likes small numbers.

Pitt Gorilla 08-08-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12357583)
Stuff like this makes me worry that all new rides are going to be those terrible computer screen ones where they show a video of a roller coaster and then make your stationary chair vibrate and move. Those things are the worst.

Roller coasters aren't going anywhere, as they are relatively safe. The folks behind this slide didn't appear to have even a rudimentary understanding of physics.

DJ's left nut 08-08-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

That's a non-economic damages cap (pain and suffering). I'm not sure that it would include future earnings and things of that nature that could be included in a wrongful death suit. By and large, lost earning potential is considered economic damage, though it may also be considered too speculative to award.

And that wouldn't speak to a punitive damages cap, which is $5 million in Kansas. Given Schiltterbaun's size, $5 million would be doable, especially given their knowledge of the dangers the slide presented.

WhawhaWhat 08-08-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12357583)

Those rides make me nauseous. The real ones are awesome though, no problems at all other than the wait in lines.

DJ's left nut 08-08-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12357570)
WTF?

A lot of states are putting them in. Some states have struck them down as unconstitutional, others have not. Missouri struck theirs down; Kansas upheld it.

I mean, people are constantly bitching about slip and fall cases yielding windfalls through pain and suffering. They complain about wildly exorbitant jury awards. Well this was the legislative response; cap them and keep juries from going insane. And given the prevalence of forum shopping in Kansas, it makes sense (attorneys in St. Louis know about the generosity of Wyandotte County juries).

Easy 6 08-08-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12357462)
You bounce up and a small head could get in the netting or strike a support. At that speed, it's going to be traumatic.

The speed, and not to mention the weight with two other kids plus the raft itself

Mass x acceleration = deadly

eDave 08-08-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12357588)
Those rides make me nauseous. The real ones are awesome though, no problems at all other than the wait in lines.

I love coasters. Can't do Space Mountain though. That one freaked me out for some reason. Really bad. I was scared to death. And I was in my 30's when I rode it. The dark freaked me teh **** OUT. It's hard to keep one's head on a ride like that.

/shudder