ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:46 AM

Why do LCD audiences lap this crap up like labradoodles?

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805123)
It's not about "lowering" one's self. I just don't find it funny, never have. Humor is subjective, you know?

Ive just noticed it in alot of professional film critics over the years. They have a hard time enjoying lowbrow stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with it, nor should anyone be embarrassed by it.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805125)
Why do LCD audiences lap this crap up like labradoodles?

Alot of the popular stuff is driven by the teen to mid 20s Friday night/sat night crowds.

That particular audience is basically just wanting to have a good time. They dont want to have to "think".

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8805127)
Ive just noticed it in alot of professional film critics over the years. They have a hard time enjoying lowbrow stuff.

Theres nothing wrong with it, nor should anyone be embarrassed by it.

I'm completely OK with not liking it. I like what I like. Hate the Stooges. But I love Airplane. Wanted to kill myself for the 45 minutes of Superbad I watched. Wedding Crashers is hysterical. Can't stand Mel Brooks. I've seen 90 percent of his work, and the only one I've enjoyed was the original Producers. Hate Dangerfield with such a passion it's almost holy.

Love Kennison, Pryor, early/mid-career Robin Williams (not so much the last 5-10 years), Mitch Hedberg, Steve Martin stand-up (not the early movies), early Eddie Murphy, some George Carlin...

Micjones 08-10-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805089)
Stranger Than Fiction and Everything Must Go are the only two Farrell movies worth watching. Anything else and we're just discussing degrees of crap.

Interesting.
Each is his own I suppose.

patteeu 08-10-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805114)
I'm not trying to be a "cool kid". I actually don't like a lot of popular comedy. Can't stand Ferrell, Sandler, Farley... mostly don't like Steve Carrell or Jim Carrey. All except Farley have done at least a couple movies I enjoyed, but most were non-standard fare for them.
  • Ferrell: Stranger Than Fiction, Everything Must Go
  • Sandler: The Wedding Singer, Funny People, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love
  • Farley: .......
  • Carrell: Crazy Stupid Love, Dan in Real Life
  • Carrey: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Man on the Moon, Truman Show

I like Ferrell probably the least of all of them. He's the only one I'll actually leave the room for.

I'm with you on most of this, although I enjoy Carrell's, Carrey's and some of Ferrell's more standard comedies too.

Crazy Stupid Love, Dan in Real Life, and ESotSM were great movies. And Wedding Singer and Punch Drunk Love are the only Sandler movies I can stand (although I haven't seen Reign Over Me).

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8805160)
I'm with you on most of this, although I enjoy Carrell's, Carrey's and some of Ferrell's more standard comedies too.

Crazy Stupid Love, Dan in Real Life, and ESotSM were great movies. And Wedding Singer and Punch Drunk Love are the only Sandler movies I can stand (although I haven't seen Reign Over Me).

Reign Over Me is worth seeing if you liked Punch Drunk Love. Completely non-comedy, though.

mikeyis4dcats. 08-10-2012 08:41 AM

Everything Must Go might be my favorite Ferrell movie. Next would be ELF and Anchorman. Then a couple of notches down everything else.

patteeu 08-10-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8805166)
Reign Over Me is worth seeing if you liked Punch Drunk Love. Completely non-comedy, though.

I did, so I will check it out.

ThaVirus 08-10-2012 02:29 PM

The Campaign was OK. Worth a Redbox, probably nothing more.

The new Bourne movie was good. A bit slow but they were introducing a new character and a mildly dissimilar plot. Tension was good. Renner was good.

Spoiler!

The Franchise 08-10-2012 03:19 PM

Watched "The Lorax" last night with the kids.

It was better than I thought it was going to be. The kids didn't really pay attention though.

Bump 08-10-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

I'm not trying to be a "cool kid". I actually don't like a lot of popular comedy. Can't stand Ferrell, Sandler, Farley... mostly don't like Steve Carrell or Jim Carrey. All except Farley have done at least a couple movies I enjoyed, but most were non-standard fare for them.

I like Ferrell probably the least of all of them. He's the only one I'll actually leave the room for.

it's fine if you don't like it, it doesn't make them bad though, necessarily.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8806341)
it's fine if you don't like it, it doesn't make them bad though, necessarily.

Sure it does. Are you new here? :p

Deberg_1990 08-10-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Carrell OWNED in The Original Bruce Almighty, Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin, and Little Miss Sunshine.

DBOSHO 08-10-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw Jim Duggan (Post 8806301)
Watched "The Lorax" last night with the kids.

It was better than I thought it was going to be. The kids didn't really pay attention though.

I really liked the lorax. It was very entertaining and i plan on renting it again.

Buehler445 08-10-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8805050)
Ferrell's work has always been hit-and-miss for me.
"Stranger Than Fiction" was ass.
"Talladega Nights" was the very next film.

I feel quite the opposite. I liked Stranger Than Fiction and really don't like Talladega Nights.

BigMeatballDave 08-11-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8805050)
Ferrell's work has always been hit-and-miss for me.
"Stranger Than Fiction" was ass.
"Talladega Nights" was the very next film.

Stranger than Fiction is very good.

Talladega Nights was stupid

-King- 08-11-2012 04:28 PM

I'll be the one to drop the bombshell....

Anchorman isn't that funny.

KChiefer 08-11-2012 04:50 PM

Elf was great!

DBOSHO 08-11-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8809980)

To each his own. As far as "stupid" comedies go, its at the top of the list IMO.

Some ppl just dont dig those type of comedies.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

I think I posted in this thread fairly recently that I actually turned it off. "Isn't that funny" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Buehler445 08-11-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

I've only seen it once. And Steve Carrell is the funny part IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8810006)
Elf was great!

Wife lives it. I hate it. Infinitely.

Jenson71 08-11-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8806660)
Carrell OWNED in The Original Bruce Almighty, Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin, and Little Miss Sunshine.

Carrell had a scene in Bruce Almighty where I actually had tears coming down in the theater. It was when his voice was taken over by Bruce.

Also, as far as brainless recent comedies go, Stepbrothers is a guilty pleasure. "We literally have never done any of those things."

ThaVirus 08-11-2012 11:29 PM

You have to turn off your brain for all of Ferrells movies. He's the best thing since Jim Carrey though.

Aries Walker 08-12-2012 12:32 AM

I just watched Hunger Games. It was good, I guess, even though it was fairly shallow and some of the characters were dumb as dirt, but I don't like the direction it takes. I'd rather we as a society not lose the taboo against showing children get killed for our entertainment.

Huffmeister 08-12-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4580436)
Anyone watch The Nines?

I just got done watching this one. Pretty interesting flick with Ryan Reynolds. Definitely belongs in the "What the...?" category. Good, but not great.

Bowser 08-12-2012 02:24 PM

Whatever happened to irishjayhawk, anyway?

KcMizzou 08-12-2012 04:23 PM

If you can deal with the played out shaky cam style, this is a pretty trippy movie. It's a horror anthology (think 5 short stories). Lots of blood, guts and boobs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iv6S3RGMGw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the Talking Can 08-13-2012 07:47 AM

saw the new Bourne movie

it was better and worse than I expected...it was actually traveling along pretty good and then ends with what feels like the 2nd act...major anti-climax, imo

should have been about 2/3 through a good movie...

up to that point I liked how they were developing it, in spite of not being a big Renner fan, and in spite of some eye-rolling science...

Rachel Weisz was excellent, and gets hotter as she ages...

KevB 08-15-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8660625)
Just finished The Raid: Redemption

BADASS, one of the best action movies Ive seen in a looong time.

Agreed. Saw this last night, it's available on RedBox. Damn, non-stop adrenaline rush of action. Highly recommend for action fans.

QuikSsurfer 08-15-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8820002)
Agreed. Saw this last night, it's available on RedBox. Damn, non-stop adrenaline rush of action. Highly recommend for action fans.

Yup. Fantastic movie as far as action goes. No slow-mo bullshit -- all fast, live action.

ThaVirus 08-18-2012 01:13 PM

American Reunion was good if only for the barely legal, neighbor girls tits.

ThaVirus 08-18-2012 01:13 PM

In58men 08-18-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

You can stand Chris Farley? Go kill your ****ing self

chasedude 08-19-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8828978)

I'd given up on that movie franchise. First one was funny, all went down hill from there.

Aries Walker 08-23-2012 04:55 AM

I saw Red Riding Hood. It was bad, but not terrible. Gary Oldman and Julie Christie are wasted; Amanda Seyfried is really good, but the two leading men are horrible; the Wolf is actually a pretty effective Gothic-horror villain-monster.

But be warned: cliches abound. You've seen everything in this movie before.

Fire Me Boy! 08-23-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8843815)
I saw Red Riding Hood. It was bad, but not terrible. Gary Oldman and Julie Christie are wasted; Amanda Seyfried is really good, but the two leading men are horrible; the Wolf is actually a pretty effective Gothic-horror villain-monster.

But be warned: cliches abound. You've seen everything in this movie before.

I feel like I've seen everything in this post before.

patteeu 08-23-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8843856)
I feel like I've seen everything in this post before.

LMAO

lcarus 08-23-2012 11:09 AM

You know what pisses me off? Every time I think of a movie or show I would like to watch, Netflix doesn't have it on instant watch. NEVER. I think to myself all the time "Hmm, I sure would love to watch *insert movie/show here*. Maybe Netflix has it!". Nope. Never. They can sure put a million shit movies up though. **** Netflix. I'm cancelling it right now.

Ceej 08-23-2012 11:11 AM

Rented Bernie, Hell, The Haunting of Whaley House and the Corridor.

mr. tegu 08-23-2012 10:46 PM

I just watched a couple movies these past few weeks I should have seen long ago. Good Will Hunting, True Romance, The Siege, and The Score.

I know there are lots of others I need to see. First one that comes to mind is Citizen Kane and some others.

KcMizzou 08-23-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8846450)
I just watched a couple movies these past few weeks I should have seen long ago. Good Will Hunting, True Romance, The Siege, and The Score.

I know there are lots of others I need to see. First one that comes to mind is Citizen Kane and some others.

True Romance is often overlooked and under rated. Another is Kalifornia.

<object width="450" height="304"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/1206"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/1206" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="304" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

KcMizzou 08-23-2012 11:07 PM

Pitt was awesome at those "crazy" roles. (12 Monkeys) I'd like to see more of that. These days he's always the hero.

-King- 08-24-2012 09:51 PM

Watching Real Steel right now. This movie makes Transformers look like a masterpiece. It makes the Fast and the Furious storyline seem as complex as Inception.
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou 08-24-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8850579)
Watching Real Steel right now. This movie makes Transformers look like a masterpiece. It makes the Fast and the Furious storyline seem as complex as Inception.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's Rocky with robots.

mr. tegu 08-25-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8850579)
Posted via Mobile Device

It's good entertainment.

mnchiefsguy 08-25-2012 09:15 PM

Watched L.A. Confidential this afternoon. Had forgotten how good a movie that was.

Buehler445 08-25-2012 10:10 PM

I pulled 16 Blocks off the shelf today.

I don't know what the masses think about the flick, but I think it is pretty well done.

Say what you want about Mos Def, but he can be effective if used correctly. I remember he was on a House episode and was really powerful. I can't imagine the movie would work with any other actor in the character.

Good flick IMO.

Fire Me Boy! 08-25-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8852996)

I don't know what the masses think about the flick, but I think it is pretty well done.

Say what you want about Mos Def, but he can be effective if used correctly. I remember he was on a House episode and was really powerful. I can't imagine the movie would work with any other actor in the character.

Good flick IMO.

He was outstanding in Dexter last season.

Luke Warm 08-26-2012 06:06 AM

Anyone here ever see "Felon"? It's with Stephan Dorff and Val Kilmer. Awesome jail movie.

Fire Me Boy! 08-26-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone Cold (Post 8853341)
Anyone here ever see "Felon"? It's with Stephan Dorff and Val Kilmer. Awesome jail movie.

I caught that on Netflix or Redbox a while ago. Good flick indeed.

Dayze 08-26-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone Cold (Post 8853341)

Yup. I watches completely out of the blue on night on Netflix as well. I liked it.

Nzoner 09-04-2012 08:42 AM

Watched a 2006 film last night A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints.

Absolutely fantastic ensemble and a great drama based on a real life story.

blaise 09-04-2012 08:53 AM

Yeah, I've seen that. It's not bad.

Molitoth 09-04-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8852996)

Good flick IMO.

I just watched this for the first time last night and it was certainly worth my time. Can't believe I'd never heard of it.

Buehler445 09-04-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8876732)
I just watched this for the first time last night and it was certainly worth my time. Can't believe I'd never heard of it.

Good news. I like the flick.

Luke Warm 09-04-2012 05:26 PM

I'm pretty sure most of you have seen this but just in case, those who haven't should.

Memento. Amazing movie.

chasedude 09-04-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Warm (Post 8877598)
I'm pretty sure most of you have seen this but just in case, those who haven't should.

Memento. Amazing movie.

Awesome movie. I was entranced through the whole thing. I remember thinking " I got this one figured out " until the end... Wowser, was I wrong LMAO

Luke Warm 09-04-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8877899)
Awesome movie. I was entranced through the whole thing. I remember thinking " I got this one figured out " until the end... Wowser, was I wrong LMAO

Yea, I was the same way the first time I saw it LOL

Ceej 09-04-2012 09:05 PM

Watching an oldie but goodie.

TROLL!!

QuikSsurfer 09-04-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8878504)
Watching an oldie but goodie.

TROLL!!

lol

Troll 2 is on netflix streaming

Ceej 09-04-2012 09:08 PM

NILBOG MOTHER****ERS!!!!!!

Ceej 09-04-2012 09:12 PM

Watching this show begs the question..

If there was ever such a thing as a female troll with a big rack would you **** it??

Luke Warm 09-04-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8878541)
Watching this show begs the question..

If there was ever such a thing as a female troll with a big rack would you **** it??

Troll with a big rack or Killer Klown with a big rack?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...le_killers.jpg

Ceej 09-04-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Warm (Post 8878709)
Troll with a big rack or Killer Klown with a big rack?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...le_killers.jpg

All clowns can suck on a big penis.

Although, great movie.

frankotank 09-06-2012 12:28 PM

I love horror flicks. always have. but I am a bit less eager when it comes to the subject of demons. I kinda want to see this....and I sorta don't want to.....
anybody seen this yet? it was originally titled The Dibbuk Box...maybe you've heard the "true story" about it.
link attached

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/wp-cont...ion-poster.jpg

http://dibbukbox.com/story.htm

lcarus 09-06-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8878735)
All clowns can suck on a big penis.

Although, great movie.

That movie scared me when I was young. Damn clowns.

NewChief 09-06-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8883516)
I love horror flicks. always have. but I am a bit less eager when it comes to the subject of demons. I kinda want to see this....and I sorta don't want to.....
anybody seen this yet? it was originally titled The Dibbuk Box...maybe you've heard the "true story" about it.
link attached

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/wp-cont...ion-poster.jpg

http://dibbukbox.com/story.htm

I read a review that said it was pretty solid.
http://www.salon.com/2012/08/31/pick...e_of_the_year/

Moody and a little slow, with muted colors and a half-empty, alien-feeling suburban setting, Danish director Ole Bornedal’s “The Possession” is a nifty end-of-summer gift for horror buffs. (Understandably, the promotional campaign for this movie has emphasized producer Sam Raimi, but he didn’t write it or direct it, and it never feels much like his work.) This is a lugubrious, lovingly crafted B movie, with more than a little 1970s flavor but no arch postmodern attitude. Is it great cinema, or even a picture you’ll remember clearly this time next year? Maybe not, but “The Possession” is beautifully photographed and well cast, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Kyra Sedgwick as a depressed, divorced couple whose younger daughter meets a most unwelcome new friend. Furthermore, it delivers its shocks masterfully and without overkill, and offers a new twist on the familiar exorcism formula.

I’m not going to claim that there’s never been a Jewish-themed demonic-possession movie before, since that’s probably not true — every arcane corner of human religious and spiritual belief has been plumbed by horror screenwriters at some point. (In fact, I dimly recollect a Judeo-centric parody of “The Exorcist,” released on LP, that my big brother owned. Anyone?) Here, writers Juliet Snowden and Stiles White take the genuine concept of the “Dybbuk box,” demonic containers made of ornamented wood sometimes found in the 18th- and 19th-century shtetls of Eastern Europe, and run with it. More interesting still is Bornedal’s portrayal of the Hasidic community in Brooklyn’s Borough Park neighborhood, where Morgan’s stricken dad finally finds a rabbi’s renegade son – played by Matisyahu, the ex-Hasid alt-rock artist – to help cast out the evil one.

By the time Em (Natasha Calis), a girl of 9 or 10, picks out the odd-looking box at a suburban garage sale, we already know it’s extremely bad news, thanks to an actual 1970s prologue sequence. We also know that Em and her older sister Hannah (Madison Davenport) are suffering through their parents’ dreary divorce, which has exiled Clyde (Morgan), their shaggy basketball-coach dad, to a brand-new house in a distant outer suburb and led their thin-lipped mother, Stephanie (Sedgwick), to shack up with an irritatingly cheerful orthodontist (Grant Show). I have the feeling that I’ve seen the orthodontist-as-inadequate-stepfather gag played out before, in other divorce movies, but it still works. I apologize in advance to all those who practice this noble and helpful profession, but doesn’t the very idea – “Mom’s dating a guy who puts braces on kids’ teeth!” – conjure up your inner sixth-grader? (Wait till you see what the imprisoned Dybbuk has in store for him!)

That atmosphere of faint but persistent gloom, along with the underplayed performances of Morgan and Sedgwick, a pair of genuine movie pros, constitutes the true heart of the picture. (The photography, most of it in blues and grays, is by Dan Laustsen, who also shot Bornedal’s delicious noir thriller “Just Another Love Story.”) Movies about demons usually have to choose between psychological and supernatural explanations, but this one insists on both. The muttering entity in the box, which first manifests itself as swarms of oversize moths, is real enough in this movie’s universe – but it can only gain access to Em’s mind and body because she’s vulnerable and unhappy. If I really wanted to, I could construct an argument that “The Possession” has a right-wing, family-values agenda: Don’t get divorced, or the Jewish boogeyman will get your kids! Well, maybe I buy into that agenda, because my reaction to that is advice readers frequently offer me: Chillax, man! It’s just a movie!

Given the understated mood of the picture, Bornedal doesn’t try to stage big, gruesome shocker moments, or for that matter fake shocks designed to make you jump. There’s minimal gore (although I gather the movie was cut down to garner a PG-13 rating), and the movie’s power comes from an inexorable grinding fear that’s very much reality-based, the terror that just as unseen forces ate away Clyde and Stephanie’s love for each other, now something else is eating their daughter. “I feel funny,” Em tells her father during a moment of clarity. “I don’t feel like me.” While “The Possession” is no blindingly original reinvention of horror formula or anything, I found it an intensely creepy invocation of parental fears, with a nifty climax staged in the hallways and basements of a hospital.

I’d have to agree with the sentiment that if you’ve seen one exorcism sequence in a horror movie you’ve pretty much seen them all. This one builds nicely toward two tripped-out final twists, and features the immensely agreeable Matisyahu as Tzadok, a street-wise Hasid who blends his dad’s Old World wisdom with a little NYC hip-hop attitude. As Tzadok explains to the thoroughly goyish Clyde with a certain relish, he has an obligation to violate the Sabbath and get into Clyde’s car, because a human life is at stake. Your obligation, on the other hand, is to catch “The Possession” this weekend with appropriately mixed expectations – and then not to buy the cool-looking box with Hebrew writing on it at the Labor Day garage sale.

NewChief 09-07-2012 09:33 PM

Just watched Inglorious Bastards again. I remember liking it before, but I don't remember guffawing st Pitt's performance like I did this time. May have caught me in the right mood, but damn it was funny.

-King- 09-07-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8887296)
Just watched Inglorious Bastards again. I remember liking it before, but I don't remember guffawing st Pitt's performance like I did this time. May have caught me in the right mood, but damn it was funny.

I watched it too for the first time. Great movie. Although the part right before Shoshanna was killed kind of pissed me off. I hate scenes in movies where a good person starts feeling sympathy for an obvious bad guy.

nstygma 09-10-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

i had the same reaction, the second time around was quite different.

ragedogg69 09-10-2012 11:01 AM

I know I will get crapped on for saying this, but I found the love story plotline so boring. Take that away and the movie is nearly perfect. The bar scene was my favorite scene for the year.

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2012 11:09 AM

Mrs. FMB! and I saw Lawless last night. We both enjoyed it. Very violent, but very well acted and just beautifully shot. I've come to expect stellar performances from Tom Hardy, Guy Pearce, and Gary Oldman (though underused in this character). And Mia Wasikowska has turned in a number of fine performances since she hit the spotlight a few years ago, but I've really got to give it to Shai LaBeouf. If he can continue on his path to find better scripts and branch out, he may actually be a pretty good actor. He turned in a memorable and moving performance.

Buehler445 09-10-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8897984)
Mrs. FMB! and I saw Lawless last night. We both enjoyed it. Very violent, but very well acted and just beautifully shot. I've come to expect stellar performances from Tom Hardy, Guy Pearce, and Gary Oldman (though underused in this character). And Mia Wasikowska has turned in a number of fine performances since she hit the spotlight a few years ago, but I've really got to give it to Shai LaBeouf. If he can continue on his path to find better scripts and branch out, he may actually be a pretty good actor. He turned in a memorable and moving performance.

Excellent. I was hoping it was good. I must see this.

Bump 09-10-2012 09:54 PM

caught up on a few movies the past week or 2

The Grey - sucked ****ing balls. I really don't understand how writers/directors do not know what hypothermia is and how you can get it. Plus everything else about it sucked. Liam Neeson should be ashamed.

The Hunger Games - eh, not terrible. Never read the books.

American Reunion - better than I thought it would be I guess.

DBOSHO 09-11-2012 01:25 PM

Im a little late on this one, but i dont know if any of you have seen the prestige, but i rented it a few weeks ago and bought it last night. After a second viewing it might be my favorite film.

I thought it was pretty good but after you watch it the second time you see all the foreshadowing and you get the little twists.

Hugh jackman did great, bale was exceptional. Michael cane was good as always. Scarlett johannson is sexy. Did i mention sexy?

A masterpiece by nolan IMO

Buehler445 09-12-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8901627)
Im a little late on this one, but i dont know if any of you have seen the prestige, but i rented it a few weeks ago and bought it last night. After a second viewing it might be my favorite film.

I thought it was pretty good but after you watch it the second time you see all the foreshadowing and you get the little twists.

Hugh jackman did great, bale was exceptional. Michael cane was good as always. Scarlett johannson is sexy. Did i mention sexy?

A masterpiece by nolan IMO

Great movie. If you haven't watched it, do

Coincidentally, this is the only movie to my knowledge that my mother in law and I both like.

Deberg_1990 09-12-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Pitt was so awesome in that movie. Hes turned into a hell of an actor.

L.A. Chieffan 09-13-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucky (Post 8633518)
Anyone like There Will Be Blood or Boogie Nights?

Here's the new film from PT Anderson called The Master.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9oZDKFoCqAw

Im really looking forward to this.

PTA is a stud

noa 09-20-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6816364)
Watched Dead Man for the first time, last night. I've always wanted to see this movie, but I've heard reviews from both ends of the spectrum and now that I've finally seen it, I have to say I liked it very much.

Johnny Depp plays William Blake, an accountant who was promised a job in a desolate, murky, and hellish western town. The job fell through and after spending his last coin on a bottle of whiskey- the night ends with him on the lam- a hunted dead man.

The film includes Billy Bob Thornton, Robert Mitchum (in his last film), John Hurt, Gabriel Byrne, that freak- Crispin Glover, as well as the totally awesome- Iggy Pop.

Neil Young strums a haunting and brooding guitar throughout the entire movie.

This isn't your typical western- it's more of a spiritual journey such as Dante's The Divine Comedy including conflicts with honor & law, civilization & wilderness, and life & death. So, if you're expecting shoot-outs or John Wayne, you won't like this. This movie is a journey through hell guided by a Native American named, Nobody. There are some very graphic scenes and some subtle comedy in this. It's slow, and that mystery is driven by Neil Young's soundtrack. Not great, but a really good film by one of my favorite director's- Jarmusch.

Just watched this again. Enjoyed it even more this time around. Agree that it's not a great movie, but still one that I find myself drawn to. The music, the acting, and the pacing. Plus I love Nobody.