ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

ThaVirus 03-26-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14148998)
I like a transition of power with my superheroes, and I find when they get their powers and they automatically know how to use them perfectly with a snap of the fingers as too much of a stretch for me.

Spoiler!

Seems pretty standard for anyone who gets their powers from an infinity stone in this universe.

O.city 03-26-2019 03:47 PM

She could already do that stuff though, because she had been training with the Kree on it. She just didn't know the extent of her powers until then? Maybe?

FAX 03-26-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14181532)
She could already do that stuff though, because she had been training with the Kree on it. She just didn't know the extent of her powers until then? Maybe?

She thought she had to have the thingy in order to glow.

This is common among womenfolk.

FAX

Rausch 03-26-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14181487)
Seems pretty standard for anyone who gets their powers from an infinity stone in this universe.

Pretty standard Mary Sue character arc: woman is awesome, becomes more awesome, realizes only thing that ever heald her back was patriarchy.

ThaVirus 03-26-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14181807)
Pretty standard Mary Sue character arc: woman is awesome, becomes more awesome, realizes only thing that ever heald her back was patriarchy.

She was just a hotshot pilot prior to the gifting of her powers. Is there that big a difference between her origin and that of Hal Jordan or the Human Torch?

It had been six years since the Tesseract gave her superpowers. She had obviously been training the whole time, despite being taught to hold back. Not much different than Superman.

She's definitely a cocky douche. That's a character flaw not unlike Thor and Tony Stark.

Rausch 03-26-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14181904)
She was just a hotshot pilot prior to the gifting of her powers. Is there that big a difference between her origin and that of Hal Jordan or the Human Torch?

It had been six years since the Tesseract gave her superpowers. She had obviously been training the whole time, despite being taught to hold back. Not much different than Superman.

She's definitely a cocky douche. That's a character flaw not unlike Thor and Tony Stark.

Honestly she started off as atoken female replacement to mar-vel.

They tried to give her some depth with the most bizarre rape story ever.

I thought she was most interesting when she had to share a body with Rogue. She usually would come out when rogue would get knocked out or just didn’t want to deal with whatever was going on. Back then she was still heroic and not a conceited femi-nazi. She was a mature but tragic figure.

Setsuna 03-27-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14182018)
Honestly she started off as atoken female replacement to mar-vel.

They tried to give her some depth with the most bizarre rape story ever.

I thought she was most interesting when she had to share a body with Rogue. She usually would come out when rogue would get knocked out or just didn’t want to deal with whatever was going on. Back then she was still heroic and not a conceited femi-nazi. She was a mature but tragic figure.

You can't say rape in 2019 sir. Sorry.

BigRedChief 03-27-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14181904)

But she’s got a vagina. We are tired of them wanting to be treated as equals. Now it’s in our comics and movies?

/way too many on CP

CoMoChief 03-27-2019 07:45 PM

horrible story/plot

even worse acting

RustShack 03-27-2019 08:00 PM

I had no plans to see it but decided I should since she will be in End Game. It was better than I expected. It was also my first time with D-Box seating which was also more intense than I expected. I liked that it was set back in the 90’s, and was a good prequel to the rest.

Setsuna 03-28-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14183686)
horrible story/plot

even worse acting

https://media.giphy.com/media/TL6poLzwbHuF2/giphy.gif

Sorry 03-28-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14183686)
horrible story/plot

even worse acting

nah that's just bad analysis there lol. You could argue it could've been more in depth but didn't really need to

Buehler445 03-31-2019 11:02 AM

Finally saw it. I saw it with the wife, and then my buddy wanted to see it so I watched it again later.

It could have been a hell of a lot better. My main issue with it is Larson's performance. In most of her scenes she seemed like she was just really annoyed to be there, rather than emoting much at all. It was fairly awful.

The rest of the movie I thought was decent. Jackson was great. Clark Gregg was pretty ****ing cool. Jude Law was good. The Maria character was good. Writing was OK. Pacing was fine. The action was meh, but OK.

The thing about Larson was notable though. Initially, I thought maybe that was intentional, her subduing herself because emotions are warriors enemies. But even then, Jude Law's character had much more charisma, and he's full on Kree warrior who should have no emotion.

My wife thought that's her human personality, but the flashbacks and pictures showed that she was very outgoing and boisterous. I think that's off base. She also postulated that she was just an asshole as a human. But that can still be charismatic characters, See: Stark, Tony.

I am HOPING it was a director issue, because she was fairly endearing in some of her interactions with Fury. So I'm thinking (hoping) whatever they were going for just missed and the Russos can un**** it. I'm not optomistic because the trailer stuff I've seen with her is roughly the same.

It's just frustrating, because even if she's supposed to be emotionless, those can still be charismatic, compelling characters. I mean, Jude Law did it in the very same movie. Spock is one of the most compelling characters in TV histories.

I just found myself not giving half a **** about her other than knowing through standard tropes that she was supposed to be the hero. This is troublesome because she is supposed to be the Stark-esque leader moving forward. This is problematic because it is pretty much the diametric opposite of Downey's Stark in terms of charisma. I mean, hell, the kid that was supposed to be young Carol was more charismatic than Larson's Carol.

Deberg_1990 03-31-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14188293)
Finally saw it. I saw it with the wife, and then my buddy wanted to see it so I watched it again later.

It could have been a hell of a lot better. My main issue with it is Larson's performance. In most of her scenes she seemed like she was just really annoyed to be there, rather than emoting much at all. It was fairly awful.

The rest of the movie I thought was decent. Jackson was great. Clark Gregg was pretty ****ing cool. Jude Law was good. The Maria character was good. Writing was OK. Pacing was fine. The action was meh, but OK.

The thing about Larson was notable though. Initially, I thought maybe that was intentional, her subduing herself because emotions are warriors enemies. But even then, Jude Law's character had much more charisma, and he's full on Kree warrior who should have no emotion.

My wife thought that's her human personality, but the flashbacks and pictures showed that she was very outgoing and boisterous. I think that's off base. She also postulated that she was just an asshole as a human. But that can still be charismatic characters, See: Stark, Tony.

I am HOPING it was a director issue, because she was fairly endearing in some of her interactions with Fury. So I'm thinking (hoping) whatever they were going for just missed and the Russos can un**** it. I'm not optomistic because the trailer stuff I've seen with her is roughly the same.

It's just frustrating, because even if she's supposed to be emotionless, those can still be charismatic, compelling characters. I mean, Jude Law did it in the very same movie. Spock is one of the most compelling characters in TV histories.

I just found myself not giving half a **** about her other than knowing through standard tropes that she was supposed to be the hero. This is troublesome because she is supposed to be the Stark-esque leader moving forward. This is problematic because it is pretty much the diametric opposite of Downey's Stark in terms of charisma. I mean, hell, the kid that was supposed to be young Carol was more charismatic than Larson's Carol.

I like Brie Larson alot as an actress. But i agree with you here. I think she was miscast.

Bowser 03-31-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l1J9vhiSh7fDnsJKU" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/netflix-fullerhouse-netflix-fullhouse-season3-l1J9vhiSh7fDnsJKU">via GIPHY</a></p>

Setsuna 03-31-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Hey man she got back up after falling down like every other human being in their lifespan. She's so strong for that! Leave her alone! :deevee::deevee::deevee:

CoMoChief 03-31-2019 04:00 PM

Larson was just a bad casting choice for the role.

I would've rather watched sheep ****.

Munson 03-31-2019 04:24 PM

It's definitely in the lower tier of Marvel movies.

AustinChief 03-31-2019 04:44 PM

Larson is obviously a decent actress. I blame the directors for her performance. If she is as flat in the next Avengers than I will stand corrected but I am holding out hope that far superior direction will salvage her character.

Buehler445 03-31-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 14188727)
Larson is obviously a decent actress. I blame the directors for her performance. If she is as flat in the next Avengers than I will stand corrected but I am holding out hope that far superior direction will salvage her character.

That’s what I’m hoping also, but who knows.

Bowser 03-31-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 14188727)

Yeah, this. The Russo brothers have had the magic touch with everything they've done so far in the MCU.

Pitt Gorilla 03-31-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14188847)
Yeah, this. The Russo brothers have had the magic touch with everything they've done so far in the MCU.

Including Arrested Development.

Bowser 03-31-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14188897)

I always forget that they were in the middle of that.

Speaking of, The Winter Soldier was just on FX earlier today. That film ranks very highly in the pecking order of the MCU films of the last ten years, imho. The Russos did a fantastic job with that movie.

Buehler445 03-31-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14188902)
I always forget that they were in the middle of that.

Speaking of, The Winter Soldier was just on FX earlier today. That film ranks very highly in the pecking order of the MCU films of the last ten years, imho. The Russos did a fantastic job with that movie.

Agreed.

This is one of my favorite fight scenes in the MCU.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mCXUwokL5GA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 03-31-2019 08:14 PM

Yeah, that was bad ass.

And also, maybe a little foreshadowing at 1:28? :hmmm:

Buehler445 03-31-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14188949)
Yeah, that was bad ass.

And also, maybe a little foreshadowing at 1:28? :hmmm:

If not, massive fan service :D

ThaVirus 03-31-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14188936)
Agreed.

This is one of my favorite fight scenes in the MCU.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mCXUwokL5GA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That knife flip at 1:40 is awesome.

Mind-controlled Bucky is a dog. He got a hell of a nerf when he regained his conscience.

Direckshun 03-31-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

That kid was an atrocious actor.

But, yeah, as I said earlier in this thread, Larson was not a great fit for the role.

I've no doubt they can adjust going forward. One hopes.

Chiefspants 04-01-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14188897)

Also oversaw some of the greatest comedy television episodes ever done via Community.

Rausch 04-01-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14189067)
That kid was an atrocious actor.

But, yeah, as I said earlier in this thread, Larson was not a great fit for the role.

I've no doubt they can adjust going forward. One hopes.

The Russo’s could make a tampon commercial entertaining. They’re excellent storytellers.

They’ll un **** the character for this film and then it will be back to more of the same.

DaFace 04-03-2019 02:52 PM

Flaws and all, Captain Marvel is a huge financial success. Go figure.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Captain Marvel passed the $1 billion global mark on Tuesday.<br><br>The film has grossed $358.1M domestically and $644.5M internationally for a global total of $1.003B.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CaptainMarvel?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CaptainMarvel</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoxOffice?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BoxOffice</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MarvelStudios</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/captainmarvel?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@captainmarvel</a> <a href="https://t.co/Knn6wT09BU">pic.twitter.com/Knn6wT09BU</a></p>&mdash; BoxOfficeReport.com (@BORReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1113472023391391744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FAX 04-03-2019 03:00 PM

1B and counting. I'm glad ...

As I've said before (and posted before and mumbled before many times), I'll continue to support Marvel because I admire their accomplishment, their obvious appreciation of the source material, their commitment to (mostly) excellent casting, and their basic ability to make fun, entertaining movies (most of the time).

They can have my money unless or until they release a string of nasty dogs. I say, let them get even richer since that validates their approach.

FAX

Chiefspants 04-03-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14189010)
That knife flip at 1:40 is awesome.

Mind-controlled Bucky is a dog. He got a hell of a nerf when he regained his conscience.

He did take down Iron Man with Cap (which many argued was a nerf of Iron Man, but whatever).

I will agree he was quite reduced in IW, though - but that was likely due to the sheer abundance of heroes running around.

Chiefspants 04-03-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14190318)
The Russo’s could make a tampon commercial entertaining. They’re excellent storytellers.

They’ll un **** the character for this film and then it will be back to more of the same.

I agree. Tbh I thought Chris Evans was simply "decent" as Cap in his first two movies. He didn't really have a memorable line/moment as Cap in Cap 1 and had some straight up wooden exchanges with RDJ in The Avengers.

The Russos then proceeded to make him an ass-kicking Bourne level badass in Cap 2. I trust they'll find what works for Brie, too.

ThaVirus 04-03-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14193244)
He did take down Iron Man with Cap (which many argued was a nerf of Iron Man, but whatever).

They tried to play it off with Tony's suit being wrecked, but it was some bullshit either way. He could have ended that fight pretty much any time if he wasn't ****ing around.

Actually, he really did come out on top. He put Bucky out of commission and beat Cap's ass. He only ended up 'losing' because he got distracted. Kind of like a Red Viper vs The Mountain situation.

Buehler445 04-03-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14193312)
They tried to play it off with Tony's suit being wrecked, but it was some bullshit either way. He could have ended that fight pretty much any time if he wasn't ****ing around.

Actually, he really did come out on top. He put Bucky out of commission and beat Cap's ass. He only ended up 'losing' because he got distracted. Kind of like a Red Viper vs The Mountain situation.

I think part of the story is that he was pulling punches. At no point did he really ever want to fight Cap. It just ended up that way, and I think he pulled punches on account of it.

They definitely nerfed him pretty hard, but the action played out in a non-completely ****ing reeruned way so I didn't have a problem.

At least that's what I got out of it.

ThaVirus 04-03-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14193324)
I think part of the story is that he was pulling punches. At no point did he really ever want to fight Cap. It just ended up that way, and I think he pulled punches on account of it.

They definitely nerfed him pretty hard, but the action played out in a non-completely ****ing reeruned way so I didn't have a problem.

At least that's what I got out of it.

100%. I thought the movie was awesome and Tony was definitely pulling punches.

It was technically a Captain America movie so you'd expect him to get most of the shine. I just laugh at anyone who truly believes he wouldn't get wrecked in a second going up against Iron Man or Spider-Man if they were truly trying to hurt him.

Buehler445 04-03-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14193349)
100%. I thought the movie was awesome and Tony was definitely pulling punches.

It was technically a Captain America movie so you'd expect him to get most of the shine. I just laugh at anyone who truly believes he wouldn't get wrecked in a second going up against Iron Man or Spider-Man if they were truly trying to hurt him.

Spiderman doesn't have the firepower to hurt him really bad. Tony just has to fly up and fire ****ing missiles at Cap.

ThaVirus 04-03-2019 06:34 PM

A lot of people don't realize how much stronger Spider-Man is than Cap, Bucky and dudes in their strength class. There's a huge gap between Spidey and those guys.

Buehler445 04-03-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14193441)
A lot of people don't realize how much stronger Spider-Man is than Cap, Bucky and dudes in their strength class. There's a huge gap between Spidey and those guys.

I’m not saying there isn’t but he just doesn’t have anything that does a ton of damage.

****ing Stark has missiles.

Sure-Oz 04-03-2019 08:02 PM

Wrong thread

FAX 04-03-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14193520)
I’m not saying there isn’t but he just doesn’t have anything that does a ton of damage.

Indubitably.

Stark blew up a tank with a device the size of a labia flap.

FAX

Fish 04-03-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14193520)

Not necessarily true. In the comics, Spiderman picked up a tank and used it as a hammer. He's got plenty of strength to actually smash the hell out of Ironman if he wants to. And with Spideysense, missiles are slooooow.

Buehler445 04-03-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14193712)
Not necessarily true. In the comics, Spiderman picked up a tank and used it as a hammer. He's got plenty of strength to actually smash the hell out of Ironman if he wants to. And with Spideysense, missiles are slooooow.

I’m talking in regards to cap and IM fighting, IM has more firepower to do damage to cap than Spidey would if cap and Spidey fought.

I had no idea my take was so controversial:D

Fish 04-04-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14193775)
I’m talking in regards to cap and IM fighting, IM has more firepower to do damage to cap than Spidey would if cap and Spidey fought.

I had no idea my take was so controversial:D

No worries.... We're officially at the crazy comics/MCU point of defining powers... But in the comics, Spiderman would just straight destroy Iron Man. Hands down. Spiderman was my #1 favorite comic back in the day. I read all of them. He was intentionally a complete nerd with the ability to lift 45 tons. He was much stronger than the MCU ever comes close to portraying. With like almost time-stopping spidey sense ability to avoid any incoming projectile.

007 04-04-2019 12:56 AM

I'll wait for this to go to DVD based on the mixed reviews on here.

Setsuna 04-04-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14193816)
I'll wait for this to go to DVD based on the mixed reviews on here.

Wow. You Wahmen hater :shake::harumph::shake:

ThaVirus 04-04-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14193814)
No worries.... We're officially at the crazy comics/MCU point of defining powers... But in the comics, Spiderman would just straight destroy Iron Man. Hands down. Spiderman was my #1 favorite comic back in the day. I read all of them. He was intentionally a complete nerd with the ability to lift 45 tons. He was much stronger than the MCU ever comes close to portraying. With like almost time-stopping spidey sense ability to avoid any incoming projectile.

You.. I like you, buddy.

The way I see it, if Spider-Man is prime Mike Tyson, Cap, Bucky, and Black Panther are 8 year olds with a shield, metal arm and a bulletproof suit. If these guys are being written/portrayed at their fullest potential, Spider-Man would literally be able to fight (and beat) all three of them at the same time with little difficulty.

The Hulk would be The Mountain (from Game of Thrones) lol

Thor would be The Mountain with a handgun.

Sully 04-04-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14193814)

I am currently, in my 40s, going through my nerdy comic book phase. I got a subscription to Marvel unlimited, and have been just churning through older comics at a crazy pace. The hard part is to know what to read, where to start, what threads to pull. Because stuff goes in so many crazy directions. but I love it so much, and am learning so much i didn't know. i didn't ever know Spiderman was that strong. i really didn't even know the extent of Hulk's strength. So many connections to groups I had no idea about. it really is a fun time discovering all this shit that people like you have known for decades.

Mr. Plow 04-04-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 14194184)
I am currently, in my 40s, going through my nerdy comic book phase. I got a subscription to Marvel unlimited, and have been just churning through older comics at a crazy pace. The hard part is to know what to read, where to start, what threads to pull. Because stuff goes in so many crazy directions. but I love it so much, and am learning so much i didn't know. i didn't ever know Spiderman was that strong. i really didn't even know the extent of Hulk's strength. So many connections to groups I had no idea about. it really is a fun time discovering all this shit that people like you have known for decades.

I was never a comic book guy - love the movies, just never got into comics as a kid. I was more a baseball card collector. But, I've thought about getting the Marvel Unlimited to read through some and seeing what I'm missing because I know I'm missing a ton.

Sully 04-04-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14194335)
I was never a comic book guy - love the movies, just never got into comics as a kid. I was more a baseball card collector. But, I've thought about getting the Marvel Unlimited to read through some and seeing what I'm missing because I know I'm missing a ton.

To me it's been totally worth it. I initially was concerned about spending almost what I spend on Netflix to read comic books, but really I get as much or more enjoyment out of it as I do Netflix.
I also enjoyed watching Capt Marvel with my daughter a few weeks ago, and when she would whisper to me about the cat, I would whisper back, "It's not a cat, it's a Flerken," and watch her look at me with incredulousness.

Fish 04-04-2019 12:50 PM

Comics are pretty convenient these days, since you can purchase them in digital format. There's subscription services you can get too. Or if you're a pirate, you can find pretty much every comic ever made fairly easily. I use an app called ComicRack which organizes all the comics and let's you navigate and read them. At that point, I'd suggest looking up some comics sites for recommendations on what order to read them in. Because that can get super confusing. Comic runs are structured weirdly, and there's a huge web of interconnectivity between the comics and characters that gets real complicated. Like if you want to read the full Infinity War comic series, you end up reading The Infinity War run plus parts of New Avengers run plus parts of Avengers run.

Sully 04-04-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14194385)
Comics are pretty convenient these days, since you can purchase them in digital format. There's subscription services you can get too. Or if you're a pirate, you can find pretty much every comic ever made fairly easily. I use an app called ComicRack which organizes all the comics and let's you navigate and read them. At that point, I'd suggest looking up some comics sites for recommendations on what order to read them in. Because that can get super confusing. Comic runs are structured weirdly, and there's a huge web of interconnectivity between the comics and characters that gets real complicated. Like if you want to read the full Infinity War comic series, you end up reading The Infinity War run plus parts of New Avengers run plus parts of Avengers run.

Marvel Unlimited, I think, does a pretty good job of ordering them like that. I read through Civil War, and it spanned about 10 different actual series, and if you looked in the right place, MU had it where as you finished one, it took you to the appropriate next issue that it was important to read. However, i found out not all sites agreed, and was looking at an ordered list on another site that was taking me in a different direction. It does get confusing, though.

007 04-04-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14194085)
Wow. You Wahmen hater :shake::harumph::shake:

LMAO

Nope, just doesn't look that good to me. Definitely does not come off as a got a see it movie.

Setsuna 04-04-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14195184)
LMAO

Nope, just doesn't look that good to me. Definitely does not come off as a got a see it movie.

ROFL I'm just messing with ya. I was never going to go see it at all until my best friend asked me to go see it. Go in with low expectations when you buy it and you'll enjoy it, maybe. :D

Mr. Plow 04-05-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 14194341)
To me it's been totally worth it. I initially was concerned about spending almost what I spend on Netflix to read comic books, but really I get as much or more enjoyment out of it as I do Netflix.
I also enjoyed watching Capt Marvel with my daughter a few weeks ago, and when she would whisper to me about the cat, I would whisper back, "It's not a cat, it's a Flerken," and watch her look at me with incredulousness.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out for a month.

Chiefspants 04-05-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14193312)

Perfect example. It was obvious he could have killed Cap.

"Stay down. Last warning"

The final blow could have been delivered there. His love for Cap (and his father) kept him from delivering the final blow. He gave Cap multiple chances to yield, and in one of those chances Cap finally got the opportunity to use his shield to neutralize Tony.

I thought they put Iron Man in the perfect (I.E. his worst) conditions for a fight.

He was in a tiny area, had a damaged suit, was emotionally compromised, and against two people who excel at short distanced, hand to hand combat.

It's a similar reach as some of Game of Thrones decisions in say, Battle of the Bastards or a lot of Season 7, but for the sake of excellent cinema/television, I'll live with it.

Jamie 04-09-2019 12:27 PM

I was thinking today, it's too bad Jennifer Lawrence was stuck playing Mystique, because she would have made a good Captain Marvel. I think she's kind of overrated as an actor (or at least was when she was getting nominated for Oscars every year) but I think she would have been a better fit for what they seemed to be going for.

Setsuna 04-10-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 14199504)
I was thinking today, it's too bad Jennifer Lawrence was stuck playing Mystique, because she would have made a good Captain Marvel. I think she's kind of overrated as an actor (or at least was when she was getting nominated for Oscars every year) but I think she would have been a better fit for what they seemed to be going for.

:hmmm: Perhaps. Isn't her life kind of out of sorts or something. But I guess you can say that about any movie star.

Sure-Oz 04-17-2019 10:33 PM

Brie Larson haters will love this. Hilarious

@etnow: Brie Larson had the BEST clapback at Chris Hemsworth when he implied she did all her own stunts because she wanted to be the next Tom Cruise. Do [emoji122] not [emoji122] come [emoji122] at [emoji122] her. [emoji122] #AvengersEndgame https://twitter.com/etnow/status/111...556928/video/1

@ilRetroBambino: Brie Larson & Tom Cruise doing their own stunts... [emoji848][emoji849][emoji2371] https://twitter.com/ilRetroBambino/s...429312/video/1

007 04-17-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14211919)
Brie Larson haters will love this. Hilarious

@etnow: Brie Larson had the BEST clapback at Chris Hemsworth when he implied she did all her own stunts because she wanted to be the next Tom Cruise. Do [emoji122] not [emoji122] come [emoji122] at [emoji122] her. [emoji122] #AvengersEndgame https://twitter.com/etnow/status/111...556928/video/1

@ilRetroBambino: Brie Larson & Tom Cruise doing their own stunts... [emoji848][emoji849][emoji2371] https://twitter.com/ilRetroBambino/s...429312/video/1

Brutal LMAO

The Franchise 04-17-2019 11:29 PM

Comes off as a bitch.

Chiefspants 04-18-2019 08:26 AM

Full interview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/81WIkfUAc_o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 04-18-2019 08:38 AM

Think I might finally see this this weekend.

I put the 'pro' in 'procrastination'.

Gravedigger 04-18-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14211946)
Comes off as a bitch.

Yeah there's one thing to be opinionated, but another thing to get offended by a jovial joke from Hemsworth. Being offended on some things is fine, being easily offended at medial things, especially in a public forum to embarrass someone whom you don't agree with... well I wouldn't hang out with those people. Gimme a beer with Hemsworth anyday over an awkward date with Larson.

DaFace 04-18-2019 10:42 AM

I still just don't understand why you guys are so obsessed with her. It's an offhanded comment during a press tour. :shrug:

Sure-Oz 04-18-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14212677)
I still just don't understand why you guys are so obsessed with her. It's an offhanded comment during a press tour. :shrug:

She doesn't bother me but I thought the video clip was hilarious on Tom cruise. I'd think if she was this super bitch then they wouldn't joke with her.

Fish 04-18-2019 11:14 AM

Is Brie Larson capable of humor? What an uptight ****. Why's she gotta be defensive about everything?

Buehler445 04-18-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14211946)
Comes off as a bitch.

I THINK She was joking. If not, whatever. I try not to watch too much stuff outside of the production because of noise like this. Hemsworth though, is really pretty endearing.

Frazod 04-18-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14212778)
Is Brie Larson capable of humor? What an uptight ****. Why's she gotta be defensive about everything?

I think you answered your own question when you called her an uptight ****.

The Franchise 04-18-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14212809)
I THINK She was joking. If not, whatever. I try not to watch too much stuff outside of the production because of noise like this. Hemsworth though, is really pretty endearing.

If she was joking....then she needs to work on it because she ****ing sucks at it.

Buehler445 04-18-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14212825)
If she was joking....then she needs to work on it because she ****ing sucks at it.

No argument from me.

keg in kc 04-20-2019 12:14 PM

Just saw it, finally. Enjoyed it.

Thought it slowed down a bit once they got to Louisiana, and I didn't much like the Maria Rambeau character's portreyal, but that's it for me as far as complaints.

And it wasn't really all that much about 'girl power' to me. If that's the only thing someone is getting out if it, that's coming from inside themselves.

As far as her portreyal went, I don't think we've actually seen her portreyal of the character yet. She wasn't Carol Danvers for 90% of the movie. We only got a glimpse of who she's going to be right at the very end, and that's the start of it, not the end.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing her again on Thursday night, and I'm not at all worried about her being an all-powerful macguffin. The Kree owned her for six years. I'm pretty sure Thanos won't have any issues. What happens after that is what i'm interested in seeing.

Sure-Oz 04-20-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14216341)
Just saw it, finally. Enjoyed it.

Thought it slowed down a bit once they got to Louisiana, and I didn't much like the Maria Rambeau character's portreyal, but that's it for me as far as complaints.

And it wasn't really all that much about 'girl power' to me. If that's the only thing someone is getting out if it, that's coming from inside themselves.

As far as her portreyal went, I don't think we've actually seen her portreyal of the character yet. She wasn't Carol Danvers for 90% of the movie. We only got a glimpse of who she's going to be right at the very end, and that's the start of it, not the end.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing her again on Thursday night, and I'm not at all worried about her being an all-powerful macguffin. The Kree owned her for six years. I'm pretty sure Thanos won't have any issues. What happens after that is what i'm interested in seeing.

Yeah I'm excited to see who CM is now.

Halfcan 04-20-2019 01:43 PM

I was pleasantly surprised this was so good.

JD10367 04-20-2019 08:08 PM

Saw it for the second time last week. Thought it was even better the second time. I don't understand why people are giving her such a hard time. If she wasn't such an outspoken SJW then I doubt anyone would have said anything about her acting performance. I mean, she's playing a Kree soldier (not exactly a role designed for laughs and smiles) *and* she doesn't have a memory of who she is. What did people want her to do, tapdance "Hello My Baby" like the WB frog? (And, yes, it was about girl power... big ****ing deal. So was "Wonder Woman". So was the "Buffy" TV series. So was "Alien" and "Aliens". Women do make up half the population, they're entitled to a few moments of ass-kicking. Why this bothers guys I'll never know.)

And I don't see them using her as the final-act macguffin in "Endgame". That's just too simplistic. It might have something to do with Strange and the time stone, or the soul stone, or Ant-Man shrinking down to go steal stone(s), or an alternate universe, but I don't think they'd stoop to "Scene: Captain Marvel swoops in and kicks ass, end credits roll."

Shaid 04-20-2019 08:32 PM

She did come off bad in that interview.

listopencil 04-20-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14216749)
Saw it for the second time last week. Thought it was even better the second time. I don't understand why people are giving her such a hard time. If she wasn't such an outspoken SJW then I doubt anyone would have said anything about her acting performance. I mean, she's playing a Kree soldier (not exactly a role designed for laughs and smiles) *and* she doesn't have a memory of who she is. What did people want her to do, tapdance "Hello My Baby" like the WB frog? (And, yes, it was about girl power... big ****ing deal. So was "Wonder Woman". So was the "Buffy" TV series. So was "Alien" and "Aliens". Women do make up half the population, they're entitled to a few moments of ass-kicking. Why this bothers guys I'll never know.)

And I don't see them using her as the final-act macguffin in "Endgame". That's just too simplistic. It might have something to do with Strange and the time stone, or the soul stone, or Ant-Man shrinking down to go steal stone(s), or an alternate universe, but I don't think they'd stoop to "Scene: Captain Marvel swoops in and kicks ass, end credits roll."

This shit again? No one who is honestly reviewing the movie is really giving her a hard time. She just wasn't very good. She lacks the charisma for a superhero role, or at least she did in this performance. That's pretty bad when she's playing a Superman kind of role which is boring anyway. For a character that is so high powered there are only a few plot arcs that are compelling. They blew the origin story arc with a weak performance from the actress. That being said, it wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. In that way it was disappointing.

*Upon Edit: By the way those other shows you mentioned were interesting stories, told well, by compelling actors. This wasn't.

Buehler445 04-20-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 14216749)

I was fairly harsh on her and believe me it wasn't for SJW shit. I really want the character to work because after 20 ****ing movies I have a vested interest in the franchise.

Hammock Parties 04-21-2019 02:33 PM

Finally saw this.

If Samuel L Jackson hadn't been in this it would have been garbage.

Character got too OP too fast and though it wasn't too bad, there were several nods to RAWR I AM WOMYN that just went too over the top.

Blowing the top off Schwarzenegger's head?
It's called a COCKpit, honey huhuhuhuhuh
We'll be back for the weapon. The Tesseract? No...the WOMYN.
Stealing a horny biker's ride?

Give me a ****ing break.

Would have been better without all that feminazi pandering shit.

Wonder Woman did this better and so did Ellen Ripley.

They better not give the character a huge role in Endgame because she hasn't earned it. Oh yeah, and Brie can't act.

Still, enjoyable. 6.5/10. The work did they did with SLJ's face was incredible. Every scene with the cat was cream cheese. And they eye scar? LMAO