ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

HC_Chief 10-31-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9068236)
It's so far from the self-absorbed hipster image you have in your mind, that it makes you look a little out of touch. I've introduced hundreds of iPads into our ecosystem over the last few years. And not to snobby hipsters, but shiny suit executives. If you completely shun Apple these days, you're going to significantly limit yourself in the IT field.

I'm, of course, being facetious. ;) Macs are great consumer tools but they are slllllllllloooooowwwwwww in making any real impact in the workplace. The iPad and iPhone are the two devices that are having the greatest traction. Iphone, because Blackberry is a PITA and Android is not secure. The iPad, due to form factor.

For most business work, you need coroporate communications (e.g. mail, messaging), Excel, Word, and Acrobat. You then have line of business applications that perform various functions. Apple products can, for the most part, connect & participate in the business world, but there is additional configuration that is needed, there is additional cost for the products themselves, and there are compatability hurdles that must be overcome. THis all means additional COST. To business, additional COST is bad. Business exists for profit; if they can do all the things they need to do using a PC laptop at .25 the price point of an Apple solution, you better believe that is what they are going to do.

Apple has been fantastic is marketing their products to the consumer world. Their devices are tailor-made to consumers. You have to modify their behavior & make concessions to make them a business-friendly device (exception being very basic stuff like running a small business; which I have done using a MacBook Pro).

The iPad form factor is nearly perfect. Problem is it's just a big iPod touch. While super cool, and it has untold potential, it is still limited by its focus on being the ultimate consumer tablet device. Kudos to Apple, they achieved that goal.

Business people are also consumers. They love their consumer platforms and want to use them at work; thus the rise in bring your own device (BYOD ) initiatives. The problem is integrating these devices that are not bult for integration, management, and business is a big challenge. Yes, it can be done, but it is not cheap. Again, business exists to make a profit. Yeah, it would be super neat to be able to do all your work on an iPad, but the cost of doing that is unjustifiable for most.

This is where the Surface comes in. It is a business device, running the desktop OS that runs all of the applications businesses already run, can be integrated and administrered like their existing platforms with no additional cost, AND provides the awesome form factor of the iPad. That is a winning proposition. That, of course, is in reference to the Surface Pro. The RT, on the other hand, is simple Microsoft's version of the iPad: a cool form factor for basic consumer needs, e.g. surfing the web, social media, checking web mail, Skype.

The cool thing about Surface is it's not a different OS from the desktop. Apple has OSX and iOS; they are distinct. Surface, the PC, laptop, and Phone all run W8. Consistent experience + integrated functionality + ability to use as both a business and consumer device; I think it's a great idea. Execution on that idea is the key; that's where Microsoft needs to be on their game. Now that the idea is out there, Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung, and others will try to do the same thing. If they can execute more efficiently, we will all win as consumers. Nothing breeds excellence more than true competition.

htismaqe 10-31-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9068236)
The ecosystem is changing fast. Over the last 5 years, all the upper level techs in my department have switched to Macs for their main system. Mainly because the majority of the executives at the top have switched to Mac. Supporting both PC and Mac is a requirement now, not a luxury. The Macs run OS X and Windows both, and that versatility makes them much more useful and worth the additional price.

It's so far from the self-absorbed hipster image you have in your mind, that it makes you look a little out of touch. I've introduced hundreds of iPads into our ecosystem over the last few years. And not to snobby hipsters, but shiny suit executives. If you completely shun Apple these days, you're going to significantly limit yourself in the IT field.

We have about 25000 iPad 2's in the field. They work great.

HC_Chief 10-31-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9069038)
We have about 25000 iPad 2's in the field. They work great.

WOW, that is quite a deployment. Have you guys developed a case study/whitepaper on it? I know of several companies struggling with the concept; guidance and working examples would be beneficial to them.

MOhillbilly 10-31-2012 01:51 PM

Did Google put out a tablet? If so did the advertisement for the tablet have a sound track from the greatest speed metal album evah?

HC_Chief 10-31-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9069140)
Did Google put out a tablet? If so did the advertisement for the tablet have a sound track from the greatest speed metal album evah?

That was unexpected... "Whoa, is that Raining Blood?"

htismaqe 10-31-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 9069082)
WOW, that is quite a deployment. Have you guys developed a case study/whitepaper on it? I know of several companies struggling with the concept; guidance and working examples would be beneficial to them.

I'm sure there's all kinds of marketing info out there, I can't really go into details without giving up personal info I don't want to give up.

It's pretty basic - Ipad + Afaria + Good for Enterprise.

007 10-31-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9068022)
Ahh... I forgot that you count GBs like most people count calories. That would explain things.

I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum. Sometimes I use 100-140GB of bandwidth a month.

My kids are getting better about not abusing netflix but with a 150 gb limit, I still have to keep an eye on it.

Mr. Laz 10-31-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9068022)
Ahh... I forgot that you count GBs like most people count calories. That would explain things.

I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum. Sometimes I use 100-140GB of bandwidth a month.

wow ... you are pretty hostile when it comes to electronics.

LMAO

Fish 10-31-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9069590)

LMAO

What do you mean?

TribalElder 10-31-2012 06:59 PM

The surface tablet is a clustered piece of shit

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...50x7o1_500.png

kaplin42 10-31-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9069892)
The surface tablet is a clustered piece of shit

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...50x7o1_500.png

is it perfect, nope, but it isn't a pos either.

There re some pretty cool things about it.

007 10-31-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9069590)

LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9069750)
What do you mean?

Guess he missed out on our last conversation about that subject. LMAO

BTW, he wasn't being hostile at all.

Mr. Laz 11-01-2012 12:23 PM

is the Nexus 7 any good?

KCFalcon59 11-01-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9071440)
is the Nexus 7 any good?

I like it. Nice screen, fast, perfect size for the hand, light. I have the 16 GB. Only thing it lacks is an SD Card slot to expand the memory. Hence why I bought the 16. Now you can get the 32 GB for what the 16 GB used to cost. Can't go wrong with it. IMHO

Mr. Laz 11-01-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 9071563)
I like it. Nice screen, fast, perfect size for the hand, light. I have the 16 GB. Only thing it lacks is an SD Card slot to expand the memory. Hence why I bought the 16. Now you can get the 32 GB for what the 16 GB used to cost. Can't go wrong with it. IMHO

how does it handle heavy content website?

full load flash sites etc

i know that android is part of that issue.