ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

Bewbies 11-25-2011 12:23 AM

I saw a commercial for the Xoom for $199 at Verizon I think...probably a black Friday deal.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8139979)
I saw a commercial for the Xoom for $199 at Verizon I think...probably a black Friday deal.

I saw that, too. Not sure if it's black Friday exclusive, but I'm sure it requires a 2-yr contact.

Still a good deal though.

DaFace 11-25-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8140015)
I saw that, too. Not sure if it's black Friday exclusive, but I'm sure it requires a 2-yr contact.

Still a good deal though.

Definitely requires a contract. Deal is mediocre at best for me.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-25-2011 09:41 AM

Newegg had the Toshiba Thrive 10" for $199. I had it in my cart at 12:02, clicked on checkout, and got timed out b/c they had already sold out.

:(

Consistent1 11-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 8140197)
Newegg had the Toshiba Thrive 10" for $199. I had it in my cart at 12:02, clicked on checkout, and got timed out b/c they had already sold out.

:(

That sucks. I got in on that $159 Dell Streak 7 from Best Buy. Should be a decent little toy for cheap. That Toshiba deal would have been nice though.

Vegas_Dave 11-25-2011 06:49 PM

I originally had one if the nook color devices that I had installed the cyanogen mod 7 on and loved it. Recently though, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and couldn't be happier. Great device. I personally have not been a fan of the whole 10.1" form factor especially for reading in portrait mode. The 8.9" screen is a great alternative. It still gives all of the tablet size usefulness but is a little easier to hold one handed and easier to use in portrait mode when reading.

Don't know if it will go much on a sale but I can say that it is really one worth considering.

Oregon chief 11-26-2011 09:39 PM

prices are getting low on these because there is a second generation of devices coming. Look for tablets with the tegra three processors in them. The first will be the Asus transformer prime due out in mid December.

NewChief 11-26-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon chief (Post 8143588)
prices are getting low on these because there is a second generation of devices coming. Look for tablets with the tegra three processors in them. The first will be the Asus transformer prime due out in mid December.

I'm waiting. I considered buying my sons (4 & 7) tablets for Christmas this year, but I think I'll wait one more year. I don't want an iPad for them, but I do want something that is dependable, functional, durable, and will give them a few years of functionality as an entertainment/educational device.

Mojo Rising 11-30-2011 01:15 PM

I saw the Vizio 8" tablet at Costco for $189. You would probably need to spend another $20-30 for an memory card. I wanted to buy a tablet at Best Buy because I have a gift card there and I don't know how long they'll be around.

The reviews aren't bad for the tablet when it was $350. The $189 price plus the Costco warranty might be too tempting for me to resist. Anyone have any experience with these?

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 01:21 PM

I placed a preorder for the Transformer Prime. I really want something before the new year, and nothing else is out there.

I'm someone that should never buy electronics, because I obsess too much about waiting for the next thing. But I'm happy with ICS, and I think the TP offers enough where I'll be happy with it and not wanting something else in 6 months.

DaFace 11-30-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156233)
I placed a preorder for the Transformer Prime. I really want something before the new year, and nothing else is out there.

I'm someone that should never buy electronics, because I obsess too much about waiting for the next thing. But I'm happy with ICS, and I think the TP offers enough where I'll be happy with it and not wanting something else in 6 months.

Nice. Looks like they've officially confirmed it for a December 8th release date. I'm damn tempted to go ahead and place my pre-order...

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 02:20 PM

I think reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, so there should be some further temptation for you then, assuming it lives up to expectations. ;)

DaFace 11-30-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156463)
I think reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, so there should be some further temptation for you then, assuming it lives up to expectations. ;)

Where'd you pre-order yours? I was going to go ahead and take the plunge, but now Newegg and Amazon are both "out of stock." I could preorder from Best Buy, but then I'd have to pay sales tax.

:sulk:

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8156486)
Where'd you pre-order yours? I was going to go ahead and take the plunge, but now Newegg and Amazon are both "out of stock." I could preorder from Best Buy, but then I'd have to pay sales tax.

:sulk:

I guess I got lucky and got in on Amazon before they took down the preorders. I'll have to watch it and make sure I don't get canceled. I don't mind when I get it though, as long as it's before new years.

There are a couple places that are still selling though. Check out XDA for some info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1367824

DaFace 11-30-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156667)
I guess I got lucky and got in on Amazon before they took down the preorders. I'll have to watch it and make sure I don't get canceled. I don't mind when I get it though, as long as it's before new years.

There are a couple places that are still selling though. Check out XDA for some info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1367824

Hmm...well, I may just hold off for a while. Rumor has it they may officially announce the release date tomorrow, so I'll wait and see for now at least. Good to know there are options, though. :thumb: