ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

JBucc 03-17-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4635957)
I get that one....I'm talking about the first hotel Moss goes to and hides the money in the vent. Eventually he rents an adjoining room because the Mexicans are staked out in his room (Chirgurh takes care of the three of them). How did they find him there?

Oh my bad didn't read it right. Beats me.

Perhaps the more important question is why were those Mexicans in the bathroom together.

KevB 03-17-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBucc (Post 4635968)
Oh my bad didn't read it right. Beats me.

Perhaps the more important question is why were those Mexicans in the bathroom together.

I can do without the answer to that particular question. :D

JBucc 03-17-2008 07:09 PM

I suppose they could have had a tracking thing, but they would have been awfully stupid not to have found it since it would have been going off like crazy since they were in the room with it. Plus the fact that the room didn't look "searched" so I think they didn't realize the money was still there and were waiting for Moss to come back with it.

Halfcan 03-17-2008 07:29 PM

Hitman

QuikSsurfer 03-17-2008 07:41 PM

Just watched the latest Gus Van Sant movie, Paranoid Park.

don't bother.

pikesome 03-17-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 4636025)
Hitman

I was expecting crap, was pleasantly surprised.

Frazod 03-17-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 4636025)
Hitman

I'm looking forward to seeing that. Timothy Olyphant is one of my favorite actors.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-17-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4636285)
I'm looking forward to seeing that. Timothy Olyphant is one of my favorite actors.

It's alright. Not great, but worth a rental.

Delano 03-18-2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4635836)
I'm no film critic, but I watched NCFOM last night and was engrossed. At times I found myself slowing my breath just to be sure I didn't miss any nuanced sounds (creaks on the old wood floor of the hotel, rustle of a curtain in hotel room at the end, etc.). The only two "flaws" that I'm having difficulty reconciling:

1) Woody Harrelson is supposed to be a grisled vet in the bounty hunter business, but is easily found and taken by Chigurh. That was a letdown, and somewhat hard to believe.

2) How did the Mexicans continue to track Moss? I get how they found his wife and MIL, but how did they find him at the first Motel (the Regal I believe?)?

The sound was great in the movie. When Llewllyn walks up to the hotel door after awakening and realizing that the host was dead, he bends down and listens to the cold breeze coming under the door. A door has been opened in the hotel! Then the damn shadows. FaaaReeeaKAY.

1) A Lt. Col. killed by a sniper you say? Yeah, Chigurh has a different code. Wells is just a day trader.

2) If you'll remember when Chigurh goes to kill his boss in the skyscraper, he is pissed that the boss gave a second receiver to the mexicans (Two parties were chasing the same transponder with two different receivers). Pick the right tool for the job, remember?

OnTheWarpath15 03-18-2008 09:35 AM

Rented and watched the following this past weekend:

American Gangster
Michael Clayton
3:10 to Yuma
No Country For Old Men

3:10 to Yuma was outstanding, IMO.

MC and AG were solid.

I couldn't have been MORE disappointed with NCFOM.

pikesome 03-18-2008 11:17 AM

I didn't see it mentioned but I watched Next w/ Cage this weekend I wasn't disgusted. I was a bit worried since PK Dick's stories haven't done so well on the big screen. It could have been better but it was well worth the PPV price I paid.

KevB 03-18-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 4636522)
1) A Lt. Col. killed by a sniper you say? Yeah, Chigurh has a different code. Wells is just a day trader.

2) If you'll remember when Chigurh goes to kill his boss in the skyscraper, he is pissed that the boss gave a second receiver to the mexicans (Two parties were chasing the same transponder with two different receivers). Pick the right tool for the job, remember?

I think the day trader comment was his attempt to portray himself as a non-threat. How would a day trader know about Chigurh?

I think Chigurh was pissed that they sent Woody Harrelson out into the field, not the Mexicans. I think the Mexicans were in it for themselves. I also doubt anyone else had a second receiver. The Mexicans would have found the money in the hotel room they were sitting in if they had one.

Frazod 03-18-2008 10:56 PM

Just got done watching I Am Legend. Wish I'd seen it in the theater. I really enjoyed it.

And unlike the last new movie I watched, No Country For Old Men, the ending didn't make me want to beat the shit out of someone. :grr:

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-19-2008 01:56 AM

I really enjoyed the cinematography of the first 1/2 of NCFOM, and the suspense of the chase reminded me eerily of The Terminator, especially given the wooden, sociopathic nature of the antagonist. There are some things that I find a bit off-putting--

I thought that it was an interesting choice for them to kill Moss off screen and have no real denouement in the story, but those also struck me (and granted, they are following the book) as iconoclasm for the sake of itself---like guys in Seattle with good jobs who drink Pabst and shop and good will not because they're thrifty, but because it's different and edgy. You can still have a protagonist get killed by someone whom you weren't expecting, but given the pacing of the film, it seemed like an odd choice to make since the first 100 minutes were cat and mouse.

I also thought the scene with Barry Corbin was a little forced...it's almost as though they realized they were 85% done with the film and needed some more dialogue from the book and philosophical grounding, so they patched that scene in.

I thought it was a very good movie, but not a masterpiece. To each his own.

irishjayhawk 03-21-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4638042)
Just got done watching I Am Legend. Wish I'd seen it in the theater. I really enjoyed it.

And unlike the last new movie I watched, No Country For Old Men, the ending didn't make me want to beat the shit out of someone. :grr:

You obviously didn't read the superior book. Sorry, I Am Legend just pisses me off, especially any one mentions the end. It sucked period. Enough said.