View Full Version : Chiefs Moeaki Article

NIUhuskies
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Ex-Wheaton Warrenville South star Tony Moeaki making mark as NFL rookie

By Scott Schmid, sschmid@mysuburbanlife.com
Suburban Life Publications
Posted Nov 04, 2010 @ 09:19 AM
Last update Nov 04, 2010 @ 02:00 PM

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lyons/archive/x782434009/g12c0000000000000001b34dfafa49e75fbd41bddb62adc86801c4a2490.jpg

Western suburbs, IL —

A former standout at Wheaton Warrenville South, Tony Moeaki went on to play at the University of Iowa before being drafted in the third round of the NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. The tight end is having a great start to his pro career, leading the Chiefs with 24 receptions. His first touchdown catch put Kansas City ahead for good in his NFL debut against the San Diego Chargers, and his second TD was a spectacular one-handed, diving grab against San Francisco.

What has your experience in the NFL been like so far, both with training camp and your first several games?

"It’s definitely been exciting. Ever since I was drafted by the Chiefs I feel like it’s been full go. I came to mini-camp, rookie mini-camp and OTAs right into training camp and now we’re in the season now obviously. It’s just been a crazy ride and it’s been fun so far. Hopefully it can continue to get better.”

What was it like to catch your first touchdown pass in the NFL, which turned out to be the game-winner against San Diego in your first game?

"It was definitely really exciting. It was a sold out crowd for the opening Monday Night Football game at Arrowhead and it was my first game, so it was pretty special. To score a touchdown was really exciting, but more importantly, to get the win was the best part."

Has anything surprised you so far in your first pro season?

"Certainly everything is somewhat surprising but I feel like Coach (Kirk) Ferentz prepared me well at the University of Iowa and it’s been, not an easy transition, but it was definitely a lot of help coming from a coach like that. Very similar things, so it definitely helped a lot coming from Iowa."

How exciting has the Chiefs’ start to the season been for everyone involved?

"We’re (5-2) and whenever you have a winning record it’s exciting but we just have to take it one game at a time. Right now our focus is on our next opponent and that’s where our attention is."

What makes the Wheaton Warrenville South football program so special and how much does it mean to you to have been a part of it?

"It’s really special. Wheaton Warrenville South has a ton of tradition going back to when my older brothers played there, Larry and John. Actually my oldest brother John, his senior year was the first year they had a winning season in like 20 years and they’ve been winning ever since. My other older brother, Larry, won a state championship and they’re still winning right now. Coach (John) Thorne and now Coach (Ron) Muhitch have done a really great job. And like I said Coach Ferentz helped me transition to the NFL, Coach Muhitch helped me transition to college football really well. I was able to play as a true freshman at Iowa, so that coaching staff up there does a great job."

Favorite couple of memories playing high school football in the suburbs of Chicago?

"There are a lot of good memories. I would say that being with all my friends, my best friends and playing high school football. There’s something special about Friday night football, high school football. It’s different than college and NFL games, you’re playing in front of the same people every week and I had a lot of great basketball memories there too with Coach (Mike) Healy. I had a great high school experience and I would say my senior year basketball season and then making the run in the playoffs my junior and senior year were really special."

Has there been any player or players that have been cool to go up against or to be on the same field with so far?

"Every NFL team has special players so almost every week you’re like, ‘Oh wow, I remember watching him in high school or seeing him make plays in big games in a Super Bowl or something.’ We played the Colts a few weeks ago and you see Peyton Manning, he’s one of the faces of the NFL. Every week though you see someone and there’s someone really good out there no matter what."

Copyright 2010 Lyons Suburban Life. Some rights reserved
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lyons/features/x360239374/Ex-Wheaton-Warrenville-South-star-Tony-Moeaki-making-mark-as-NFL-rookie?img=1

MMXcalibur
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Moeaki didn't catch a pass until overtime in the win over Buffalo. That can't happen again.

L.A. Chieffan
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
If it wasn't for cassels awesome pinpoint accuracy moeaki wouldn't have been able to make that catch