Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 PM  
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $22406
Support for the death penalty is falling.

The death penalty is still favored by a good majority in the country, with 61% favoring it when no alternative is offered. That's down, however, from 80% from ~20 years ago.

When "life without parole" is offered as an alternative, however, it loses -- 42% to 52%. A record.

It's possible that it's just a "negative bump" from the recent botched execution, but trends have been going that direction for a couple decades now.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...death-penalty/

New Low in Preference for the Death Penalty
By Damla Ergun
Jun 5, 2014 7:00am

A majority of Americans favor life imprisonment without parole over the death penalty for convicted murderers, a first in ABC News/Washington Post polls.

Given a choice between the two options, 52 percent pick life in prison as the preferred punishment, while 42 percent favor the death penalty – the fewest in polls dating back 15 years. The result follows a botched execution by lethal injection in Oklahoma in late April.

Without an alternative offered, 61 percent continue to support the death penalty, matching 2007 as the fewest in polls back to the early 1980s. That’s down sharply from 80 percent in 1994.

Clearly there’s remaining ambivalence; when offered the option of life imprisonment with no chance of parole, 29 percent of death penalty supporters prefer the alternative.

INJECTIONS – Another result finds that most supporters of capital punishment hold that position even if lethal injections became unavailable or were outlawed. Just 16 percent of death penalty supporters say either of those would constitute grounds for doing away with capital punishment; eight in 10 would shift to another method, e.g., the electric chair or gas chamber.

Lethal injections have come under scrutiny, on issues including the unavailability of customarily used drugs, following the 43-minute botched execution of inmate Clayton D. Lockett in Oklahoma. A new law in Tennessee allows for electrocution if lethal drugs are not available.

Support for the death penalty is higher in the 32 states that have it, 64 percent, vs. 54 percent elsewhere. In a wider gap, people in death-penalty states divide about evenly in their preference for capital punishment vs. life without parole, while in other states life imprisonment is preferred by a 20-point margin.

This survey, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates, measures views on the death penalty in general. Previous polling has shown that attitudes on capital punishment can vary widely depending on the nature and circumstances of the crime.

GROUPS – Views on capital punishment range among groups. Fifty-six percent of women support the death penalty, rising to 66 percent of men. And women prefer life in prison to the death penalty by 57-37 percent, while men are evenly divided.

There’s also a vast gap by race; whites are more likely than nonwhites to support the death penalty, and to prefer it over life in prison, by 23- and 22-point margins. The gaps are widest comparing whites to blacks, a group that’s generally skeptical of the criminal justice system. Their support for the death penalty is lower than that of any other group.

Among other groups, support for the death penalty peaks among evangelical white Protestants and Republicans, at eight in 10 each, dropping to 47 percent among Democrats. It’s 20 points higher among conservatives than liberals.

Preference for capital punishment over life in prison follows similar patterns, peaking at 65 percent among evangelical white Protestants (vs. 36 percent of their non-evangelical counterparts). It’s 30 points higher among Republicans than Democrats, and 25 points higher among conservatives than liberals.

In terms of change, preference for the death penalty vs. life in prison is down by 8 points since 2006, with the most pronounced drops (by 10 to 20 points) among non-evangelical white Protestants, seniors, nonwhites, less-educated adults, liberals and independents.

METHODOLOGY – This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone May 29-June 1, 2014, in English and Spanish, among a random national sample of 1,002 adults, including landline and cell-phone-only respondents. Results have a margin of sampling error of 3.5 points, including design effect.

The survey was produced for ABC News by Langer Research Associates of New York, N.Y., with sampling, data collection and tabulation by Abt-SRBI of New York, N.Y.
Posts: 46,722
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
raybec 4 raybec 4 is offline
Veteran
 
raybec 4's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $7899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
I'm not sure I see the relevance since in egregious cases, the D.P. will still be pursued. Take for example the clown down in Springfield who kidnapped, raped, and murdered the 10 year old Hailey girl. DNA won't help him - it'll actually implicate him. He's a goner.
I don't know man, Richard Delong and Bobby Lingle killed a woman and her three kids by strangling them and neither of them got the DP. That should have been a no brainer.
Posts: 3,616
raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.raybec 4 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #17
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $19924
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
The government also granted prosecutors almost total immunity. So, there is really no punishment if they violate Brady, intentionally mislead the jury, or really any other unethical or illegal action as a prosecutor.
Please explain this to dipshits PB and HFC.
Posts: 20,139
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The bitch is BACK!
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $19816
A DP case is almost entirely in the hands of a jury of peers - and no amount of squealing can change the fact you made a dumb point (yet again) Cosmo. Besides there are defense attorneys anyway so don't act like the system is full up with massive conspiracies because it isn't.


If you need 7th grade civics on how jury trials work, PM me.
__________________
I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch
Oh the bitch is back!
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
Posts: 15,458
Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Dayze Dayze is offline
Resident Glue Sniffer
 
Dayze's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $15403
I support it. but if they did away with it, they need to make life w/out parole and put them in a cell with no TV etc. everytime i watch lock up, or a similar show, all those ****ers do is hang out, sleep, watch TV and play dominoes in a common area.
__________________
Life is 99% inspiration, 1% Perspiration, and 1% Attention to Detial.
Posts: 26,960
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $19924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
A DP case is almost entirely in the hands of a jury of peers - and no amount of squealing can change the fact you made a dumb point (yet again) Cosmo. Besides there are defense attorneys anyway so don't act like the system is full up with massive conspiracies because it isn't.

If you need 7th grade civics on how jury trials work, PM me.
Yeah, except for the arrest, collection of evidence, preservation of evidence, presentation of evidence, rulings regarding admissibility of evidence, rulings regarding admissibility of testimony, etc.

Are you and HCF having a contest to see who can act more idiotic?

I didn't say the system is filled up with conspiracies. I said that it is odd that the people who are most distrustful of govt tend to be the most gung-ho about the death penalty, which doesn't make any sense.
Posts: 20,139
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
DaveNull DaveNull is offline
Veteran
 
DaveNull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Villa Straylight
Casino cash: $7303
The idea of the death penalty as a general and specific deterrent are fine in concept, but not in practice.

Court appointed attorneys often don't have the expertise to handle a capital murder case and the public defender system is overloaded.
Posts: 1,303
DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The bitch is BACK!
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $19816
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
Yeah, except for the arrest, collection of evidence, preservation of evidence, presentation of evidence, rulings regarding admissibility of evidence, rulings regarding admissibility of testimony, etc.

Are you and HCF having a contest to see who can act more idiotic?

I didn't say the system is filled up with conspiracies. I said that it is odd that the people who are most distrustful of govt tend to be the most gung-ho about the death penalty, which doesn't make any sense.

Your point about cops is even dumber since conservatives strongly favor law and order, and are very pro-cop. And since conservatives are all racist pigs, they would love any system that by course is set up to protect crooked cops who would disproportionately screw minorities (as we see in arrest stats)



You made a really stupid point, and you can't admit it. It's your nature.
__________________
I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch
Oh the bitch is back!
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
Posts: 15,458
Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $19924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Your point about cops is even dumber since conservatives strongly favor law and order, and are very pro-cop. And since conservatives are all racist pigs, they would love any system that by course is set up to protect crooked cops who would disproportionately screw minorities (as we see in arrest stats)



You made a really stupid point, and you can't admit it. It's your nature.
Seems like they used to be. And then it became assumed that every police action was of a political nature with a goal of filling up Obama's FEMA camps.
Posts: 20,139
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #24
GloucesterChief GloucesterChief is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $9889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
A DP case is almost entirely in the hands of a jury of peers - and no amount of squealing can change the fact you made a dumb point (yet again) Cosmo. Besides there are defense attorneys anyway so don't act like the system is full up with massive conspiracies because it isn't.


If you need 7th grade civics on how jury trials work, PM me.
Defense attorneys don't usually have the virtually unlimited funds that the state prosecutors have. In fact, even if the defendant is declared innocent they do not get their legal fees paid by the state they have to pay out of pocket. Defense attorneys usually have to rely on the prosecutor turning over all the evidence according to Brady vs. Maryland. Imbaler vs. Pachtman gave prosecutors immunity from civil suits no matter how egregious the abuse including failing to turn over exculpatory evidence. The only ones held liable would be the jurisdiction that the prosecutor worked for if the lawsuit isn't tossed beforehand.

The state bar is supposed to deal with prosecutorial misconduct and abuse but since it is made up of prosecutors its like having the fox guarding the hen house.

There is a perverse incentive for prosecutors. Pursuing justice does not get you higher office or re-elected. Winning in court does. Violating Brady and putting people away when the public is screaming for someone to punish makes you a hero in the public's eyes. Prosecutors are very rarely punished for Constitutional violations if at all. So there is the gain of greater money, power, and prestige on one hand while very little risk of punishment on the other.

Hell, look at Janet Reno. She tried to railroad Bobby Fijnje. Probably did railroad the Fusters in the Country Walk case. She wasn't disbarred or sanctioned or held responsible in anyway. She was promoted or Attorney General of the United States.
Posts: 1,903
GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #25
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The bitch is BACK!
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $19816
Is there a big difference in public prosecutors and defenders? Seems like they both forgo higher pay in the private sector. I'd guess they're largely cut from the same cloth. The point really is whether conservatives should trust a death penalty case given their fear of government and that point is really odd.
__________________
I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch
Oh the bitch is back!
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
Posts: 15,458
Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Discuss Thrower Discuss Thrower is offline
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
 
Discuss Thrower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: No, where do YOU live?
Casino cash: $15919
The amendment against "cruel and unusual punishment" rewards all the wrong people.
__________________

- credit goes to BoneKrusher for the pic

Chiefs 2015 Opponents:
Home: CLE, PIT, CHI, DET, AFC East. Away: BAL, CIN, GB, MIN, AFC South
Chiefs 2016 Opponents:
Home: JAX, TEN, NO, TB, AFC East. Away: HOU, IND, ATL, CAR, AFC North
Chiefs 2017 Opponents:
Home: BUF, MIA, PHI, WSH, AFC North. Away: NE, NYJ, NYG, DAL, AFC South
Posts: 12,734
Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Discuss Thrower 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #27
Trolly McTrollson Trolly McTrollson is offline
Starter
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Casino cash: $5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post
I support it. but if they did away with it, they need to make life w/out parole and put them in a cell with no TV etc. everytime i watch lock up, or a similar show, all those ****ers do is hang out, sleep, watch TV and play dominoes in a common area.
It generally makes prisoners easier to manage when they've got stuff to occupy their time other than planning escapes and stabbing their cellmates.
Posts: 249
Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Trolly McTrollson must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #28
GloucesterChief GloucesterChief is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $9889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Is there a big difference in public prosecutors and defenders? Seems like they both forgo higher pay in the private sector. I'd guess they're largely cut from the same cloth. The point really is whether conservatives should trust a death penalty case given their fear of government and that point is really odd.
Big difference. The public defenders only get a small slice of the budget. Prosecutors get a lot more and have the resources of that state at their beck and call. People who use public defenders for example don't have the cash to get an independent DNA analysis done for example.

If you are a defense attorney you go into private practice and earn your money there.

If you are a prosecutor you stay in public service because that is where the money and prestige is.

One is a career the other isn't.

I would love to see a system that instead of having career prosecutors and defense attorneys that there are only defense attorneys and the prosecutor is picked from a pool of defense attorneys for that case only.

Barring that another solution is that if a defendant is found innocent or not guilty their defense costs are payed by the state.
Posts: 1,903
GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #29
planetdoc planetdoc is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Casino cash: $5030
Death penalty ruled unconstitutional in California
(highlights)
Quote:
A federal judge ruled California's death penalty unconstitutional Wednesday, writing that lengthy and unpredictable delays have resulted in an arbitrary and unfair capital punishment system.
Posts: 1,990
planetdoc has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #30
GloryDayz GloryDayz is offline
Good luck KC Chiefs...
 
GloryDayz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Casino cash: $27910
Does that mean gang warfare is going to go down? Shit!
Posts: 25,107
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.