Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM  
tk13 tk13 is offline
...
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $7910
Why Geno Smith fell in the draft

I've seen a couple other posts about this... but this probably deserves it's own thread considering how many hours we've wasted arguing about the guy. This is the first article I've seen theorizing why Geno fell in the draft. Time will tell whether it's accurate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

Quote:
On April 23, Smith, his agents, some family members and several friends gathered for dinner in New York in advance of the draft, a gathering confirmed by a family member. At one point, everyone around the table stood to give a toast to celebrate the evening.

Smith went last, thanking everyone and declaring that entire group his agents included were a "family" that would stay together his entire career, if not the rest of his life, the sources said. Smith, who at one point was expecting to be the No. 1 overall pick and at least a top 10 selection, has big plans for his career. Smith, according to the sources, hopes to emulate players such as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, putting himself cut above the rest of the quarterback fray.

The problem is that NFL types see a guy who, right now, doesn't understand how to get there.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft.

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

---

One possible factor in Smith dropping to the second round is a concern about leadership.

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

"Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said.

---

By Sunday, Smith was being convinced by other friends that it was the fault of his agents that he slipped so much in the draft, according to one of the sources.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.
Posts: 35,691
tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #106
jd1020 jd1020 is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Casino cash: $8786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Alex Smith was the best QB we could have acquired this offseason and that's a fact.

I like how that's a "fact."

You telling me that not one of the QBs drafted will be as below adequate as Alex Smith?
Posts: 14,313
jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #107
Count Zarth Count Zarth is offline
JUST SAY NO
 
Count Zarth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $15349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan View Post
he sucked, HORRIBLY down the stretch.
And still embarrassed Alex Smith's TD and yardage numbers!
__________________
The Chiefs will finish 5-11, Alex Smith will play horribly, and Geno and I will cackle with glee while he burns Kansas City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace View Post
I may be brain dead who knows.
Posts: 167,899
Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #108
RunKC RunKC is offline
Just a humble bounty hunter
 
RunKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Casino cash: $6465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
I like how that's a "fact."

You telling me that not one of the QBs drafted will be as below adequate as Alex Smith?
Probably not. Especially next year.
__________________
Clay's bet: "Alex Smith doesn't have a prayer of throwing 25 TDs."
Posts: 5,735
RunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRunKC 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #109
Mavericks Ace Mavericks Ace is offline
Snoopy
 
Mavericks Ace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Casino cash: $10822
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
I like how that's a "fact."

You telling me that not one of the QBs drafted will be as below adequate as Alex Smith?
not this year.....And that to the chiefs is all that matters........
__________________
Cleveland......The place where happiness goes to die.

Im a bandwagon fan, I like the Chiefs, and Browns. I love misery.
Posts: 10,545
Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #110
the Talking Can the Talking Can is offline
MVP
 
the Talking Can's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: street
Casino cash: $6531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan View Post
Shrugs. I wont try to argue with you on it. You are completely right. Every single issue with the 49ers including 2004, when the 49ers went 2-14, was because of alex smith. You are spot on. IN this league, you never have to have talent around you, an ownership committed to winning, a competent coaching staff. You just need a competent qb. You also never have to worry about drafting a guy because you dont think you can sign the other guy.

If you cant figure everything out that I just said in that last paragraph, then you really need to do some research.
so you're not going to post them?

because if you name yourself after the 3,456th best QB in nfl history, you probably have no business trashing a QB that put up better stats, and played more games, over the same stage of his career than the 3,456th best QB you love

and making excuses for an injury prone first round bust, whose most recent accomplishment was being benched, is marcellus level IQ
__________________
Clark Hunt: "Thank god for the Dominican pool boy"
Posts: 48,936
the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #111
jd1020 jd1020 is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Casino cash: $8786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Probably not. Especially next year.
Who cares about 1 year?

Chiefs gonna win the SB this year or something?
Posts: 14,313
jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.jd1020 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #112
Mavericks Ace Mavericks Ace is offline
Snoopy
 
Mavericks Ace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Casino cash: $10822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice View Post
And still embarrassed Alex Smith's TD and yardage numbers!
lol, He sure did. On a losing team, that was always trailing rarely leading, and didnt have near the defense, nor running game that the 49ers have.

GREAT COMPARISON CLAY, JUST OUTSTANDING.
__________________
Cleveland......The place where happiness goes to die.

Im a bandwagon fan, I like the Chiefs, and Browns. I love misery.
Posts: 10,545
Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #113
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $9133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
I've seen a couple other posts about this... but this probably deserves it's own thread considering how many hours we've wasted arguing about the guy. This is the first article I've seen theorizing why Geno fell in the draft. Time will tell whether it's accurate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html
If 31 teams passed on him (some more than once) largely because he wasn't chatty enough during visits, that's pretty stupid. Article sounds like someone is blowing something out of proportion.
Posts: 18,412
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #114
Count Zarth Count Zarth is offline
JUST SAY NO
 
Count Zarth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $15349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan View Post
lol, He sure did. On a losing team, that was always trailing rarely leading, and didnt have near the defense, nor running game that the 49ers have.

GREAT COMPARISON CLAY, JUST OUTSTANDING.
You know what Josh Freeman becomes on the 49ers?

He comes Colin Kaepernick.

Get ****ed, homer.
__________________
The Chiefs will finish 5-11, Alex Smith will play horribly, and Geno and I will cackle with glee while he burns Kansas City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace View Post
I may be brain dead who knows.
Posts: 167,899
Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #115
the Talking Can the Talking Can is offline
MVP
 
the Talking Can's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: street
Casino cash: $6531
the 49ers, by the way, drafted a first round bust in Alex Smith, and it didn't destroy their franchise forever....they just drafted another QB and went to the super bowl


in case you need yet more proof that Chiefs are always doing it wrong
__________________
Clark Hunt: "Thank god for the Dominican pool boy"
Posts: 48,936
the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #116
Mavericks Ace Mavericks Ace is offline
Snoopy
 
Mavericks Ace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Casino cash: $10822
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Talking Can View Post
so you're not going to post them?

because if you name yourself after the 3,456th best QB in nfl history, you probably have no business trashing a QB that put up better stats, and played more games, over the same stage of his career than the 3,456th best QB you love

and making excuses for an injury prone first round bust, whose most recent accomplishment was being benched, is marcellus level IQ
I dont have to post anything. Obviously, between the fact that Alex Smith isnt that talented, mixed with the LEADERSHIP, the owner, the coaching staff, the talent around Alex Smith, he wasnt going to succeed regardless. Its like the argument that 49er fans have amongst themselves, about what if it had been Aaron Rodgers instead of Alex Smith. There is no point discussing it.

Alex Smith, is not a great qb today. But, he is 1000x the qb today, than he was his first 5 years in the league. Care to debate that fact? Who cares what my name is. I respect the guy, for his character as much, if not more so than anything he has done on the field. So, give it up already. Just because my name is alex smith fan, doesnt mean i think the guy is a top 15 qb, hes not, nor do i think that he is perfect. Hes not. Soooooo, with closing on that. Last season, Josh Freeman had more talent around him, than Alex Smith ever had on offense in his entire career. Also played in a crap division with no top defenses. The NFC WEST, HAD 4 TOP 12 DEFENSES. The Nfc SOUTH. ZERO......
__________________
Cleveland......The place where happiness goes to die.

Im a bandwagon fan, I like the Chiefs, and Browns. I love misery.
Posts: 10,545
Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #117
Mavericks Ace Mavericks Ace is offline
Snoopy
 
Mavericks Ace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Casino cash: $10822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice View Post
You know what Josh Freeman becomes on the 49ers?

He comes Colin Kaepernick.

Get ****ed, homer.
How am I a homer? And how does that work exactly? Considering that the receiving corps that the Buccs had last season, was BETTER than the 49ers. And yet, and still they were ass. Freeman was ass down the stretch. HIM.. Yes, he was ass. You mad bro?

Im not the stupid one comparing stats between a team that runs the ball 54 percent of the time, EVEN WITH COLIN KAEPERNICK, and one that runs it about 44 percent. Its called relativity Clay. You may impress a lot of these guys on here because you are willing to do research that supports your point of view, and thats all fine and dandy. I just spit on those stats, put them in perspective, and you get pissed.
__________________
Cleveland......The place where happiness goes to die.

Im a bandwagon fan, I like the Chiefs, and Browns. I love misery.
Posts: 10,545
Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #118
the Talking Can the Talking Can is offline
MVP
 
the Talking Can's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: street
Casino cash: $6531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan View Post
I dont have to post anything. Obviously, between the fact that Alex Smith isnt that talented, mixed with the LEADERSHIP, the owner, the coaching staff, the talent around Alex Smith, he wasnt going to succeed regardless. Its like the argument that 49er fans have amongst themselves, about what if it had been Aaron Rodgers instead of Alex Smith. There is no point discussing it.

Alex Smith, is not a great qb today. But, he is 1000x the qb today, than he was his first 5 years in the league. Care to debate that fact? Who cares what my name is. I respect the guy, for his character as much, if not more so than anything he has done on the field. So, give it up already. Just because my name is alex smith fan, doesnt mean i think the guy is a top 15 qb, hes not, nor do i think that he is perfect. Hes not. Soooooo, with closing on that. Last season, Josh Freeman had more talent around him, than Alex Smith ever had on offense in his entire career. Also played in a crap division with no top defenses. The NFC WEST, HAD 4 TOP 12 DEFENSES. The Nfc SOUTH. ZERO......
that a lot of words to not dispute what I wrote

Alex Smith is a nobody...so you can pretty much just stop running down better QBs....it's dishonest, and stupid

imagine 'Elvis Grbac Fan' making an ass out of himself on a Raven's board back in the day....
__________________
Clark Hunt: "Thank god for the Dominican pool boy"
Posts: 48,936
the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #119
Mavericks Ace Mavericks Ace is offline
Snoopy
 
Mavericks Ace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Casino cash: $10822
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Talking Can View Post
the 49ers, by the way, drafted a first round bust in Alex Smith, and it didn't destroy their franchise forever....they just drafted another QB and went to the super bowl


in case you need yet more proof that Chiefs are always doing it wrong
Colin Kaepernick. Drafted in 2011. Alex Smith drafted in 2005. It took them 8 years to correct the mistakes by JOHN YORK, the cheap dirtbag.
__________________
Cleveland......The place where happiness goes to die.

Im a bandwagon fan, I like the Chiefs, and Browns. I love misery.
Posts: 10,545
Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.Mavericks Ace is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #120
the Talking Can the Talking Can is offline
MVP
 
the Talking Can's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: street
Casino cash: $6531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan View Post
Colin Kaepernick. Drafted in 2011. Alex Smith drafted in 2005. It took them 8 years to correct the mistakes by JOHN YORK, the cheap dirtbag.
8 whole years?

do you know anything about the Chiefs?

do you know....anything?
__________________
Clark Hunt: "Thank god for the Dominican pool boy"
Posts: 48,936
the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.