Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM  
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $178158
Billy Butler doesn’t want to be traded, hopes Royals pick up $12.5 million option

Bye Billy...




BOSTON
Billy Butler swung a pair of Mariucci bats inside the visitors’ clubhouse at Fenway Park, rotating the lumber from hand to hand, pondering the factors behind his first-half torment.

“Some years, you just have a down year,” said Butler, the Royals’ designated hitter. “And you feel the same. For whatever reason, it just happens. I’m not saying you’re any less of a player than you were.

“My bat speed’s still there. I get to certain pitches. I mean, these shifts are messing with me, too. I hit balls up the middle, and they get to them. They used to be hits. When I came up, there were no shifts!”

Butler was smiling. The worst offensive season of his career has not dented his confidence, and has not blemished his faith in his ability. He understands the Royals face a decision on his contract after this season, with a $12.5 million team option that appears unlikely to be picked up.

But in Butler’s view, when it comes to that option, his .811 career on-base plus slugging percentage should outweigh his .679 OPS in 2014.

“My numbers throughout my contract suggest they should (pick it up),” Butler said. “Maybe not the way I’ve necessarily played this year, but that’s the reason you play a full 162 games. The evaluation is there. That’s the reason why you have a track record.

“If you want to go off 90-something games, you can say, ‘yeah, it’s not justified.’ If you want to go off of other ones, yeah, it probably is. It’s all how you want to look at it.”

At 28, Butler continued, “my best years are still ahead of me,” and he insisted he would like to spend the rest of his career as a Royal. Which is why, if Kansas City does not intend to pick up the option, he said he would be willing to renegotiate an extension at a lower rate than $12.5 million per season.

“I’ve been in the organization for 10 years, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” he said. “I’d like stay here and win something. It’s not my decision.”

It is unclear how Butler fits into the organization’s long-term plans. It is unclear if he will even finish the season with the Royals. Butler spent his All-Star break on Cape Cod, with trade rumors swirling around him. The talk is still light, as the prospective of a deal is still considered unlikely, but ESPN reported there have been preliminary discussions between the Royals and Seattle.

The Mariners have coveted Butler for years, and were one of the teams who engaged with general manager Dayton Moore about Butler last winter. The Royals entertained the idea, especially as they pursued free-agent veteran Carlos Beltran, but ultimately stuck with Butler.

“If we’re giving up Billy Butler, we need to get back a player who can bat fourth in our lineup,” one club official said this past spring, when reminiscing on the reasons for keeping him.

But Butler no longer bats fourth for the Royals. He has fallen to sixth in the order, and followed up an encouraging .811 OPS in June with an immediate downturn in the final two weeks before the break. So the Royals must ponder if they can improve their club by flipping Butler, rather than just letting him depart in free agency without compensation this winter.

A few factors reduce the possibility of a trade. Butler’s own performance has decimated his value — few rival clubs are likely to part with major assets for a player who has struggled so much this season. The Royals also lack a viable replacement at designated hitter, as Raul Ibañez has shown little evidence of revival thus far.

At this point in the season, Butler explained there was little reason to discuss his future with his employers. His role is to produce at the plate. In the next few months, the situation will be sorted out.

“They might want me to still be a Royal, and I might still want to be a Royal,” Butler said. “It might just not be in the cards. I might not fit into their future plans. I’ll fit in somebody’s future. But I don’t know where, if it’s not here.”


Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb...#storylink=cpy
Posts: 49,057
Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $259570
Quote:
“My bat speed’s still there. I get to certain pitches. I mean, these shifts are messing with me, too. I hit balls up the middle, and they get to them. They used to be hits. When I came up, there were no shifts!”

__________________
"Finally, anyone who uses the terms, irregardless, a whole nother, or all of a sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp."

Stewie Griffin
Posts: 64,628
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
eDave eDave is offline
Veteran
 
eDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $1023118
This reeks of desperation. He's washing out quick.
Posts: 2,121
eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.eDave has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $178158
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
heh, apparently shifts just started last year.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 49,057
Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
stonedstooge stonedstooge is offline
Arf! Arf! Arf!
 
stonedstooge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North
Casino cash: $417523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Bye Billy...




BOSTON
Billy Butler swung a pair of Mariucci bats inside the visitors’ clubhouse at Fenway Park, rotating the lumber from hand to hand, pondering the factors behind his first-half torment.

“Some years, you just have a down year,” said Butler, the Royals’ designated hitter. “And you feel the same. For whatever reason, it just happens. I’m not saying you’re any less of a player than you were.

My bat speed’s still there. I get to certain pitches. I mean, these shifts are messing with me, too. I hit balls up the middle, and they get to them. They used to be hits. When I came up, there were no shifts!”

Butler was smiling. The worst offensive season of his career has not dented his confidence, and has not blemished his faith in his ability. He understands the Royals face a decision on his contract after this season, with a $12.5 million team option that appears unlikely to be picked up.

But in Butler’s view, when it comes to that option, his .811 career on-base plus slugging percentage should outweigh his .679 OPS in 2014.

“My numbers throughout my contract suggest they should (pick it up),” Butler said. “Maybe not the way I’ve necessarily played this year, but that’s the reason you play a full 162 games. The evaluation is there. That’s the reason why you have a track record.

“If you want to go off 90-something games, you can say, ‘yeah, it’s not justified.’ If you want to go off of other ones, yeah, it probably is. It’s all how you want to look at it.”

At 28, Butler continued, “my best years are still ahead of me,” and he insisted he would like to spend the rest of his career as a Royal. Which is why, if Kansas City does not intend to pick up the option, he said he would be willing to renegotiate an extension at a lower rate than $12.5 million per season.

“I’ve been in the organization for 10 years, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” he said. “I’d like stay here and win something. It’s not my decision.”

It is unclear how Butler fits into the organization’s long-term plans. It is unclear if he will even finish the season with the Royals. Butler spent his All-Star break on Cape Cod, with trade rumors swirling around him. The talk is still light, as the prospective of a deal is still considered unlikely, but ESPN reported there have been preliminary discussions between the Royals and Seattle.

The Mariners have coveted Butler for years, and were one of the teams who engaged with general manager Dayton Moore about Butler last winter. The Royals entertained the idea, especially as they pursued free-agent veteran Carlos Beltran, but ultimately stuck with Butler.

“If we’re giving up Billy Butler, we need to get back a player who can bat fourth in our lineup,” one club official said this past spring, when reminiscing on the reasons for keeping him.

But Butler no longer bats fourth for the Royals. He has fallen to sixth in the order, and followed up an encouraging .811 OPS in June with an immediate downturn in the final two weeks before the break. So the Royals must ponder if they can improve their club by flipping Butler, rather than just letting him depart in free agency without compensation this winter.

A few factors reduce the possibility of a trade. Butler’s own performance has decimated his value — few rival clubs are likely to part with major assets for a player who has struggled so much this season. The Royals also lack a viable replacement at designated hitter, as Raul Ibañez has shown little evidence of revival thus far.

At this point in the season, Butler explained there was little reason to discuss his future with his employers. His role is to produce at the plate. In the next few months, the situation will be sorted out.

“They might want me to still be a Royal, and I might still want to be a Royal,” Butler said. “It might just not be in the cards. I might not fit into their future plans. I’ll fit in somebody’s future. But I don’t know where, if it’s not here.”


Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb...#storylink=cpy
Ah, no it isn't Belly
__________________
2013 ADOPT A CHIEF
Eric Kush




"Often is a word I seldom use"--JP
Posts: 19,340
stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Big Smoke Big Smoke is online now
Season's Over
 
Big Smoke's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grove Street
Casino cash: $20937568
Wouldn't be surprised if he just retires after this season.
Posts: 11,303
Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Big Smoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
gblowfish gblowfish is offline
Be Kind To Your Pets
 
gblowfish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Glorious Independence, MO
Casino cash: $3179904
Belly = Bob Hamelin
Posts: 26,341
gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Fruit Ninja Fruit Ninja is offline
KCXIV
 
Fruit Ninja's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Valley, Cali
Casino cash: $620712
shifts like they do now are insane. They do that to Gonzalez on my team, and the dude has to just bunt to the 3rd basemen a few times so they can get back to normal defensive positions. WHen pull lefties are up, and no one in scoring position they must shift 80-90 percent of the time now days.
Posts: 22,907
Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
FringeNC FringeNC is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Casino cash: $63679
What do shifts have to do with your collapse in power numbers, Billy?
Posts: 7,504
FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
MTG#10 MTG#10 is online now
EAD
 
MTG#10's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $1013552
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringeNC View Post
What do shifts have to do with your collapse in power numbers, Billy?
This
Posts: 5,650
MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.MTG#10 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
BWillie BWillie is offline
Bwilliepoker @ twitter
 
BWillie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Harpooning Whales
Casino cash: $13409406
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he has the same bat speed as he always have. There is a way to measure that, and I'm sure the Royals have.
__________________
Posts: 14,292
BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.BWillie would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
KCUnited KCUnited is online now
Armed and Using
 
KCUnited's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Harms Way
Casino cash: $125249
12.5 for a 0 tool player, sounds like a Royals thing to do.
Posts: 12,339
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $259570
If GMDM picks up that 12.5 then he should be fired. Butler has done absolutely nothing to justify that kind of $
__________________
"Finally, anyone who uses the terms, irregardless, a whole nother, or all of a sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp."

Stewie Griffin
Posts: 64,628
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $259570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
12.5 for a 0 tool player, sounds like a Royals thing to do.
You're selling him short. Billy is a tremendous tool.
__________________
"Finally, anyone who uses the terms, irregardless, a whole nother, or all of a sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp."

Stewie Griffin
Posts: 64,628
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
stonedstooge stonedstooge is offline
Arf! Arf! Arf!
 
stonedstooge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North
Casino cash: $417523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he has the same bat speed as he always have. There is a way to measure that, and I'm sure the Royals have.
This is year 2 that he can't catch up with the outside hard stuff that's up in the zone and drive it to right. He is late swinging, missing or fouling them off
__________________
2013 ADOPT A CHIEF
Eric Kush




"Often is a word I seldom use"--JP
Posts: 19,340
stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.stonedstooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.