Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Royal Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM  
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $8850
New Apple Tablet

Cool stuff. On Engadget live right now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...est&refresh=30

Posts: 48,710
dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #1501
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury View Post
No disk drive, I'm not sure if there's a USB...
I can't remember the last time I actually used a cd or DVD in my computer. I didn't even put windows 7 on my computer with a disc. Yes, it has USB. It's a nice netbook, but it's way too expensive for what it is.

Btw, most netbooks don't have a disc drive.
Posts: 17,438
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #1502
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $8480
The Macbook Air is actually a lot more functional that you'd think. Admittedly very overpriced, but performance wise it's just as functional as a Macbook. From a user standpoint, it's quite a nice option for somebody with money to burn wanting an ultra lightweight. The SSD really improves overall performance.

It's a bitch for IT folks to support it compared to other Apple computers though. No Firewire mode, making imaging slow. Installing something like Creative Suite on it can be an all day affair, considering you're loading from USB or Remote Disk. Wireless only makes it impossible to bind to a domain for AD use, and it can't be easily accessed via Apple Remote Desktop while on wireless only.
__________________
Posts: 25,954
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #1503
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Talking Can View Post
AustinChief, your love of a perfect future which never arrives is kind of touching...you're Morpheus against the Apple Matrix...but i've learned a lot from your posts...
Have faith my son...

We won the smartphone battle even though many said it wouldn't happen... we will win the tablet battle .. it's just a matter of time...

I know DOZENS of people who are just waiting on prices to drop... it's all about the $350 barrier!
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #1504
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $8480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Have faith my son...

We won the smartphone battle even though many said it wouldn't happen... we will win the tablet battle .. it's just a matter of time...

I know DOZENS of people who are just waiting on prices to drop... it's all about the $350 barrier!
$350 you say?

You could buy an iPad for that.....

Please let your friends know when you see them next...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MjEzNzc0NTk
__________________
Posts: 25,954
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #1505
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
$350 you say?

You could buy an iPad for that.....

Please let your friends know when you see them next...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MjEzNzc0NTk
The $350 barrier is for NEW tablets and it was based on a market survey... $200-$350 NEW is the sweet spot.

So if you start seeing iPads at Best Buy priced at $350 then you may have something...

Most of the people I know are probably looking for things(NEW) in the $250-$300 range to be honest.
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #1506
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $8480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
The $350 barrier is for NEW tablets and it was based on a market survey... $200-$350 NEW is the sweet spot.

So if you start seeing iPads at Best Buy priced at $350 then you may have something...

Most of the people I know are probably looking for things(NEW) in the $250-$300 range to be honest.
You might just wanna mention it anyway. You know... next time you guys talk...
__________________
Posts: 25,954
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #1507
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
You might just wanna mention it anyway. You know... next time you guys talk...
Shall I also mention to them that an iPad can't surf the web worth a damn due to a lack of Flash?

To illustrate my point.. here is a pic of an iPad surfing the web...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	typicalipad.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	96684  
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #1508
WoodDraw WoodDraw is offline
Veteran
 
WoodDraw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
The $350 barrier is for NEW tablets and it was based on a market survey... $200-$350 NEW is the sweet spot.

So if you start seeing iPads at Best Buy priced at $350 then you may have something...

Most of the people I know are probably looking for things(NEW) in the $250-$300 range to be honest.
-Cell phones- don't cost $250-300 dollars. Any tablet you find in that price range is going to be 1)low end or 2) 2nd generation. Neither of those are bad things. But "Android sold a bunch of shitty tablets at $200 a pop. Take that Apple!" isn't exactly a winning argument.
Posts: 3,785
WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.WoodDraw has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #1509
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDraw View Post
-Cell phones- don't cost $250-300 dollars. Any tablet you find in that price range is going to be 1)low end or 2) 2nd generation. Neither of those are bad things. But "Android sold a bunch of shitty tablets at $200 a pop. Take that Apple!" isn't exactly a winning argument.
#1 cell phones cost anywhere from $0-$600 but who cares because that was NOT part of the survey I referenced.. they were talking about tablets only

#2 RIGHT NOW, yes that price point is low for a "nice" tablet, that won't be the case over time... Hell, The Transformer is a high end tablet and it is expected to be released at $399... we aren't as far off as you may think.

#3 I posted an article which clearly showed why Apple should worry even about "shitty" tablets... because if Android becomes THE system on everyone's phones and a ton of tablet offerings.. it will marginalize Apple into the same niche they hold in the PC market. If I have a family who all have Android phones and a few "shitty" Android tablets for the kids.. I am more likely to buy a high end Android tablet for myself.
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #1510
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Shall I also mention to them that an iPad can't surf the web worth a damn due to a lack of Flash?

To illustrate my point.. here is a pic of an iPad surfing the web...
Gee, it can't access Adobe's Flash site... shocking.

I think your assessment of how well it can surf the web is incredibly unfair. Does it access everything? No, but it can get to most. I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted or needed to surf to a site on my iPad and couldn't do it because of the Flash requirement. It doesn't happen that often.
Posts: 17,438
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #1511
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Have faith my son...

We won the smartphone battle even though many said it wouldn't happen... we will win the tablet battle .. it's just a matter of time...

I know DOZENS of people who are just waiting on prices to drop... it's all about the $350 barrier!
Who is "we?"
Posts: 17,438
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #1512
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Who is "we?"
All of us fighting the Matrix!
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #1513
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Gee, it can't access Adobe's Flash site... shocking.

I think your assessment of how well it can surf the web is incredibly unfair. Does it access everything? No, but it can get to most. I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted or needed to surf to a site on my iPad and couldn't do it because of the Flash requirement. It doesn't happen that often.
As I have said before, that is most likely because you adjust your habits accordingly. I have also mentioned before that I have watched my girlfriend be amazed that my EVO could do so much more than her iPhone... and then again after I bought her an iPad.. how much more my EVO and Win7 tablet could do.

Let's just focus on ONE thing... YouTube. You claim that YouTube is fine on an iPad because you have the app.. that is simply not true, you don't even know it though because the app doesn't show you the MASSIVE # of videos that aren't allowed to be accessed by your device. So when you search on "Beautiful South a little time" you get no results... on my PHONE I get dozens, all of which I can play IF I chose to play via the web and not the youtube app.

So to sum up, you don't even know what you are missing because Apple has dumbed down the internet for it's users.
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #1514
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
As I have said before, that is most likely because you adjust your habits accordingly.
I do not. Every single bookmark on my Win 7 machine is the same on my iPad. Zero issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Let's just focus on ONE thing... YouTube. You claim that YouTube is fine on an iPad because you have the app.. that is simply not true, you don't even know it though because the app doesn't show you the MASSIVE # of videos that aren't allowed to be accessed by your device.
Proof?

Quote:
So when you search on "Beautiful South a little time" you get no results... on my PHONE I get dozens, all of which I can play IF I chose to play via the web and not the youtube app.
Really? No results? That's amazing, considering I just pulled up as many on the app as I did on my computer.

Quote:
So to sum up, you don't even know what you are missing because Apple has dumbed down the internet for it's users.
Right, because I don't EVER surf the web when I'm not on an iPad. Ever. GMAFB.
Posts: 17,438
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #1515
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
I do not. Every single bookmark on my Win 7 machine is the same on my iPad. Zero issues whatsoever.



Proof?



Really? No results? That's amazing, considering I just pulled up as many on the app as I did on my computer.



Right, because I don't EVER surf the web when I'm not on an iPad. Ever. GMAFB.
Then you must be Apple's PERFECT customer.. because my g/f was NOT.. although she is a typical girl and wanted it more for status than any functionality it provided.

As for proof, I will have to find a specific video.. I just picked an obscure song that I know I tried with her iPad back in December and didn't pull up any "real" results.. yeah you had the crappy covers and such but not the actual video.

Is your app pulling up THIS video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttuA1UEUAI0
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZSb5F60R8
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mBubDMmFs

I don't have the g/f anymore so I can't check to see what's current... but I can find the exact setting that is causing the issue if you want.
Posts: 14,963
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.