Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM  
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Breaking Bad

Anyone watching this magnificent show?
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #4681
-King- -King- is offline
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓
 
-King-'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Casino cash: $16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
I took that question to me more rhetorical than literal. If I'm stuck with all story decisions through the penultimate episode then (because I don't want to spend the time to write a whole new ending) I'll go with New Yorker critic Emily Nussbaum's suggestion that Walt should have frozen to death in that car he gets into in the finale; that the episode could play out entirely as it did but as the camera is zooming out of Walt's corpse in the superlab there's a fade to Walt in that car, suggesting that this last redemptive act was just him thinking happy thoughts to himself as he was dying, trapped, unable to do anything about the choices he made.
I can't think of a worse ending than that.
__________________
#BerryStrong
Posts: 40,874
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #4682
Chiefspants Chiefspants is online now
Good as New
 
Chiefspants's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Casino cash: $8097
I feel as though the writers eased up on the intensity for Breaking Bad's finale. In the past, the show had an almost brutal diligence to delivering moral consequences for the actions of every character. Vince Gilligan talked about how he originally planned to have Skyler commit suicide in the penultimate episode of the series. He was eventually convinced that this would be too "dark" of a conclusion, even for Breaking Bad. However, I disagree.

Walt and Skyler both got off relatively easily for the decisions they made throughout the series. Vince's original ending would have provided a direct consequence to both Walt and Skyler and would have cast a harrowing pall over Walt's conclusion. Walt Jr. and Holly could have ended up with Marie (who always hinted that she wanted children), while both Walt and Skyler would have faced the moral consequences that the show had been meticulous on delivering in the past.
__________________

Last edited by Chiefspants; 03-21-2014 at 07:44 PM..
Posts: 5,046
Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #4683
Chiefspants Chiefspants is online now
Good as New
 
Chiefspants's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Casino cash: $8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
I took that question to me more rhetorical than literal. If I'm stuck with all story decisions through the penultimate episode then (because I don't want to spend the time to write a whole new ending) I'll go with New Yorker critic Emily Nussbaum's suggestion that Walt should have frozen to death in that car he gets into in the finale; that the episode could play out entirely as it did but as the camera is zooming out of Walt's corpse in the superlab there's a fade to Walt in that car, suggesting that this last redemptive act was just him thinking happy thoughts to himself as he was dying, trapped, unable to do anything about the choices he made.

As for your second sentence (which I will assume is literal as well), the answer is clearly no, if even just for the ways in which I was very positive towards this show in this thread. A good 90% or more of my posts in this thread were praising the show or defending it from the criticisms of others.
Similar to An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge? Interestingly, the showrunners of Dexter originally envisioned a similar ending for The Bay Harbor Butcher.
__________________
Posts: 5,046
Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #4684
Fire Me Boy! Fire Me Boy! is offline
Cast Iron Jedi
 
Fire Me Boy!'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Casino cash: $13200
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefspants View Post
Similar to An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge? Interestingly, the showrunners of Dexter originally envisioned a similar ending for The Bay Harbor Butcher.
Walt should have become a lumberjack...
Posts: 23,991
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #4685
Chiefspants Chiefspants is online now
Good as New
 
Chiefspants's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Casino cash: $8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
Walt should have become a lumberjack...
Yeah... that previous ending would have been much more fitting for Dexter.
__________________
Posts: 5,046
Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Chiefspants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #4686
Third Eye Third Eye is offline
Spiral Out...
 
Third Eye's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St. Louis
Casino cash: $3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
I can't think of a worse ending than that.
Whereas I can't imagine a more perfect ending than that. Walt, the power-mad megalomaniac, i.e. the one who knocks, dies alone and impotent with all his grand plans laid to waste while hallucinating his greatness. To go even one step further, I wish they could have written in a way for the blue to continue while Walt disappeared into obscurity, hence further drawing the parallel with Ozymandias that they tried to hit us over the head with.
__________________
I get a kick out of being an outsider constantly. It allows me to be creative. I don't like anything in the mainstream and they don't like me.
-Bill Hicks, another dead hero
Posts: 1,895
Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Third Eye has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #4687
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $8931
Another thing: yes, the show was always moving towards sheer pulp (the oft-quoted intention of Vince Gilligan's to turn Mr. Chips into Scarface, etc.). But, like, Tony Montana doesn't get redemption in the end. I still cheer for him because, yes, it IS fun to root for the bad guy. It's ultimately less...powerful(?) if the bad guy practically gets away with it though.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,740
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #4688
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefspants View Post
I feel as though the writers eased up on the intensity for Breaking Bad's finale. In the past, the show had an almost brutal diligence to delivering moral consequences for the actions of every character. Vince Gilligan talked about how he originally planned to have Skyler commit suicide in the penultimate episode of the series. He was eventually convinced that this would be too "dark" of a conclusion, even for Breaking Bad, however, I disagree.

Walt and Skyler both got off relatively easily for the decisions they made throughout the series. Vince's original ending would have provided a direct consequence to both Walt and Skyler and would have cast a harrowing pall over Walt's conclusion. Walt Jr. and Holly could have ended up with Marie (who always hinted that she wanted children), while both Walt and Skyler would have faced the moral consequences that the show had been meticulous on delivering in the past.
Yeah, that's my problem with the ending. Feels to me like the show eased up on its own moral stances right at the last minute.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,740
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #4689
Gonzo Gonzo is offline
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Yukon
Casino cash: $100269
VARSITY
You know, I just started re-watching this show again recently and I just completed the episode, "Better Call Saul" where Badger got busted.

IMHO that is by far the best episode. It gets my vote for the best acting, best moments and quite possibly the funniest moments in the series.

There's badger, pointing out the flower van and the other construction van saying that they were obviously cops. He does the deal anyway and sure as shit, those two vans pull up.

Then the scene where Walt and Jessie have Saul by the open grave.
Just ****ing perfect acting.
__________________
Become a cool kid. Donate to C.P. by clicking here.
Posts: 18,769
Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #4690
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $11885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
I would not have his money going to his family. That's what he wanted all along and he does not deserve to get what he wanted. Basically, I wish the show was more decisive about its morals. Instead it tries to have its cake & eat it too with respect to showing Walt to be a terrible person but also give him the most redemption allowable by the story corners they wrote themselves into.
I suppose and I read your other post about him dying in the car but I don't like that idea.

Also I don't know if it has been discussed here or not but do we know for a fact Walt is actually dead? I mean he got a gut shot which isn't fatal and he falls down and a minute later the police show up. Just think 5 years from now there could a Breaking Bad movie because all the main characters could be alive.
Posts: 49,054
dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #4691
Cmd'r&Chief Cmd'r&Chief is online now
I believe
 
Cmd'r&Chief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Casino cash: $8205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
I suppose and I read your other post about him dying in the car but I don't like that idea.

Also I don't know if it has been discussed here or not but do we know for a fact Walt is actually dead? I mean he got a gut shot which isn't fatal and he falls down and a minute later the police show up. Just think 5 years from now there could a Breaking Bad movie because all the main characters could be alive.
I love you
__________________
Posts: 800
Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.Cmd'r&Chief is not part of the Right 53.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #4692
Gonzo Gonzo is offline
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Yukon
Casino cash: $100269
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
I suppose and I read your other post about him dying in the car but I don't like that idea.

Also I don't know if it has been discussed here or not but do we know for a fact Walt is actually dead? I mean he got a gut shot which isn't fatal and he falls down and a minute later the police show up. Just think 5 years from now there could a Breaking Bad movie because all the main characters could be alive.
I think this was addressed somewhere by the creator of the show. Not sure though.
__________________
Become a cool kid. Donate to C.P. by clicking here.
Posts: 18,769
Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #4693
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
I suppose and I read your other post about him dying in the car but I don't like that idea.

Also I don't know if it has been discussed here or not but do we know for a fact Walt is actually dead? I mean he got a gut shot which isn't fatal and he falls down and a minute later the police show up. Just think 5 years from now there could a Breaking Bad movie because all the main characters could be alive.
Here's a picture of the last page of the script for the finale:


This confirms two things: 1. Yes, Vince Gilligan did write Walt's death into the script. 2. the "He Got Away" also shows a particular warmth that Gilligan felt for Walt, intending rhetorically that he did want to give Walt some redemption.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,740
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #4694
'Hamas' Jenkins 'Hamas' Jenkins is offline
The Beast
 
'Hamas' Jenkins's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Casino cash: $19907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Here's a picture of the last page of the script for the finale:


This confirms two things: . 2. the "He Got Away" also shows a particular warmth that Gilligan felt for Walt, intending rhetorically that he did want to give Walt some redemption.
That is not definitive.
Posts: 59,881
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #4695
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
That is not definitive.
About Walt's death? You'd have to be a junior English major reaching to meet a word count to find sufficient ambiguity in "final expression" and "lifeless." There's no other cogent reading of "He got away" that isn't "the cops can't administer justice to Walt because he's dead."
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,740
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.