Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM  
DaFace DaFace is offline
Kind of a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26984
People who overestimate their political knowledge tend to believe conspiracy theories

Posting just because I'll be amused to watch the discussion. Not that there's anyone here this would apply to.

http://www.psypost.org/2018/06/peopl...theories-51447

People who overestimate their political knowledge are more likely to believe conspiracy theories
By ERIC W. DOLAN June 11, 2018

People who overestimate their understanding of political issues are more likely to believe conspiracy theories, according to new research that appears in the European Journal for Social Psychology.

“Conspiracy theories about government actors and institutions are widespread across the political ideological spectrum,” remarked study author Joseph A. Vitriol, a postdoctoral research associate at Lehigh University. “These beliefs attribute outsized influence to hidden actors or clandestine groups who are perceived as the root cause of an important world event, action, or outcome.”

“Because conspiracy beliefs often preserve discredited assumptions or serve as a basis for dismissing information that challenges one’s worldview, they are often difficult to correct (as is true for many political misperceptions) and can therefore undermine the ability for citizens to effectively and ethically engage in the political process.”

“Indeed, these beliefs are not constrained to the politically disengaged or the uninformed. Instead, conspiracy theories are commonly endorsed and propagated by actors at the highest levels of political power and, as a result, are consequential for public policy,” Vitriol said.

“In short, conspiracy beliefs are important influences on citizens’ political judgment and behavior. This can undermine the ability of elected officials to address problems in society with evidence-based public policy and governance. By investigating the psychological underpinning of conspiracy beliefs, we are better able to understand how these beliefs form and spread. We are also better able to identify strategies for informing or educating the public and combating the influence of false and fabricated information on political psychology and behavior.”

(more at the link)
Posts: 37,097
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #91
LiveSteam LiveSteam is offline
The Constitutional Choo choo
 
LiveSteam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: homeof43conferencetitles
Casino cash: $26862
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I get a kick out of the people that think the governments of the world are covering up UFO's and alien contacts. I certainly think there are Aliens in our universe, but it is very doubtful we have evidence of their existence on this planet. Think about it. If they have made contact with us, that means that ALL of the countries of the world have agreed to collude with each other to cover this issue up. They'll hate each other, bicker about everything else. But Aliens? Nah. We are one on that issue.

USA and Russia cold war in the 80s. We're going to Nuke each other! But we'll agree on the aliens.

Christian nations and Muslim Nations. We wish to wipe each other off the face of the Earth! But yeah, lets agree to cover up Aliens together.
Take me to your whore mother.
NANU NANU
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandhater View Post
I have an issue with Livesteam.
Posts: 31,658
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #92
eDave eDave is online now
Lost
 
eDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $72574
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I get a kick out of the people that think the governments of the world are covering up UFO's and alien contacts. I certainly think there are Aliens in our universe, but it is very doubtful we have evidence of their existence on this planet. Think about it. If they have made contact with us, that means that ALL of the countries of the world have agreed to collude with each other to cover this issue up. They'll hate each other, bicker about everything else. But Aliens? Nah. We are one on that issue.

USA and Russia cold war in the 80s. We're going to Nuke each other! But we'll agree on the aliens.

Christian nations and Muslim Nations. We wish to wipe each other off the face of the Earth! But yeah, lets agree to cover up Aliens together.
UFO's are real. I've seen it with my own eyes and nobody can convince me that I saw something different.
__________________
**** you
Posts: 30,411
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 AM   #93
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
I knew you'd be along shortly to defend your guy. You know where I stand on this. Cheney pushed the lies and I still think he's a war criminal for it. And he did lean on intel to make the policy fit the intel per people that were there and left.
No
__________________


“Boy, you all want power. God, I hope you never get it.” - Lindsay Graham
Posts: 96,448
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #94
loochy loochy is offline
DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!
 
loochy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TECKSIS
Casino cash: $30852
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
UFO's are real. I've seen it with my own eyes and nobody can convince me that I saw something different.
Of course....because you saw an OBJECT that was UNIDENTIFIED and appeared to be FLYING.

Nobody is denying the existence of things flying in the sky that you have not yet identified.

The problem comes in when you automatically assume that the FLYING OBJECT that you can't IDENTIFY is aliens.

I don't know! Therefore aliens.
Posts: 29,631
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #95
HonestChieffan HonestChieffan is offline
Seeking the Truth daily
 
HonestChieffan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the Country in MO
Casino cash: $34409
The crazy cannot be contained. Whats more, the crazy has no self recognition of their own crazy.
__________________
Frazod to KC Nitwit..."Hey, I saw a picture of some dumpy bitch with a horrible ****tarded giant back tattoo and couldn't help but think of you." Simple, Pure, Perfect. 7/31/2013

Dave Lane: "I have donated more money to people in my life as an atheist that most churches ever will."

Come home to Jesus Dave. Come home.
Posts: 43,017
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #96
loochy loochy is offline
DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!
 
loochy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TECKSIS
Casino cash: $30852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
The crazy cannot be contained. Whats more, the crazy has no self recognition of their own crazy.
It's very Dunning-Krugery.
Posts: 29,631
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #97
BigRichard BigRichard is offline
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan
 
BigRichard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Casino cash: $19646
This thread is gold Jerry! Gold!
__________________
"You know, they lay down with their ugly wives in front of their ugly children and just look at their loser lives and then they look at me and say, "I CAN'T PROCESS IT!" Well, no, and you never will. Stop trying. Just sit back and enjoy the show .... You know?"

Carlos Irwin Estevez
Posts: 6,045
BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.BigRichard is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #98
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Bucs, Pats, Noles
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $70063
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post
Anything curbing your personal liberty that you or anyone else posting on this board is experiencing isn't comparable in the least to slavery.
In your opinion. Even if it's a strawman argument to what I said. The old slavery canard by a leftist to deflect off reductions in our own liberties.


Quote:
You posted that and apparently own it. Please take some time to consider what would lead you to making such an absurd, disproportionate, and offensive comparison.
Stop lecturing and chiding as if you're my parents. Geesh!

Your paraphrase of what I wrote twists my meaning to suit your own antagonism. But then, you've been doing that most of the night.
__________________

H a l l o w e d - S t a r r y - N i g h t

Last edited by BucEyedPea; 06-13-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Posts: 103,857
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #99
Marcellus Marcellus is offline
Negro Diablo
 
Marcellus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Casino cash: $32762
So isn't this basically saying that every person in this forum believes in conspiracy theories?
Posts: 39,376
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #100
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Bucs, Pats, Noles
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $70063
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I get a kick out of the people that think the governments of the world are covering up UFO's and alien contacts. I certainly think there are Aliens in our universe, but it is very doubtful we have evidence of their existence on this planet. Think about it. If they have made contact with us, that means that ALL of the countries of the world have agreed to collude with each other to cover this issue up. They'll hate each other, bicker about everything else. But Aliens? Nah. We are one on that issue.

USA and Russia cold war in the 80s. We're going to Nuke each other! But we'll agree on the aliens.

Christian nations and Muslim Nations. We wish to wipe each other off the face of the Earth! But yeah, lets agree to cover up Aliens together.
On second thought, why is something like this a conspiracy?

Where is the crime and what is harmful about this? If anything perhaps people in govt don't want a mass panic or hysteria breaking out among the people. Afterall, there was a nationwide panic just from Orson Well's War of the Worlds broadcast.

This sounds more like it falls under a "cover-up." It contains secrecy but not the element of crime. At least as stated here.
__________________

H a l l o w e d - S t a r r y - N i g h t

Last edited by BucEyedPea; 06-13-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Posts: 103,857
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #101
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Bucs, Pats, Noles
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $70063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
So isn't this basically saying that every person in this forum believes in conspiracy theories?
I am making that case. Or at least a large majority believe in some or at least one—including conspiracy deniers. It's like the charge of "racism." It has no meaning anymore, because it's so casually tossed out. Not all cover-ups are conspiracies even.
__________________

H a l l o w e d - S t a r r y - N i g h t
Posts: 103,857
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #102
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Bucs, Pats, Noles
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $70063
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
The crazy cannot be contained. Whats more, the crazy has no self recognition of their own crazy.
You know what they say about someone who over accuses others of "crazy" repeatedly for their main argument? It means they're the ones who are really the "crazy."

You remind me of those family values politicians who rail against gays who turn out to be gay themselves. So keep confirming it.
__________________

H a l l o w e d - S t a r r y - N i g h t
Posts: 103,857
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #103
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Bucs, Pats, Noles
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $70063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
No, it's actually not. That's the funny part. The definition of a conspiracy is an explanation of an event that defies logic. It's an explanation that contributes a hypothesis that contradicts the prevailing understanding of facts. Most often contributed the imagined results to the prevailing government.
I think this is an excellent explanation except for the last line. I don't know for a fact that it "most often" applies to a "prevailing govt." Those are just the ones in the political realm so they get a lot more coverage. No one really cares to talk about the multitude of other conspiracies committed by lower level or less well-known criminals. 'Er well some might, since movies get made about them too.
__________________

H a l l o w e d - S t a r r y - N i g h t
Posts: 103,857
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #104
banecat banecat is offline
Warped Nihilist
 
banecat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: WI, MO, WA, TX, now KS
Casino cash: $500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
This thread is gold Jerry! Gold!
What's the deal with Ovaltine?
Posts: 3,176
banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #105
banecat banecat is offline
Warped Nihilist
 
banecat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: WI, MO, WA, TX, now KS
Casino cash: $500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
In your opinion. Even if it's a strawman argument to what I said. The old slavery canard by a leftist to deflect off reductions in our own liberties.


Stop lecturing and chiding as if you're my parents. Geesh!

Your paraphrase of what I wrote twists my meaning to suit your own antagonism. But then, you've been doing that most of the night.
She has somewhat a point about slavery being used to push the leftist agenda. I've only heard it used as an argument against state's rights before. But that was before Trump was in office. I'll have to start asking what they think of them now
Posts: 3,176
banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.banecat would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.