Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Lonewolf Ed Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM  
vailpass vailpass is offline
Lime In The Coconut
 
vailpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Grassley: Another Supreme Court vacancy likely this summer

The Dem's may realize they should have confirmed Gorsuch. Mitch McConnell will go down in history as a mastermind.

Sen. Chuck Grassley is predicting that President Trump will get to nominate a second justice to the Supreme Court as early as this summer.

The Iowa Republican, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said that there is a "rumored" upcoming retirement but declined to say which justice he expects to step down.

"I would expect a resignation this summer," Grassley said during Q-and-A, according to the Muscatine Journal.

Grassley added that Trump's next Supreme Court nominee would likely come off a list of roughly two dozen names he announced before taking over the White House.

Trump could be able to make multiple nominations, allowing him to shape the direction of the court for decades. As chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Grassley would be responsible for shepherding the nomination through the Senate.

Two justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy, are in their 80s, and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78.

The administration, according to The New York Times, is already looking at potential successors if Kennedy, the court's perennial swing vote, were to retire.

Grassley isn't the first Republican to signal that he thinks a second justice will retire in the new future.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who is also on the Judiciary Committee, has repeatedly predicted that he thinks Trump will get to make another nomination as soon as this summer.

"I think we're likely to see another vacancy potentially as soon as this summer. I think we'll see another vacancy either this summer or next summer," Cruz told the Chris Saucedo Show last week.

Grassley's comments come after Republicans changed the rules so they could confirm Neil Gorsuch, President Trump's Supreme Court nominee, to fill the vacancy created by Antonin Scalia's death.

The rule change allows future Supreme Court nominees to clear the Senate with only a simple majority.

Though Democrats will still be able to drag out a nomination by filibustering, Republicans will only need 51—instead of 60 votes—to break the stonewalling.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...ly-this-summer
Posts: 44,750
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #61
GloucesterChief GloucesterChief is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $26554
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
A black female Libetarian SCOTUS nominee. Sounds probable.
That is why I said hoping. I am sure that Trump will nominate someone who is pretty horrible on at least one of the basic rights in the Bill of Rights. I will go with the good old standard of being horrible on the 4th. Everyone else on the court, with the exception of Sotomayor, is.
Posts: 7,063
GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #62
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
No, I'm talking about your claim that we need balance and comity in the SCOTUS.

Balance has been the problem for decades. It's precisely the opposite of what is needed.
Oh, I am saying we need comity in the selection process and overall between democrats and republicans for negotiations. And yes I am saying we need balance in the court to make good decisions with regards to interpreting the Constitution. As far as needing balance in court, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Without balance, that leads to civil war because as I said, if you continually neglect the other side of an argument, the other side will stop negotiating with you leaving them no other option other than to declare war. That's a worse case scenario, but that's what we're trying to manage with a contract like the Constitution (aka compromise).

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 04-20-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #63
vailpass vailpass is offline
Lime In The Coconut
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
That is why I said hoping. I am sure that Trump will nominate someone who is pretty horrible on at least one of the basic rights in the Bill of Rights. I will go with the good old standard of being horrible on the 4th. Everyone else on the court, with the exception of Sotomayor, is.
Fair enough. Are you saying you like sotomayor as a sc justice.?
__________________
Seeking girls of reduced social responsibility.
Posts: 44,750
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #64
GloucesterChief GloucesterChief is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $26554
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
Fair enough. Are you saying you like sotomayor as a sc justice.?
No, she is like an idiot savant. Great on the 4th, absolutely horrible on almost everything else.
Posts: 7,063
GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.GloucesterChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #65
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
No, she is like an idiot savant. Great on the 4th, absolutely horrible on almost everything else.
Sure, those complications should be expected. That's why the court has evolved to have more than one Justice.
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #66
vailpass vailpass is offline
Lime In The Coconut
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
No, she is like an idiot savant. Great on the 4th, absolutely horrible on almost everything else.
Thanks for clarifying. She is without a doubt the worst justice to ever sit the chair.
__________________
Seeking girls of reduced social responsibility.
Posts: 44,750
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #67
Just Passin' By Just Passin' By is offline
MVP
 
Just Passin' By's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Casino cash: $30624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Oh, I am saying we need comity in the selection process and overall between democrats and republicans for negotiations.
That's clearly an erroneous position.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
And yes I am saying we need balance in the court to make good decisions with regards to interpreting the Constitution.
That's also clearly an erroneous position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
As far as needing balance in court, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Without balance, that leads to civil war because as I said, if you continually neglect the other side of an argument, the other side will stop negotiating with you leaving them no other option other than to declare war. That's a worse case scenario, but that's what we're trying to manage with a contract like the Constitution (aka compromise).
There's nothing really to disagree about. There is no balance requirement in Constitutional interpretation. There is no need for balance in Constitutional interpretation. In fact, almost all of this country's major internal problems can be laid at the feet of fuzzy Constitutional wordings and determinations.
Posts: 18,536
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #68
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
That's clearly an erroneous position.

Why?




That's also clearly an erroneous position.

Why?

There's nothing really to disagree about. There is no balance requirement in Constitutional interpretation. There is no need for balance in Constitutional interpretation. In fact, almost all of this country's major internal problems can be laid at the feet of fuzzy Constitutional wordings and determinations.
I guess you could say that that there is no requirement in the Constitution for a balanced court, I am not arguing that there is. I am arguing that balance in the court and considering alternative points of view is an academically supported method for good decision-making and problem-solving (a point that you have yet to refute).

" In fact, almost all of this country's major internal problems can be laid at the feet of fuzzy Constitutional wordings and determinations."

What you describe there is the inherent nature of interpreting language (specifically the language of laws), and they very reason we have a judicial branch in our government's organizational design. Again, our problems and disagreements are not always black and white, therefore there exists a need for interpretation. Further, our government's contract is designed to grow with the changing attitudes of society.
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #69
Pueblo Chieftan Pueblo Chieftan is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pueblo,CO
Casino cash: $500
99% of the masses of humanity in the world are the dumbest imbeciles ever allowed to roam the planet. How many of the masses could possibly create a World Bank and get all the people in the word to use ONLY the currency it manufactures? None! That's what I thought. Neither can any Bankster. So the mafias that create the banks we use are just a bit smarter than the average peon turds that float just beneath the scum of the Earth. Unless you can stand up and make the World do what you tell it to do -- shut the **** up and do what you're told. You ****ing idiots can't control the tax system, can't make money, can't even feed yourselves or wipe your asses without taken to raise by the very system that has given birth to you. There are NO good men or women on the Planet Earth. Everything that comes from your mouth comes from your brain for your own personal bullshit reasons. There is no love in the world without expectations of repayment. You people are doting imbeciles.The majority of you can't fathom that you are invisible conscious bodies living in avatar bodies made for the manufacture of what is called the Spirit Person which can be seen. What a bunch of dumbasses! You are surely beasts for the harvest!
Posts: 676
Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #70
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo Chieftan View Post
99% of the masses of humanity in the world are the dumbest imbeciles ever allowed to roam the planet. How many of the masses could possibly create a World Bank and get all the people in the word to use ONLY the currency it manufactures? None! That's what I thought. Neither can any Bankster. So the mafias that create the banks we use are just a bit smarter than the average peon turds that float just beneath the scum of the Earth. Unless you can stand up and make the World do what you tell it to do -- shut the **** up and do what you're told. You ****ing idiots can't control the tax system, can't make money, can't even feed yourselves or wipe your asses without taken to raise by the very system that has given birth to you. There are NO good men or women on the Planet Earth. Everything that comes from your mouth comes from your brain for your own personal bullshit reasons. There is no love in the world without expectations of repayment. You people are doting imbeciles.The majority of you can't fathom that you are invisible conscious bodies living in avatar bodies made for the manufacture of what is called the Spirit Person which can be seen. What a bunch of dumbasses! You are surely beasts for the harvest!
Somebody needs to get some hope out of the box. (rep for anyone who gets the reference)
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #71
Just Passin' By Just Passin' By is offline
MVP
 
Just Passin' By's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Casino cash: $30624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Oh, I am saying we need comity in the selection process and overall between democrats and republicans for negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
That's clearly an erroneous position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Why?
Because history's already demonstrated it to be so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
And yes I am saying we need balance in the court to make good decisions with regards to interpreting the Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
That's also clearly an erroneous position.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Why?
Again, because history's already demonstrated it to be so.

You are confusing something that would be your personal choice, with something that is actually a need.
Posts: 18,536
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #72
Just Passin' By Just Passin' By is offline
MVP
 
Just Passin' By's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Casino cash: $30624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
" In fact, almost all of this country's major internal problems can be laid at the feet of fuzzy Constitutional wordings and determinations."

What you describe there is the inherent nature of interpreting language (specifically the language of laws), and they very reason we have a judicial branch in our government's organizational design. Again, our problems and disagreements are not always black and white, therefore there exists a need for interpretation. Further, our government's contract is designed to grow with the changing attitudes of society.
No, that's not it.

What I describe is the problem with going against the inherent nature of interpreting language in favor of a "**** it, let's go half way" approach such as you're recommending.

There is no negotiating between

Interpret the document as it was written and intended to mean at the time it was written

and

Interpret the document in light of the changes of the times.

The first does not allow for compromise with the second. The best you can hope for is occasional intersections, and that's about the nature of the society's evolution, not judicial balance.
Posts: 18,536
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #73
Pueblo Chieftan Pueblo Chieftan is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pueblo,CO
Casino cash: $500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Somebody needs to get some hope out of the box. (rep for anyone who gets the reference)
You will be more persuasive if you provide references, but you won't be, because for the most part, you can't.
Posts: 676
Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Pueblo Chieftan < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #74
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
Because history's already demonstrated it to be so.

How?



Again, because history's already demonstrated it to be so.

How?

You are confusing something that would be your personal choice, with something that is actually a need.
Of course it's my opinion, and apparently in opposition to yours. Now it sounds to me that you are saying compromise is not something we need. If that is your opinion, then why have a constitution at all? It sounds like you are advocating a dictatorship because you think one side of an argument should not have a voice. Why be opposed to the inclusion of ideas or perspectives when assessing constitutional questions? If your argument is that Justices, 9 of them, do not deliberate and debate each other, or haven't had fairness experience in their careers, I think that opinion might be an error.
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #75
Garcia Bronco Garcia Bronco is offline
No Keys, No Problem
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver
Casino cash: $13236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo Chieftan View Post
You will be more persuasive if you provide references, but you won't be, because for the most part, you can't.
We'll if you are going to spoil it, I was referring to the myth of Pandora's Box. Meaning that you could benefit from some hope.
Posts: 24,894
Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Garcia Bronco is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Arlington Texas Process Servers
Arlington Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.