Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 AM  
Lex Luthor Lex Luthor is offline
Liberal Genius
 
Lex Luthor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Casino cash: $22875
Trump's new Space Force may not be such a bad idea

Believe it or not, I actually like Trump's plan for a new Space Force.

Quote:
Neil deGrasse Tyson doesn't think you should mock Trump's new Space Force

In remarks delivered at the Pentagon on Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence announced plans for how the Department of Defense will approach space operations by 2020 — a newly created, sixth branch of the U.S. armed forces called the “Space Force.” This followed a space policy directive that President Donald Trump signed during a National Space Council meeting this past June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGap9d-MOtA

A Space Force has been met with a bipartisan endorsement from the chairman and ranking member of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, possible opposition from members of Trump’s own Cabinet, and outright hostility from certain members of the left:




Although a segment of the scientific community has been vocally opposed to a Space Force, the sentiment is not universal. Neil deGrasse Tyson, host of Cosmos and an outspoken science advocate, explained to Yahoo Entertainment why the idea of a Space Force shouldn’t immediately be mocked. (Watch above.)

‘A Space Force is not a crazy idea…’

“Just because an idea came out of Trump’s mouth does not have to mean it’s crazy,” Tyson cautioned. “A Space Force is an idea that’s been around, actually, for several decades as our space assets have grown. And the assets we, as Americans, have in space is almost incalculable at this point. Not so much the value of the satellites themselves but the value of the commerce that they enable.

“Look at GPS, for example,” he continued. “Hundreds of billions of dollars of industry relies on this now. So as any good military, wisely constructed military would have as its mission, it is to protect your assets. A Space Force is not a crazy idea with regard to that. What would they do? They would protect us from asteroids that might want to render us extinct. I can guarantee you if the dinosaurs had a Space Force, they’d still be here today.”

‘We’re not shaping a message just to fit what may be some prevailing political winds…’
In 2014, Tyson relaunched Cosmos , the science series originated by Carl Sagan, to much acclaim. The series earned four Emmys and a Peabody Award. A second season, subtitled Possible Worlds, will air in 2019.

Since the first season began while President Barack Obama was still in office, we asked Tyson if the show will change in any way to reflect the new political atmosphere.

“Scientific truths are true whether or not you believe in them,” Tyson answered. “If you present the world and the universe as it is, as informed by the methods and tools of science, it may be received differently between one administration or one generation and the next, but we’re not shaping a message just to fit what may be some prevailing political winds. It is the political winds that will react in whatever way they feel they must to the message of urgency about how knowledge and understanding of how the world works and what our place is in the world can be brought to bear on making a better world.”

‘However divided it feels that is, it’s not nearly divided as it was twice in one century’

Tyson prefers looking at the big picture about science and society. “We’re living longer,” he said. “We understand health better. Whether you act on that is something else. You don’t have major institutions endorsing slavery anymore. There’s a huge dialogue regarding the rights and liberties of women and underrepresented people of the world. There’s an era where that simply wasn’t the case. I hate to say this as though it’s some compliment to give ourselves, but we haven’t had a world war in 70 years. However divided it feels that is, it’s not nearly divided as it was twice in one century within 40 years of one another.

“So while we still have a long way to go, I devote some of my energy reflecting on how bad things once were. It’s easy to forget, the things that we take for granted, the advances that we’ve made in our understanding of what it is to treat one another, to be healthy, what to eat, what not to eat. And so, yeah, I think we’re better. That’s my long answer.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...224610748.html
Posts: 12,934
Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lex Luthor is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Pogue Pogue is online now
Multitasking
 
Pogue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2015
Casino cash: $1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post
Now that’s funny.
Posts: 4,635
Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Bring it on Ahab!
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $15252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
I'm a big fan of the Joe Rogan Podcast he has some really interesting people on there.

A few months ago I listened to the podcast with physicist Howard Bloom who discusses how bad we were ****ing up letting Russia and China get way ahead of us on the space front.

Like I have mentioned several times before we are paying Russia $80M per astronaut to get them to the Space Station. That's stupid.

Whether its NASA or Space Force or whatever we are falling behind.
Well, we keep cutting NASA funding and I've seen people on here talk about how 'pointless' it is.

It's funny... conservatives spent years saying NASA is wasting money (even though they're the most cost efficient program our government has) but now that Trump wants a space force, we need to invest more money!

Meanwhile the 'terrible' idea of a space force is now a better idea that it's been endorsed by Neil Degrasse Tyson, who seems to view himself as some combination of Carl Sagan and Yoda.

We pass through a massive meteor belt twice a year. Interactions with that belt have cause NUMEROUS mass extinctions from collisions with comets, the most recent major event was about 12,000 years ago.

Think about this: The Tunguska event in Russia back in 1908 flattened 2,000 Km of forest. Just laid them down like dominos... and that puppy was what? 100 meters? Not only that, it exploded in the air which minimized the damage.

We know the effects of, say, a 3 mile meteor smashing, and if it happened over the US or any major population center it would kill hundreds of millions.

I think in the future it would be a pretty good idea to know how to deal with it, since it's literally inevitable that it will happen again.
Posts: 9,603
WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #18
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675° N 106.475° W
Casino cash: $0
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Well, we keep cutting NASA funding and I've seen people on here talk about how 'pointless' it is.

It's funny... conservatives spent years saying NASA is wasting money (even though they're the most cost efficient program our government has) but now that Trump wants a space force, we need to invest more money!

Meanwhile the 'terrible' idea of a space force is now a better idea that it's been endorsed by Neil Degrasse Tyson, who seems to view himself as some combination of Carl Sagan and Yoda.

We pass through a massive meteor belt twice a year. Interactions with that belt have cause NUMEROUS mass extinctions from collisions with comets, the most recent major event was about 12,000 years ago.

Think about this: The Tunguska event in Russia back in 1908 flattened 2,000 Km of forest. Just laid them down like dominos... and that puppy was what? 100 meters? Not only that, it exploded in the air which minimized the damage.

We know the effects of, say, a 3 mile meteor smashing, and if it happened over the US or any major population center it would kill hundreds of millions.

I think in the future it would be a pretty good idea to know how to deal with it, since it's literally inevitable that it will happen again.
NASA has been working on finding all the NEOs since 1998, I think. They've found almost all of them, at least the ones that could cause extinction.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 106,489
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
Marcellus Marcellus is offline
Save Chief's Planet
 
Marcellus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In denial.
Casino cash: $32762
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy View Post
Too much other shit needs to be taken care of first.
Like what?
Posts: 38,119
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
The Pest The Pest is offline
The future is now.
 
The Pest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Casino cash: $54114



Maybe, just maybe, we should stop letting people freely flow into our country illegally so we can actually take care of the actual ****ing citizens.
__________________
Posts: 64,799
The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #21
Marcellus Marcellus is offline
Save Chief's Planet
 
Marcellus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In denial.
Casino cash: $32762
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pest View Post



Maybe, just maybe, we should stop letting people freely flow into our country illegally so we can actually take care of the actual ****ing citizens.
Ding ding ding.
Posts: 38,119
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
Pogue Pogue is online now
Multitasking
 
Pogue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2015
Casino cash: $1295


Would you like to know more?
Posts: 4,635
Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Pogue Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #23
Baby Lee Baby Lee is online now
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $58698
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy View Post
Too much other shit needs to be taken care of first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Well, we keep cutting NASA funding and I've seen people on here talk about how 'pointless' it is.

It's funny... conservatives spent years saying NASA is wasting money (even though they're the most cost efficient program our government has) but now that Trump wants a space force, we need to invest more money!


I've never opposed infrastructure investment or investment in basic science. What I have been vocal about is vigilance against fraud and waste. I have also opposed investment in wasteful solutions, such as throwing money at green energy solutions that are not ready to be competitive simply because they are morally comfortable.

OTOH, you have ol' stumpps explicitly making the 'pointless' argument. Yet you immediately try to argue that the argument is exclusively a failing of conservatives.
__________________
I think there's nothing cooler than being a lone wolf . . . except at wolf picnics when you don't have a partner for the wolf wheelbarrow race.
Posts: 71,664
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Bring it on Ahab!
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $15252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post


I've never opposed infrastructure investment or investment in basic science. What I have been vocal about is vigilance against fraud and waste. I have also opposed investment in wasteful solutions, such as throwing money at green energy solutions that are not ready to be competitive simply because they are morally comfortable.

OTOH, you have ol' stumpps explicitly making the 'pointless' argument. Yet you immediately try to argue that the argument is exclusively a failing of conservatives.
I didn't say anything was exclusive to anything. I was making a point about general trends and the predictable lack of conviction partisans have.

Don't just start interpreting things the way you want in order to bolster your argument. The majority of complaints and calls for abolishment and investment reduction regarding NASA do, in fact, come mostly from conservatives.

You're basically just reframing the notoriously and consistently stupid 'not all' argument. I'm ****ing TIRED of explaining to people why generalizations are used, and when an accurate generalization is used, it's not a universal claim. It's recognition of a pattern within a group, not an all encompassing stereotype. I don't want to hear not all. It has absolutely no value as an argument.

You're bordering on loneiguana level of strawmanning here Baby.
Posts: 9,603
WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #25
Just Passin' By Just Passin' By is offline
In Search of a Life
 
Just Passin' By's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Casino cash: $30624
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Don't just start interpreting things the way you want in order to bolster your argument. The majority of complaints and calls for abolishment and investment reduction regarding NASA do, in fact, come mostly from conservatives. .
Holy shit! How do you not see the problem with those two sentences?
Posts: 24,960
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #26
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Bring it on Ahab!
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $15252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
Holy shit! How do you not see the problem with those two sentences?
Explain it.

If you say "not me', you're again just making an asinine 'not all' argument.

If YOU or BABY LEE never called for a reduction in NASA's budget, then fine. That has NOTHING to do with what I'm saying.

That doesn't change anything about which side of the isle attacks NASA more frequently.

Is it also bad to say Conservatives oppose accepted climate science? Can I only speak in universal terms? Do numbers and patterns not matter? Oh, sure.. democrats are pro choice... but what... some of them are NOT pro choice, so now where the **** are we?

This is pedantic as **** guys.
Posts: 9,603
WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhiteWhale has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #27
listopencil listopencil is offline
Akhilandeswari
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $37580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
Do we currently have the technology to shoot satellites down?

Yes.
Posts: 44,399
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
Bowser Bowser is offline
Eff an A, Cotton
 
Bowser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: KC North
Casino cash: $213025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue View Post


Would you like to know more?

via GIPHY

Posts: 70,147
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #29
Baby Lee Baby Lee is online now
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $58698
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
I didn't say anything was exclusive to anything. I was making a point about general trends and the predictable lack of conviction partisans have.

Don't just start interpreting things the way you want in order to bolster your argument. The majority of complaints and calls for abolishment and investment reduction regarding NASA do, in fact, come mostly from conservatives.

You're basically just reframing the notoriously and consistently stupid 'not all' argument. I'm ****ing TIRED of explaining to people why generalizations are used, and when an accurate generalization is used, it's not a universal claim. It's recognition of a pattern within a group, not an all encompassing stereotype. I don't want to hear not all. It has absolutely no value as an argument.

You're bordering on loneiguana level of strawmanning here Baby.
Fine, then I reject your premise that NASA funding has waned at all as a primary function of conservative targeting for waste. Funding has waned due to a bipartisan and society-wide loss of interest and the sanguine assumption 'well, whatever they need I assume they're getting and it's enough.'

That may or may not be true. The salient point above and beyond accuracy is that we haven't paid much attention.

You're tired of 'not all xx' arguments, and I'm tired of blase assumption of traditional narratives explaining every situation, whether or not it explains or not, and whether you've investigated whether it explains it.
__________________
I think there's nothing cooler than being a lone wolf . . . except at wolf picnics when you don't have a partner for the wolf wheelbarrow race.
Posts: 71,664
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
Bob Dole Bob Dole is offline
King Shit of **** Mountain
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Casino cash: $34597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Like what?
Free everything.
Posts: 40,396
Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.