Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM  
Buehler445 Buehler445 is offline
Supporter
 
Buehler445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scott City KS
Casino cash: $44834
Tell me about mesh network systems these days.

The google WiFi system has been out awhile and I know there are some other systems out there.

I’m thinking I need to head that direction. I my house has a pretty big footprint and my router is on one end of the house. Accordingly getting access on the other end of the house is kind of sketchy.

So do these systems work well? Easy to set up? What brands work better than others?

The last point is I have ATT DSL and the WiFi is built into the modem. It’s pretty much a pain in the ass. Does anyone know if I can use these systems with ATT DSL?
Posts: 38,052
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
vailpass vailpass is offline
Are U Ready For Some Football
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Probably your best solution right there.
ONe nice thing about it is that you can hardwire off the repeater if you want. I have the repeater in the game room where my three boys do their PC and console gaming and NetFlix YouTube watching. For whatever reason the wifi antenna in the PS4s is for shit so they hardwire them. Same if they want to do a faster DL onto PC.
__________________
These violent delights have violent ends.
Posts: 53,940
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
Single Malt CP, Aged 18 Years
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
ONe nice thing about it is that you can hardwire off the repeater if you want. I have the repeater in the game room where my three boys do their PC and console gaming and NetFlix YouTube watching. For whatever reason the wifi antenna in the PS4s is for shit so they hardwire them. Same if they want to do a faster DL onto PC.
Yeah, using an old router re-purposed as a standalone AP gives you (usually) 4 ports of switched ethernet AND additional wireless coverage. You CAN do this with wireless backhaul but wired backhaul is easier (other than physically pulling the cable), faster, and more stable.
Posts: 65,742
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #18
vailpass vailpass is offline
Are U Ready For Some Football
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Yeah, using an old router re-purposed as a standalone AP gives you (usually) 4 ports of switched ethernet AND additional wireless coverage. You CAN do this with wireless backhaul but wired backhaul is easier (other than physically pulling the cable), faster, and more stable.
I had that ASUS just sitting there when I replaced it with the Nighthawk. When I read about being able to use it as a repeater it was a no-brainer for me to try it as it didn't cost me a dime. Pulling the cable was definitely the bitch of the bunch.
__________________
These violent delights have violent ends.
Posts: 53,940
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
Single Malt CP, Aged 18 Years
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
I had that ASUS just sitting there when I replaced it with the Nighthawk. When I read about being able to use it as a repeater it was a no-brainer for me to try it as it didn't cost me a dime. Pulling the cable was definitely the bitch of the bunch.
I've been running DD-WRT for a few years now so my setup is pretty straightforward. Right now, my main DD-WRT router is a Netgear R7800 and the coverage is good enough I don't really need any AP's. However, I plan on adding back my old Linksys WRT1900AC as a switch/AP (running DD-WRT) at some point to handle a cluster of devices which includes a desktop PC and 2 printers.
Posts: 65,742
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
vailpass vailpass is offline
Are U Ready For Some Football
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $24344
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
I've been running DD-WRT for a few years now so my setup is pretty straightforward. Right now, my main DD-WRT router is a Netgear R7800 and the coverage is good enough I don't really need any AP's. However, I plan on adding back my old Linksys WRT1900AC as a switch/AP (running DD-WRT) at some point to handle a cluster of devices which includes a desktop PC and 2 printers.
Your networking kung fu is several belts higher than my own.
__________________
These violent delights have violent ends.
Posts: 53,940
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.