|02-24-2013, 03:36 PM||Topic Starter|
Black for Palestine
Join Date: Oct 2006
Casino cash: $26627
Better Than Geno
Making the decision to draft Geno Smith means you probably have to ask yourself two questions.
Initially, we ask ourselves whether Geno Smith is the best player in this draft.
If you believe that he is, that's on you and the Yellow Submarine you came in on.
For the rest of us (which I think has to be the vast majority), the answer's no.
So the two step question:
1. Which players are better than Geno Smith in this draft?
2. Are you comfortable passing over them for Geno Smith?
Now, to me, this is the comprehensive list of players I think are better than Geno, everything being equal (including positional value):
1. OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
2. DE/OLB Bjoern Werner, Florida State
3. DE/OLB Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
4. DE/DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
5. DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
6. OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
7. CB DeMarcus Milliner, Alabama
8. OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
9. DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
10. OG Chance Warmack, Alabama
11. CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State
12. DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon
13. S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
(Incidentally, of course, that's my big board.)
Are you comfortable passing over this much talent for Geno Smith? Any one player on this list could be a Chief. There is no obstruction between them and our roster.
I think that's a tall order for Geno to have to overcome. The argument of reaching for a QB over Hankins and Lane Johnson is tough enough. You're also asking the Chiefs ignore the very best this year has to offer in elite talent like Joeckel and Lotulelei (and players who are likely to end up as choice favorites of any number of coaches, like Sheldon Richardson).