Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   Topic Starter
donkhater donkhater is offline
Brilliant!!
 
donkhater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Zionsville, IN, USA
Casino cash: $2500
The Liberal Gloat

The Liberal Gloat
By ROSS DOUTHAT
Published: November 17, 2012

WINNING an election doesn’t just offer the chance to govern the country. It offers a chance to feel morally and intellectually superior to the party you’ve just beaten. This is an inescapable aspect of democratic culture: no matter what reason tells us about the vagaries of politics, something in the American subconscious assumes that the voice of the people really is the voice of God, and that being part of a winning coalition must be a sign that you’re His chosen one as well.

This means the losing coalition must be doomed to wander east of Eden, and liberals have been having a good time with this idea of late. “Those poor, benighted Republicans!” runs the subtext of their postelection commentary. “They can’t read polls! They can’t reach Hispanics! They don’t understand women! They don’t have a team of Silicon Valley sorcerers running their turnout operations!”

Back in 2011, the Obama White House earned some mild mockery for its “win the future” slogan. But now that the president has been re-elected, the liberal conventional wisdom is that the Democrats have done just that — that Republicans are now Radio Shack to their Apple store, “The Waltons” to their “Modern Family,” a mediocre Norman Rockwell to their digital-age mosaic.

Maybe it’s too soon to pierce this cloud of postelection smugness. But in the spirit of friendly correction — or, O.K., maybe curmudgeonly annoyance — let me point out some slightly more unpleasant truths about the future that liberalism seems to be winning.

Liberals look at the Obama majority and see a coalition bound together by enlightened values — reason rather than superstition, tolerance rather than bigotry, equality rather than hierarchy. But it’s just as easy to see a coalition created by social disintegration and unified by economic fear.

Consider the Hispanic vote. Are Democrats winning Hispanics because they put forward a more welcoming face than Republicans do — one more in keeping with America’s tradition of assimilating migrants yearning to breathe free? Yes, up to a point. But they’re also winning recent immigrants because those immigrants often aren’t assimilating successfully — or worse, are assimilating downward, thanks to rising out-of-wedlock birthrates and high dropout rates. The Democratic edge among Hispanics depends heavily on these darker trends: the weaker that families and communities are, the more necessary government support inevitably seems.

Likewise with the growing number of unmarried Americans, especially unmarried women. Yes, social issues like abortion help explain why these voters lean Democratic. But the more important explanation is that single life is generally more insecure and chaotic than married life, and single life with children — which is now commonplace for women under 30 — is almost impossible to navigate without the support the welfare state provides.

Or consider the secular vote, which has been growing swiftly and tilts heavily toward Democrats. The liberal image of a non-churchgoing American is probably the “spiritual but not religious” seeker, or the bright young atheist reading Richard Dawkins. But the typical unchurched American is just as often an underemployed working-class man, whose secularism is less an intellectual choice than a symptom of his disconnection from community in general.

What unites all of these stories is the growing failure of America’s local associations — civic, familial, religious — to foster stability, encourage solidarity and make mobility possible.

This is a crisis that the Republican Party often badly misunderstands, casting Democratic-leaning voters as lazy moochers or spoiled children seeking “gifts” (as a certain former Republican presidential nominee would have it) rather than recognizing the reality of their economic struggles.

But if conservatives don’t acknowledge the crisis’s economic component, liberalism often seems indifferent to its deeper social roots. The progressive bias toward the capital-F Future, the old left-wing suspicion of faith and domesticity, the fact that Democrats have benefited politically from these trends — all of this makes it easy for liberals to just celebrate the emerging America, to minimize the costs of disrupted families and hollowed-out communities, and to treat the places where Americans have traditionally found solidarity outside the state (like the churches threatened by the Obama White House’s contraceptive mandate) as irritants or threats.

This is a great flaw in the liberal vision, because whatever role government plays in prosperity, transfer payments are not a sufficient foundation for middle-class success. It’s not a coincidence that the economic era that many liberals pine for — the great, egalitarian post-World War II boom — was an era that social conservatives remember fondly as well: a time of leaping church attendance, rising marriage rates and birthrates, and widespread civic renewal and engagement.

No such renewal seems to be on the horizon. That isn’t a judgment on the Obama White House, necessarily. But it is a judgment on a certain kind of blithe liberal optimism, and the confidence with which many Democrats assume their newly emerged majority is a sign of progress rather than decline.
Posts: 3,645
donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.donkhater would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
RNR RNR is offline
Anybody got a light?
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $2525
Bound together by enlightened values yeah that's the Obama crowd alright. I almost spit my drink on that one~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,997
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
J Diddy J Diddy is offline
One Groovy Cat
 
J Diddy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Pitt State baby
Casino cash: $2500
An alternate name for this could be "Why the Liberals are teh debil"
Posts: 29,288
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
RNR RNR is offline
Anybody got a light?
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
An alternate name for this could be "Why the Liberals are teh debil"
Not at all his supporters are not based on secular ideology. It is an insult to those of us that are to be lumped in with his voter base. I hope to live to see the day a candidate runs on a secular platform. A return to the vision of those who founded this country where personal beliefs do not corrupt the the decisions made for this country~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,997
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Brainiac Brainiac is offline
Veteran
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lenexa, KS
Casino cash: $2525
All I know is that I'm getting damn tired of liberals spouting the "Elections have consequences" line, as though there is now an enormous mandate to implement all of Obama's policies.

I also know that I'm going to say "Elections have consequences" whenever I hear anyone bitch about the cost of their health insurance going up, businesses failing, ... etc.
Posts: 4,216
Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider View Post
A return to the vision of those who founded this country where personal beliefs do not corrupt the the decisions made for this country~
Personal beliefs now? Not just religious? That's impossible since that is what politics includes. My personal belief is that envy is wrong because encourages theft via govt. Theft is a crime to me, no matter who does it.

You do know that our Founders also said a moral and virtuous people are necessary to maintain a free society too, right?
__________________
Posts: 56,911
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
An alternate name for this could be "Why the Liberals are teh debil"
Where did you get that?

I'm not much of a 'fostering traditional institutions' [ie, the 'everyone should be married with 2.5 kids and attend church regularly for society to function' crowd] guy, relative to other issues.

But he does as much chastising of Republicans for not seeing the pressures put on people that drive them to government reliance as he does chastising liberals for taking advantage of those demographic forging pressures.
__________________
SNL Standards and Practices - "you can't say 'midget,' It's just like saying the N-word.'

John Mulaney - "No it isn't, because you JUST SAID midget."
Posts: 41,402
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $2525
What we can count on is that hubris and pride lead to a fall. Give it time. This time Obama will get the blame.
__________________
Posts: 56,911
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
stevieray stevieray is offline
Ring of Fire
 
stevieray's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $2500
spot on.
Posts: 36,202
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
The Rick The Rick is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Casino cash: $2500
Good article.

For the most part, Republicans don't need to change their positions and principles and become more liberal in order to maintain relevancy and win elections. It's just that, as we recently found out in the last election, one or a few political leaders standing up in front of the country preaching conservative values isn't going to work. Conservatism needs to be more of a grassroots effort and like the article states, it starts with churches, families, and civic organizations.
Posts: 2,234
The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.The Rick must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Comrade Crapski Comrade Crapski is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sea of Green 23.4°
Casino cash: $2500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eam_X...A587D4F7F102D2



Posts: 3,833
Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.Comrade Crapski is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Ugly Duck Ugly Duck is offline
Proof: ChargerFanz DO exist!
 
Ugly Duck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Casino cash: $2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkhater View Post
the weaker that families and communities are, the more necessary government support inevitably seems.
By now we have all learned that Romney supporters are more "dependent on government" than Obama supporters are. We've all absorbed the statistics that have shed light on the fact that its the Blue states that support the Red states through federal taxes. And within states, its the Blue counties that support the Red counties. And within counties, its the Blue districts that support the Red districts. The group most "dependent on government" are older folks, and they went heavily for Romney. Yet Red folks continue to pretend that it is they who are being forced to support us. We Blue folks give to Red folks freely, of our own volition, through our elected representatives. (Thank you! .....You're welcome ). Thats just the way it is - and such truth is available to anyone who believes in simple arithmatic. Its a routine fact as easily understandable as polling data, unemployment statistics, evolution & climate change. Its simply the real world that you stand in right now. Look around you - its really there. And as righties search for "takers" that are "dependent on government," they need look no further than the nearest mirror.
Posts: 9,841
Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ugly Duck is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Brainiac Brainiac is offline
Veteran
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lenexa, KS
Casino cash: $2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
By now we have all learned that Romney supporters are more "dependent on government" than Obama supporters are. We've all absorbed the statistics that have shed light on the fact that its the Blue states that support the Red states through federal taxes. And within states, its the Blue counties that support the Red counties. And within counties, its the Blue districts that support the Red districts. The group most "dependent on government" are older folks, and they went heavily for Romney. Yet Red folks continue to pretend that it is they who are being forced to support us. We Blue folks give to Red folks freely, of our own volition, through our elected representatives. (Thank you! .....You're welcome ). Thats just the way it is - and such truth is available to anyone who believes in simple arithmatic. Its a routine fact as easily understandable as polling data, unemployment statistics, evolution & climate change. Its simply the real world that you stand in right now. Look around you - its really there. And as righties search for "takers" that are "dependent on government," they need look no further than the nearest mirror.
That really IS you in your avatar picture, isn't it?
Posts: 4,216
Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Brainiac is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
By now we have all learned that Romney supporters are more "dependent on government" than Obama supporters are. We've all absorbed the statistics that have shed light on the fact that its the Blue states that support the Red states through federal taxes. And within states, its the Blue counties that support the Red counties. And within counties, its the Blue districts that support the Red districts. The group most "dependent on government" are older folks, and they went heavily for Romney. Yet Red folks continue to pretend that it is they who are being forced to support us. We Blue folks give to Red folks freely, of our own volition, through our elected representatives. (Thank you! .....You're welcome ). Thats just the way it is - and such truth is available to anyone who believes in simple arithmatic. Its a routine fact as easily understandable as polling data, unemployment statistics, evolution & climate change. Its simply the real world that you stand in right now. Look around you - its really there. And as righties search for "takers" that are "dependent on government," they need look no further than the nearest mirror.
Just as long as none of us red folks come over the hill and sully your view.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,816
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkhater View Post
The Liberal Gloat
By ROSS DOUTHAT
Published: November 17, 2012

WINNING an election doesn’t just offer the chance to govern the country. It offers a chance to feel morally and intellectually superior to the party you’ve just beaten. This is an inescapable aspect of democratic culture: no matter what reason tells us about the vagaries of politics, something in the American subconscious assumes that the voice of the people really is the voice of God, and that being part of a winning coalition must be a sign that you’re His chosen one as well.

This means the losing coalition must be doomed to wander east of Eden, and liberals have been having a good time with this idea of late. “Those poor, benighted Republicans!” runs the subtext of their postelection commentary. “They can’t read polls! They can’t reach Hispanics! They don’t understand women! They don’t have a team of Silicon Valley sorcerers running their turnout operations!”

Back in 2011, the Obama White House earned some mild mockery for its “win the future” slogan. But now that the president has been re-elected, the liberal conventional wisdom is that the Democrats have done just that — that Republicans are now Radio Shack to their Apple store, “The Waltons” to their “Modern Family,” a mediocre Norman Rockwell to their digital-age mosaic.

Maybe it’s too soon to pierce this cloud of postelection smugness. But in the spirit of friendly correction — or, O.K., maybe curmudgeonly annoyance — let me point out some slightly more unpleasant truths about the future that liberalism seems to be winning.

Liberals look at the Obama majority and see a coalition bound together by enlightened values — reason rather than superstition, tolerance rather than bigotry, equality rather than hierarchy. But it’s just as easy to see a coalition created by social disintegration and unified by economic fear.
OK, this seems like an interesting and possibly useful article so far. I see where it is coming from and I am interested in the rest of this perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkhater View Post
Consider the Hispanic vote. Are Democrats winning Hispanics because they put forward a more welcoming face than Republicans do — one more in keeping with America’s tradition of assimilating migrants yearning to breathe free? Yes, up to a point. But they’re also winning recent immigrants because those immigrants often aren’t assimilating successfully — or worse, are assimilating downward, thanks to rising out-of-wedlock birthrates and high dropout rates. The Democratic edge among Hispanics depends heavily on these darker trends: the weaker that families and communities are, the more necessary government support inevitably seems.
/stops reading
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,528
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.