ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Are there any unknown "rules" against acquiring a second remote job? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352513)

TripleThreat 02-26-2024 01:29 PM

Are there any unknown "rules" against acquiring a second remote job?

Background: I work from home, and I love my job. Due to this, I don't want to jeopardize my current job but would love to acquire a second "easy" remote job that I think I may be able to secure (in process). While it pays less than my current job, it would be a great way to just funnel this money into a bank account and let it sit.

Are there any precautions I should be taking, or any unknown rules I should know about when/if acquiring a second job? For example, does my HR or company get notified by any sort of outside source (such as when they send me my W-2) that another company is sending me a W-2?

What I have read online seems to be all over the place, and what I've generally come to the consensus of is that I can get a second job, and there shouldn't be any issue, just to make sure that I keep up the work for both jobs, if not, my "main" job which was already a given.....

Wisconsin_Chief 02-26-2024 01:34 PM

Prison Bitch did this and got busted by his employer, not sure how he got caught but there's a thread about it. I think there was a Zoom meeting and someone from his other company was somehow involved and spotted him. Pretty funny.

I don't think there is technically anything illegal about it, but you'll probably be fired if they somehow find out. I know several people who did it during Covid (short term at least) and never got busted. Not sure if it's worth it if you love your current job.

Bearcat 02-26-2024 01:36 PM

We already did this?

https://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349712

Hammock Parties 02-26-2024 01:37 PM

**** the man, and get yours

ptlyon 02-26-2024 01:38 PM

Taking over for Kagney Linn Karter?

Discuss Thrower 02-26-2024 01:41 PM

Taking a second full time job from someone who actually needs the income to live is quite selfish.

OKchiefs 02-26-2024 01:42 PM

The term for this is overemployed, there’s a community on reddit that would be a good resource

digger 02-26-2024 01:48 PM

If you are going to do this, maybe work main job during normal working hours and second job off hours...

Was once a contract employee that was caught working a second, of course they were using main company's email to "Do business" for secondary job. and was only fired after not completing required training after saying that they did take it...

Mecca 02-26-2024 01:51 PM

I mean if you get busted there will be issues, if you do a job that doesn't require a ton of work or meetings then you'll be fine.

Some companies let you do meetings without video and really only have an hour or 2 of work if you do that, then you can make it work.

kcfan75 02-26-2024 01:53 PM

I'm a remote Software Engineer so I think I could pull it off since I'm project based, but I don't think I want the added responsibility then you have to hide your LinkedIn profile and all of that crap.

I agree, check out the Reddit forum on it though, thousands pull it off.

RunKC 02-26-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 17417913)
Prison Bitch did this and got busted by his employer, not sure how he got caught but there's a thread about it. I think there was a Zoom meeting and someone from his other company was somehow involved and spotted him. Pretty funny.

I don't think there is technically anything illegal about it, but you'll probably be fired if they somehow find out. I know several people who did it during Covid (short term at least) and never got busted. Not sure if it's worth it if you love your current job.

Did he really get caught? Did he get fired?

Is there a post about that?

suzzer99 02-26-2024 01:55 PM

I think the general rule is that as long as it's not a competing company and you don't let it interfere with the first job it's ok. But your company may have different policies. Job #2 should definitely know about Job #1 imo, or it would get really tricky.

Titty Meat 02-26-2024 01:57 PM

People still work from home?

TripleThreat 02-26-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17417918)

I didn't remember this lmao. you know what's funny is after that thread I stopped searching cause I couldn't find anything. Just recently with holidays over I got the itch to start again. Funny how I somehow come back to CP to ask my life questions every now and then lol.

ptlyon 02-26-2024 02:10 PM

So that at home frontal lobotomy kit didn't work out so well for you?