ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Where’s our dline rank? How should we improve? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349020)

kcbubb 06-15-2023 08:30 AM

Where’s our dline rank? How should we improve?

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/...-line-rankings

I have no idea if this site is credible but it’s about what I expected. Chiefs are ranked are 22nd dline in the nfl. I’ve been slapped around pretty good around here for suggesting we upgrade the d line by trading for chase young. So, how do we upgrade the dline? And so many here are consumed with upgrading the offense when we’re already the number 1 offense and I could see us getting better even with our wrs, not worse, so I don’t see us needing to upgrade offensively (we don’t need Dhop with his price tag) as much as we should focus on the defense, especially the dline. So, is there a way we could improve the defense? How would you improve the defense, especially the dline? Great dline play is critical to a good spags defense.

IA_Chiefs_fan 06-15-2023 08:46 AM

I feel like we have the makings of an average D-line which is good enough. With multiple young players in key roles there will be some bad games. Hopefully they are rolling by January though.

Dunerdr 06-15-2023 08:51 AM

We should improve by getting more tackles and sacks.

The Franchise 06-15-2023 08:55 AM

They use PFF. I'm disregarding everything they wrote.

Dude...they aren't even comparing shit apples to apples. 3-4 teams are only being ranked based off of their 3 down linemen.

Toad 06-15-2023 09:01 AM

Objectively, the DL is probably middle third in league.
DT over-indexes with CJ, but the other side not so much.
DE under-indexes with the youth. That said, the expectations are that those 1st round DE’s are expected to make big strides. Should be a top third unit by year end.

O.city 06-15-2023 09:04 AM

The DL needs to improve by playing and developing the young guys like they did with the secondary last year.

LoneWolf 06-15-2023 09:24 AM

Best DT in football, high level DT/DE player in Omenihu, 2 1st round picks at DE one of which had 7 sacks as a rookie. The DL is going to be fine.

Why Not? 06-15-2023 09:25 AM

#1 of course. Our Dline won the most recent Super Bowl. Where do they rank in regards to the 2023 season? How the hell would anyone know? Pre-season rankings are up there with "expert" predictions. Mostly worthless.

Woogieman 06-15-2023 09:47 AM

How long does it take Coburn to supplant Nnadi? If he can very quickly, we are in pretty good shape.

Gary Cooper 06-15-2023 10:30 AM

Depends on how Karlaftis develops and the new kid they drafted.

You know what you're getting in Jones.

RunKC 06-15-2023 10:33 AM

I think Omenihu is gonna be the best interior DL that Chris Jones has played next to and I think that’s gonna cause a lot of problems for teams on 3rd down. And I love Mike Danna as the 5th DL and rotational interior rusher he really broke out last year and will probably be even better in a career year.

Karlaftis is probably gonna be an 8-10 sack guy this year. Expect big things from him. And Felix stepping in should help us even more.

Really love what we’ve done the last 3 years to bulk the DL around Chris Jones

RealSNR 06-15-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 16982273)

I have no idea if this site is credible but it’s about what I expected. Chiefs are ranked are 22nd dline in the nfl. I’ve been slapped around pretty good around here for suggesting we upgrade the d line by trading for chase young. So, how do we upgrade the dline? And so many here are consumed with upgrading the offense when we’re already the number 1 offense and I could see us getting better even with our wrs, not worse, so I don’t see us needing to upgrade offensively (we don’t need Dhop with his price tag) as much as we should focus on the defense, especially the dline. So, is there a way we could improve the defense? How would you improve the defense, especially the dline? Great dline play is critical to a good spags defense.

You do realize the Chiefs already made their investments at DL, right? They can't afford to buy one for instant results, so they drafted young guys and are waiting to see the result.

GMs use phrases like "It's a process" all the time much to the consternation of impatient fans, but it's absolutely true. This thing is a process. So just ****ing wait, man.

kcgreene 06-15-2023 11:22 AM

I think lot of our DLine production this year is going to come down to how big of a step forward Karlaftis can make... I think FAU might be coming along before the end of the year, but we need Karlaftis to step up in his sophomore season so we can generate pressure on the edge.

Omenihu's signing buys us some wiggle room on that, but if George can be productive on the edge when Omenihu is rushing from the interior on obvious passing downs, this DLine could be pretty damn good.

Chief Pagan 06-15-2023 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 16982273)

LT was a huge question mark that deserved a lot of attention.

Even now, it remains to be seen how it shakes out.

Having an OL that can minimize the hits that Mahomes takes in routine games is certainly worthwhile for keeping him healthy long term.

WR has a lot of unknowns and high variability. So yeah, it may be time for KC to roll with what they have at the position...

...but if some vet wanted to chase a ring on a one year team friendly contract, BV should do his due diligence.

Pitt Gorilla 06-15-2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcgreene (Post 16982578)
I think lot of our DLine production this year is going to come down to how big of a step forward Karlaftis can make... I think FAU might be coming along before the end of the year, but we need Karlaftis to step up in his sophomore season so we can generate pressure on the edge.

Omenihu's signing buys us some wiggle room on that, but if George can be productive on the edge when Omenihu is rushing from the interior on obvious passing downs, this DLine could be pretty damn good.

FAU has to get on the field. I wonder how long it will be until Chief Fans pronounce him a "brokedick" or some such.