ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports World Cup Draw (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343255)

ChiefBlueCFC 04-01-2022 10:31 AM

World Cup Draw

Didn't see a thread for the World Cup draw. It is taking place right now on FS1 if anyone is interested.

I know some don't give a lick about soccer but some do. I'm not overly worried about the draw, just wanna know who we got and what our potential path to the knock out stages is going to be.

ChiefBlueCFC 04-01-2022 11:20 AM

Draw Results
Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands
Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales/Scotland/Ukraine
Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland
Group D: France, UAE/Australia, Denmark, Tunisia
Group E: Spain, Costa Rica/New Zealand, Germany, Japan
Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia
Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon
Group H: Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, Korea Republic

Group of death would have to be Group E. Group F, B, H should be fun to watch. The US has a potential to get outta the group. England is going to be incredibly tough and Iran isn't a slouch but they should be able to take care of business. The European play-off between Wales and Scotland/Ukraine. My money would be on Wales getting through that, but you never know.

So what do we think? Do we think the USA gets out of the group? In 2014, the USA was apart of the group of death and got out of the group so you just never know. The draw definitely could've been a lot worse.

Titty Meat 04-01-2022 11:22 AM

Easily the most annoying event. A bunch of people who don't even watch soccer pretend every 4 years they are diehards cheering for a country alot of them bash. Hopefully they get eliminated quickly

Rausch 04-01-2022 11:22 AM

I know jack and squat about the Men's team this go round. I need to look into that...

Old Dog 04-01-2022 11:25 AM

I think that the "Group of Death" would be B with potentially 4 of the top 21 teams in the world rankings.

RedinTexas 04-01-2022 11:28 AM

I don't watch soccer or even follow it, but I like the world cup. However, it always reminds me of the Olympics. The International Olympic Committee and FIFA are easily 2 of the most corrupt organizations in the world.

Red Dawg 04-01-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16227564)
Easily the most annoying event. A bunch of people who don't even watch soccer pretend every 4 years they are diehards cheering for a country alot of them bash. Hopefully they get eliminated quickly

Yeah that's right mother ****er! You gotta problem?

Old Dog 04-01-2022 11:30 AM

If they get through the group stage though, the draw of Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador, or Qatar would set up well.

FloridaMan88 04-01-2022 11:32 AM

The World Cup taking place in November going up against the NFL… it will be completely invisible in the US.

Oz_Chief 04-01-2022 11:35 AM

I think England and USA advance. Interesting draw all around.

Garcia Bronco 04-01-2022 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC (Post 16227560)
Draw Results
Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands
Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales/Scotland/Ukraine
Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland
Group D: France, UAE/Australia, Denmark, Tunisia
Group E: Spain, Costa Rica/New Zealand, Germany, Japan
Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia
Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon
Group H: Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, Korea Republic

Group of death would have to be Group E. Group F, B, H should be fun to watch. The US has a potential to get outta the group. England is going to be incredibly tough and Iran isn't a slouch but they should be able to take care of business. The European play-off between Wales and Scotland/Ukraine. My money would be on Wales getting through that, but you never know.

So what do we think? Do we think the USA gets out of the group? In 2014, the USA was apart of the group of death and got out of the group so you just never know. The draw definitely could've been a lot worse.

When I look at that..one..it's well balanced...and two..group E sticks out as the hardest, but not by much. If Ghana has it's shit together, H could be tough.

US versus Wales, et al. would be interesting for me.
My surname is Welsh vs. my country. I've never seen that

I don't think Mane of Senegal is enough to push the Netherlands, but they can make it.

carlos3652 04-01-2022 11:52 AM

Group A is the easiest group with the 2nd best team ranked 20th. Qatar might have a chance of an upset... but those other 3 teams are better on paper.

Group of Death is defined typically by historic world powers / high current rankings with the potential of a 3rd place finish.

For example in the European Qualification Playoff games.. if Italy and Portugal had to play to get in, match of death if you will for the last slot. (I still cant believe italy lost prior to that)

I think Group B comes to mind because England (5) / USA (15) / Wales* (18) / Iran (21) has the potential to leave out 2 top 21 teams from contention from a rankings perspective on how they have been playing lately.

Group E would be the one that you can point to and say you dont need rankings to figure out that a good team is going to be left out: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan

I think Group H will be the most fun to watch to see who comes out on top... with the potential of Uruguay and Portugal maybe missing the next round.

ChiefBlueCFC 04-01-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 16227586)
The World Cup taking place in November going up against the NFL… it will be completely invisible in the US.

It is definitely going to be interesting to see how viewership goes. Especially if the US plays on a Sunday. I think the one thing that will bode well, in terms of the world cup competing for eyes with the NFL, is the games shouldn't be happening during the same window since they're on different sides of the world.

Gary Cooper 04-01-2022 11:53 AM

They stuck Iran in a group with possibly three English speaking countries. :)

Gary Cooper 04-01-2022 11:54 AM

This will be the last potential for a good World Cup. The next World Cup is 48 teams. Double the teams for a watered down product.