ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football No Tag for Landon Collins? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321550)

chiefforlife 02-27-2019 03:31 PM

No Tag for Landon Collins?

Dave Gettleman casts doubt on tagging Landon Collins
Posted by Josh Alper on February 27, 2019, 3:24 PM EST
Getty Images

Safety Landon Collins‘ future with the Giants was a topic of conversation last week amid dueling reports about whether he cleaned out his locker.

Collins cleared up the locker issue by saying he took stuff he needed and left some other things behind, but the issue of his return remained up in the air and it was the subject of one of the questions posed to General Manager Dave Gettleman at his Scouting Combine press conference in Wednesday. Gettleman’s answer suggested that the team may not be going that route.

The Giants are projected to have in the neighborhood of $27 million in cap space, but Gettleman said that’s not all available money because “you’ve got to go into the season with $8-10 million in space” in order to deal with any injury losses.

“So you’ve got to say to yourself: ‘$10 million goes here,'” Gettleman said, via SNY.TV. “So now that conversation is different, isn’t it? ‘Man, they’ve only got $17 million left.'”

Gettleman, who was the Panthers G.M. when the team rescinded Josh Norman‘s tag, also pointed to the unhappiness that often comes with a tag.

“So let’s go to the conversation of eliminating distractions,” Gettleman said, via SNY.tv. “You tag a guy. He’s mad. And that’s all you guys are going to write about. For six months it’s what it’s going to be. So I have to say to myself, ‘Is it worth it?'”

A report last week indicated that Collins would sit out the offseason if tagged before the March 5 deadline for teams to avail themselves of that option.

chiefforlife 02-27-2019 03:31 PM

Get HIM Veach!!

Sassy Squatch 02-27-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 14127073)
Get HIM Veach!!

Nah. We don't need 2 box safeties making 10+ Million AAV.

TambaBerry 02-27-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14127079)

Bro give me a break. Look at his season with spags as his DC. Quit it with this box safety narrative

Kiimo 02-27-2019 03:38 PM

Just draft Adderly

DJ's left nut 02-27-2019 04:04 PM

Okay, if Collins is available, you !@#$ing figure out how to move on from Eric Berry and you make that move.

Collins isn't my favorite FA target but he's young and athletic and aggressive. And yes, he's redundant with Berry around but Berry just gave us an out. The deadline for the tag is March 5th. If he doesn't get tagged on March 5, you're on his phone the instant the 'legal tampering' period begins and you have him signed within an hour of the new league year when FA opens on 3/13.

Then you cut Berry on 3/14, the day before the additional $7.25 million in guarantees triggers on his deal.

If that's doable, I think you do it. Collins is 25 yrs old next season and has probably 4 or maybe 5 seasons in his prime ahead of him. If you can get him on a deal that gives you his age 25-28 seasons plus a reasonable year 5 (or escape hatch) for age 29, that's a heck of a nice time period to have a guy.

I'd still be stunned if they don't get him tagged, if only to trade him. Someone will give up a 2nd for him.

saphojunkie 02-27-2019 04:12 PM

Eric Berry not having the surgery means you can designate a post june 1 cut and move on.

Hoover 02-27-2019 04:14 PM

LOL @ Giants.

They could have cut Mannning and saved 17m towards the cap, but they keep him for one year and let a young guy like this hit the market.

We need to be all over this. If Collins is the ONLY splash we make in free agency this year then so be it.

TambaBerry 02-27-2019 04:16 PM

I'd sign Collins, cut berry post June 1st, draft Adderley, cut Sorenson, have watts and Lucas as depth. Some other vet so you have 5 and call it good

Simply Red 02-27-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14127079)

This site is so understudied about cap flexibility - it's reeruned.

loochy 02-27-2019 04:18 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/593e...itemid=4587565

The Franchise 02-27-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 14127180)
I'd sign Collins, cut berry post June 1st, draft Adderley, cut Sorenson, have watts and Lucas as depth. Some other vet so you have 5 and call it good

This.

chiefforlife 02-27-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14127154)
Okay, if Collins is available, you !@#$ing figure out how to move on from Eric Berry and you make that move.

Collins isn't my favorite FA target but he's young and athletic and aggressive. And yes, he's redundant with Berry around but Berry just gave us an out. The deadline for the tag is March 5th. If he doesn't get tagged on March 5, you're on his phone the instant the 'legal tampering' period begins and you have him signed within an hour of the new league year when FA opens on 3/13.

Then you cut Berry on 3/14, the day before the additional $7.25 million in guarantees triggers on his deal.

If that's doable, I think you do it. Collins is 25 yrs old next season and has probably 4 or maybe 5 seasons in his prime ahead of him. If you can get him on a deal that gives you his age 25-28 seasons plus a reasonable year 5 (or escape hatch) for age 29, that's a heck of a nice time period to have a guy.

I'd still be stunned if they don't get him tagged, if only to trade him. Someone will give up a 2nd for him.

This! ALL OF THIS!!

Simply Red 02-27-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14127154)

I'm at 86% likely we'll get Landon. Up from Saturday's 84%

ToxSocks 02-27-2019 04:22 PM

We sign Collins without cutting Berry. How? Balla as GM, that's how.

Berry becomes a cap casualty next season. Houston gets cut this season.