ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I do not want to give to charity (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319397)

BWillie 12-07-2018 07:49 PM

I do not want to give to charity

I go to Panda Express about once a week. Every single time they ask me if I want to donate money to dying children. I used to just give them money, and round up. But now - I suppose I'm evil I've just not been doing it. And I'm getting tired of places like this asking me to give money after I've just purchased something.

The people with the bell...fine I guess...it's just kind of annoying & awkward asking me this at the cash register after I've just bought $300 worth of shit. You know damn well I have the money to donate.

There are tons of places doing this now. I'll get a sandwich somewhere and they'll be like - do you want to help dying children? I kind of just want to reply - I ****ing love dying children. They are the best kind. Thanks for ruining my day. I'm tired of them soliciting from me because all they want to do is be able to say in their commercials how much money they've raised for charity to in turn get more business to show the world just how much they really care!

I am a horrible person. I realize this.

I do charity on my own time. Every year I've helped at a soup kitchen or a salvation army drive. I just don't want to donate money at a business so they can brag about how much they did so they can become more profitable.

stevieray 12-07-2018 07:52 PM

...this sounds like I'm not going to give a homeless person money, because all they will do is spend it on booze!

Giving isn't about YOU.

Hopefullly, this will eventually sink in.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-07-2018 07:57 PM

Dag, man. It's 50 cents on average.

CaliforniaChief 12-07-2018 08:00 PM

Take whatever the change is and put it away in your own 5-gallon container. Then at the end of the year, tally it up and use it to help someone anonymously or give to a cause you DO find compelling.

highBOLTage 12-07-2018 08:00 PM

It is annoying how every store does this now. Grocery store, drug store today, even the dollar store I went to the other day is doing it.

ILChief 12-07-2018 08:00 PM

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/jdcszw...s-a-hungry-one

big nasty kcnut 12-07-2018 08:02 PM

Yeah i like to help but push me to do it i won't do it. i do it on my own time

BryanBusby 12-07-2018 08:09 PM

The OP is poor

44yearsandcounting 12-07-2018 08:09 PM

Bank your change and a few singles here and there. Cash in around thanksgiving. Buy some plushies and misc toys. Take to children’s hospital. Deliver in person. Win.

srvy 12-07-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highBOLTage (Post 13942149)
It is annoying how every store does this now. Grocery store, drug store today, even the dollar store I went to the other day is doing it.

This

I give of my own accord where and to whom I want but dont like being shamed into giving in the checkout line. Its usually St Judes Childrens Hospital a fine place but Id soon give to Children's Mercy in my own hometown.

Ill give to Salvation Army, DAV, March of Dimes etc. But never will give to Red Cross. Being a child of WWII veteran and Uncles who served in that war and having family member that went through a home fire you learn real fast why.

BWillie 12-07-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 13942148)
Take whatever the change is and put it away in your own 5-gallon container. Then at the end of the year, tally it up and use it to help someone anonymously or give to a cause you DO find compelling.

I like this idea actually! Good idea.

Bump 12-07-2018 08:21 PM

Too many charities give 5 cents on the dollar to the actual cause and the CEO of the charity makes a fortune. I have no guilt saying no.

Frazod 12-07-2018 08:28 PM

It's not like they ask for money because they want to - its a company directive. Probably annoys them more far than you, since they have do to it all day, while you only have to hear it once.

Just say no. They're not going to pee in your food or anything. Or take your business elsewhere.

007 12-07-2018 08:29 PM

This is one of the reasons I use the self checkout lanes whenever they are available. The only charity I choose to give to is the salvation army.

chinaski 12-07-2018 08:29 PM

It's your money, do with it as you wish. There is nothing wrong with saying no. That said, I am weary of giving random establishments money for charity due to the lack of accountability. My wife and I frequently give to charity, but do it on or own accord. That way we have complete control, and donate to charities that we personally believe in.

One thing that I have heard about recently is 'paying it forward' when you are at a drive through. Apparently this is a thing during the holidays at some places, specifically Starbucks. I don't frequent Starbucks that often, but my wife does. I guess the routine is to pay the tab for the person behind you, and that continues throughout the line. This I find a bit vein. You have a vehicle and the means to purchase an overpriced Starbucks coffee, you shouldn't expect somebody to pay for your 10$ Soy Latte. LAME.