ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk defense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316128)

TLO 07-08-2018 02:23 PM

Let's talk defense

Where does everyone think this defense will rank at the end of the season?

Will we have more success stopping the run?

Will the secondary be lit up like a Christmas tree on a regular basis without Peters?

Let's discuss it all in here.

TLO 07-08-2018 02:25 PM

I definitely think secondary is going to be our weak link. A healthy Berry will do wonders - but who starts along sidehim? Surely not Sorensen, right?

FlaChief58 07-08-2018 02:27 PM

I think they'll end up somewhere around 20. Our best defense will be sustained scoring drives by the offense.

LoneWolf 07-08-2018 02:28 PM

Murray, Watts, or Golden should be the other starter at safety. Let them fight it out in TC. Best man wins.

TLO 07-08-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 13619650)
I think they'll end up somewhere around 20. Our best defense will be sustained scoring drives by the offense.

While I do enjoy a good sustained scoring drive, we may have the issue of scoring too quickly with all these weapons.

Unless Reid decides to send Pat into full dink and dunk mode that is. :sulk:

TLO 07-08-2018 02:31 PM

Maybe we can convert Frank Zombo to safety? Dude is a playmaker.

Bowser 07-08-2018 02:31 PM

I'm worried about corner. I think everywhere else will be improved except there. Hopefully Houston is still Houston, K-Pass comes on strong, and Dee Ford plays like he knows it's his contract year, because we're going to need all the pass rush we can get with those corners out there.

Bowser 07-08-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13619656)
Maybe we can convert Frank Zombo to safety? Dude is a playmaker.

Please no more Nate Hobgood-Piscatelli Zombo's, if you don't mind.

OKchiefs 07-08-2018 02:34 PM

Not expecting a championship this year, so I'm fine with growing pains, including on defense. We took a bunch of role players this year, not expecting any stars from the bunch. Hopefully with a first and two seconds next year we can add some premium talent to supplement the roster.

JoeyChuckles 07-08-2018 02:36 PM

I say we finish the season ranked 27th and Sutton is gone. Maybe that's just a dream.

Buehler445 07-08-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13619654)
While I do enjoy a good sustained scoring drive, we may have the issue of scoring too quickly with all these weapons.

Unless Reid decides to send Pat into full dink and dunk mode that is. :sulk:

Doesn't matter. It's about efficiency. Points per possession. If we get fewer possessions from turnovers, it kills efficiency, but so does ****ing wasted possessions. We'll pick up turnovers, but the wasted possessions should go down.

It's efficiency, man. If we score every possession, the only thing that can stop us is losing the coin toss.

TLO 07-08-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13619657)
I'm worried about corner. I think everywhere else will be improved except there. Hopefully Houston is still Houston, K-Pass comes on strong, and Dee Ford plays like he knows it's his contract year, because we're going to need all the pass rush we can get with those corners out there.

I think you've got a good point regarding the pass rush. A solid rush coming at different angles will makel the secondary look a lot better.

Dee Ford needs to find a way to stay healthy.

Reerun_KC 07-08-2018 02:56 PM

Lb will be our weakest unit this year. An over paid aging/no knees Houston and a broke dick in Ford...

OKchiefs 07-08-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13619693)
Lb will be our weakest unit this year. An over paid aging/no knees Houston and a broke dick in Ford...

Not even close

TwistedChief 07-08-2018 03:49 PM

We've had a mediocre defense for years but always relied on an above average turnover margin and a bend-don't-break mentality. Last year we stopped bending and broke. I think we've plugged some holes (Hitchens and a full season of Ragland as a starter with the arrow pointed up), potentially opened others (Fuller vs Peters), and Berry coming back is a huge upgrade. I like that Veach is going after a mindset change on defense because we were insanely soft last year.

On the bright side, I think we won't have to rely upon our defense to win games this season.