ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Items you like and bought in the past, no longer available. What to do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314862)

scho63 04-12-2018 07:53 AM

Items you like and bought in the past, no longer available. What to do?

Recently I've had a spate of bad luck going back to buy things I really like and bought in the past that are no longer available.

It seems as though every time I buy something I really like, I go back at a date in the future and it's no longer available and I get stuck buying something inferior or I have to settle.

It's been happening with clothing.
I had bought 8 Ben Hogan golf shirts from Walmart that had fantastic unique colors, fit great and looked good on me. I used with my prior company's logo for work shirts. Now no longer working I went to buy new ones and they are no longer available. They are so comfortable and great for everyday and golf but who wants to wear another company's logo when you work for someone else?

I bought a great leather black business card/wallet that had so many compartments and durable and fit everything I needed. (I don't carry money in a wallet oddly) It was a Swiss Army/Victornix that I purchased years ago in Toronto at the Hudson Bay company. Something close but missing some of the functions and an extra compartment from the other.

Lastly I bought several pairs of IZOD Saltwater flat front shorts and I need new ones after losing so much weight non of them fit and of course, they are not available in the size and color I want in any store; Amazon, Kohl, Macy's JC Penney's or IZOD.

I bought Timberlands Kia Wah Bay Boat Show in a wide width and after 3 1/2 years the soles are worn and they no longer make them. One of my favorite shoes ever.

It's happened with grocery items and food at restaurants where some of my favorite dishes all were removed in a period of a few months. I know restaurants turn over their menu but it sucks when you go to a restaurant for a specific dish you love and when you see the menu after you sit down, it's gone!

Do I need to go back after purchase and buy extras of everything I like? :hmmm:

When I go to a restaurant or grocery store do I need to buy extras and freeze the food for the future? :hmmm:

So, how do you deal with this?
  • Is this as annoying for you as it is for me?
  • Do you every buy extra favorite items for the future?
  • Do you even give a shit or just think I'm being a giant whiny bitch? ROFL

BryanBusby 04-12-2018 07:55 AM

Stop liking anything. You're welcome.

jjchieffan 04-12-2018 07:59 AM

Have you tried eBay? I just used the search function on eBay and found lots of the Ben Hogan golf shirts.

Bwana 04-12-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13513331)
Have you tried eBay? I just used the search function on eBay and found lots of the Ben Hogan golf shirts.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I don't use eBay much, but if there was something like a discontinued golf shirt I was trying to run down, that would be a good bet.

SuperChief 04-12-2018 08:08 AM

It might not hurt to call the company (if they're still around) and ask if they're aware of suitable alternatives.

Stryker 04-12-2018 08:08 AM

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...hirts&_sacat=0

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens...230r214#hero=0

https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Me.../dp/B005GYF848

bigjosh 04-12-2018 08:08 AM

I bought a pair of dc stag2 skate shoes a few years ago that were the most comfortable shoes i have ever bought. Went back to buy another pair after mine wore out and they were gone. Sucks.

Shaid 04-12-2018 08:12 AM

I hear you on the IZOD. I had actually bought a few pairs of pants at Sam's Club that were IZOD and they were great and pretty cheap. I didn't see them again and eventually found them again at Kohl's but they were 3 times more expensive.

stumppy 04-12-2018 08:14 AM

Update your wardrobe?

scho63 04-12-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13513331)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 13513338)
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I don't use eBay much, but if there was something like a discontinued golf shirt I was trying to run down, that would be a good bet.

My luck with Ebay has been crappy the last few times and so much I've seen was "Imperfect" or "Defect" clothing pulled from regular stores or used crap or as advertised.

scho63 04-12-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 13513340)
It might not hurt to call the company (if they're still around) and ask if they're aware of suitable alternatives.

I shot Timberland an email and they told me they are being discontinued for new styles. :(

displacedinMN 04-12-2018 08:26 AM

It feeds the need to always make people want something new.

Your issues are not just you. I am picky. I look at a lot of things before I decide. And things that I like cannot be found after 6 months.

Buy as many as you can if you like it. It won't be around next month.

Welcome back.

Scorp 04-12-2018 08:42 AM

Planters Cheez Balls .......... I would give my left nut if they still made them.

https://i.imgur.com/m73jVnG.jpg

BucEyedPea 04-12-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13513324)
Recently I've had a spate of bad luck going back to buy things I really like and bought in the past that are no longer available.
date in the future and it's no longer available and I get stuck buying
It seems as though every time I buy something I really like, I go back at a something inferior or I have to settle.

So, how do you deal with this?
  • Is this as annoying for you as it is for me?
  • Do you every buy extra favorite items for the future?
  • Do you even give a shit or just think I'm being a giant whiny bitch? ROFL

Yep! I've been seeing this a lot more over the past 5 years from food items that I've always used in recipes to some home goods and a few clothing lines.

I like really soft towels and many are no longer soft even in the higher end stores or they're outrageously prices. I lucked upon a set and bought a bunch at WalMart, where I never have bought towels before but they were so soft. I only got one color. It wasn't even three months passed, when I went to get another set in another color they were gone, replaced with crap. I am picky about having my towel styles match for each bathroom and I like them to be color coordinated with my decor. Now I have to start all over again for one bathroom. Get's expensive when I have other things to purchase too.

Every year at Christmas I make a large bowl or pitcher of cranberry tea, which my guests LOVE every year. It always gets emptied out. But the brand of cranberry concentrate I used is no longer available at Publix. They always tell me they can special order it, but then contact me and say it's no longer available or discontinued, making it sound as if no one makes it anymore. So I call the maker of it and they say it has not been discontinued. So I go back to Publix and they're like "Oh, and well" we don't carry it anymore to which I say, "Well, I know that!". It's totally circular. Why do they offer to special order it, when they've discontinued it is beyond making any sense. Publix staff tell me they have new products instead. Yeah, well I noticed that. I've tried substitute concentrates and it just does not taste the same.

The maker of it told me what stores had it here, and I went and none of them had it either. What a bummer.

Then I asked Publix to carry a hemp milk in their health section of substitute milks—but the plain and non-sweetened one, not the vanilla and non-sweetened, not the vanilla and sweetened one. They carry it now on the shelves—the one I want then stop. Now they carry the same milk and brand but only the sweetened one. I get the same story as above. I point out to them that I was the one who got them to carry it. Basically, tough luck we're carrying the others instead.

Now there's a line of lingerie I love, fits well, has colors and styles I like but that was discontinued. However, just found out from store that carries it, there were a lot of complaints so they brought it back. If something has been selling, why do they discontinue it?

Another one has been Bed Bath and Beyond. I see things I like on a trip in to get something and plan to get it on another trip to spread out my purchases based on my receivables. In less than a month, item is no longer available. One I found at target, which were a really nice container to freeze food in.

I understand that new products are going to come on the market all the time but it seems it's happening sooner than ever.

Simply Red 04-12-2018 08:52 AM

Jalapenis mustard is hard to find!