ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Are you ever startled awake by imagining someone knocking on the wall or door? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314586)

TimeForWasp 03-24-2018 09:55 AM

Are you ever startled awake by imagining someone knocking on the wall or door?

It's been happening to me quite often the last couple years.

I thought maybe I was snoring loud enough to piss off the neighbors, but it has even happened since they moved out.

Is my brain sensing something wrong and waking me up?

Randallflagg 03-24-2018 09:59 AM

LMAO I know how you feel. I was a Counter Intel Investigator in the Army and used to sleep with a gun under my pillow. Never had a problem - always slept like a baby.

Now? I'm a retired old man and I hear shit that goes "bump in the night" nearly every night. I have a pistol that I keep by the bed, and I have been known to grab it, go downstairs and check the locks. Never amounted to anything.

It's weird, but I think (at least in my case) it's just a product of getting old(er)..

RunKC 03-24-2018 10:03 AM

Yeah I have sleep anxiety. I have fears of someone breaking into my house or forgetting to do a task that is extremely important and it keeps me from sleeping well throughout the night.

It’s weird bc I don’t have anxiety during the day (that I know of) and have no idea how to treat my sleep anxiety once I’ve fallen asleep.

Simply Red 03-24-2018 10:09 AM

Yes I have

Simply Red 03-24-2018 10:09 AM

not a fan.

listopencil 03-24-2018 10:36 AM

Your place is haunted. Call an exorcist or a witch doctor or something.

bdj23 03-24-2018 10:39 AM

All the ****ing time.

I've had a few times I've woken up screaming having a nightmare that someone was breaking into my place.

My cat almost got a gun pulled on him the other night, heard some commotion and the blinds on the sliding door rustling like crazy. Woke up, jumped out of bed to grab my gun, turned on the lights and the cat started hissing and ran off.

I never sleep well.

TimeForWasp 03-24-2018 10:39 AM

I am more worried that my brain might be haunted.

Over Yonder 03-24-2018 10:41 AM

I have found that if you drink a case of beer before bedtime, nothing will wake you.

But, maybe that's just me :shrug:

:D

TimeForWasp 03-24-2018 10:42 AM

It has happened to me often enough now, that it still startles me awake, but as soon as I'm awake , I know it's nothing but am very puzzled what is causing it.

bdj23 03-24-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 13486471)
I have found that if you drink a case of beer before bedtime, nothing will wake you.

But, maybe that's just me :shrug:

:D

The only way i sleep all throughout the night is if i am drunk.

Rausch 03-24-2018 10:45 AM

I'd say it's a reality 2 to 3 times a week.

Not a dream, just standard...

Over Yonder 03-24-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13486476)
The only way i sleep all throughout the night is if i am drunk.

Yea, I generally don't sleep well either. I blame it on working 2nd shift. Seems like about the time I'm getting into a good sleep, the sun starts coming through the curtains.

To the OP, I don't recall having the knocking one, but from time to time, I have that dream/sensation of falling. I wake up startled there. Don't know why. I have a decent fear of heights but not the kind where I just lock up and shart my pants, just a general uneasy if you follow. I dunno.

Tombstone RJ 03-24-2018 10:57 AM

I always sleep good, but I’m a light sleeper too, so it doesn’t take much to wake me up. Best of both worlds imho

Rausch 03-24-2018 10:58 AM

I have always been an insomniac. About 10 or 15 years ago when I lived in my grandmother's house I had a very odd deal.

Our waterbed (remember those!?) had busted so we had to sleep on the floor. My right shoulder was pointed towards the door and at one point I woke up and saw someone leaning over me.

Looked completely solid but completely black. It leaned over and then turned it's head the way a dog would when confused. Cocked, to the side.

My wife said "It's nothing, go back to sleep" and the odd thing was I did.

I'd normally blast my pants and turn every light on in the house after something like that. NO WAY would I go back to sleep.

But I turned my back to it and immediately went to sleep...