ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs In depth article into Larry Johnson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312287)

okiedokieokoye 12-12-2017 05:38 PM

In depth article into Larry Johnson

1 Attachment(s)
Very long, but very interesting. He believes he is living with CTE and struggles to not think about suicide.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/spo...=.1fbfbd72a552

“I could be Aaron Hernandez,” Johnson says, and indeed he sees the former Patriots star as a kindred spirit as much as a cautionary tale.

KCrockaholic 12-12-2017 05:41 PM

I thought he was doing better and found god and all that stuff since he retired.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2017 05:50 PM

:(

Hammock Parties 12-12-2017 05:51 PM

Damn.

Quote:

Jaylen doesn’t know much about that part of her Papi’s life, in part because Johnson thinks his daughter is too young to understand how football brought him both glory and ruin. But it’s also because there are widening chunks of his career that he can’t remember: Two full NFL seasons have disappeared from his memory, he says, and even some of his most memorable plays have grown hazy.

Which is why, in the past few years, Johnson has begun making video compilations of his football highlights, in part as reminders to himself that he was involved in them — but also, when she’s ready, as a time capsule for Jaylen.

Hammock Parties 12-12-2017 05:55 PM

welp...LJ is probably lucky to be alive

Quote:

Johnson could be cheerful and social at times, sullen and isolated at others. He collected slights and bad habits, to say nothing of the guns he kept strapped to his shoulders at high-end restaurants or under the seat of his white Bentley. Some nights he’d fire rounds into strangers’ lawns or palm a pistol at a gas station, he says, hoping someone would challenge him for a late-night lesson in toughness.

cosmo20002 12-12-2017 05:55 PM

Not sure about his rep in college and before, but he was a dick early in his NFL career. Can't blame everything on CTE.

Deberg_1990 12-12-2017 05:55 PM

Is he still cakn Patna ?

ClevelandBronco 12-12-2017 05:58 PM

As I become more aware of this kind of stuff, I wonder when (or if) I'll stop watching football because of it.

Red Dawg 12-12-2017 06:20 PM

I will never stop watching football. Larry is just crazy. Sone people are just born that way.

HemiEd 12-12-2017 06:31 PM

Thanks for posting that link, good read and I don't hate him anymore.

In fact, I feel bad for him. Herm did him no favors.

chiefzilla1501 12-12-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 13279388)
As I become more aware of this kind of stuff, I wonder when (or if) I'll stop watching football because of it.

I don't think that will. But injuries might. Two playoff teams losing a qb to an acl injury, one being a strong super bowl contender. Superstars leaving games for concussion protocol when you least expect it. Good sports watching is about watching the best players on the field. Lately, every game especially later in the season has become a game of roulette. No matter what, it's inexcusable that the NFL has done such a poor job figuring this out.

Discuss Thrower 12-12-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 13279381)
Not sure about his rep in college and before, but he was a dick early in his NFL career. Can't blame everything on CTE.

I would assume he wasn't a stranger to booze or other substances, too.

DJJasonp 12-12-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 13279381)

but......it's not like the NFL was his first experience with getting his bell rung from football.

There's probably 6-10 years of football prior to the NFL.

Professional athletes tend to have a higher testosterone to begin with, then throw in 1,000s of violent collisions over a lifetime.......it's not hard to see how someone could be a little "off", if you will.

Reerun_KC 12-12-2017 06:49 PM

Herm did this kid no favors. He did everything is his power to ruin LJ nfl career.

The Franchise 12-12-2017 06:54 PM

I used to love watching him run the ball.