ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach’s approach: “**** it, why not?” (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311748)

Dante84 11-22-2017 04:38 PM

Brett Veach’s approach: “**** it, why not?”

CJ Spiller
Cam Erving
Reggie Ragland
Darrelle Revis

See the pattern? Veach signs previously highly touted prospects or players, for cheap, to see what they can do for us.

He isn’t afraid to kick them to the curb, as we saw with Spiller multiple times, or demote them, as we saw with Erving. He’s also not afraid to promote them, as we’ve seen with Ragland.

As long as we aren’t too loyal to these guys and take appropriate action based on their performance (and not on potential), I’m fine with it.

patteeu 11-22-2017 04:40 PM

I don't think Veach has anything to do with demoting people from the starting lineup or promoting them into it, for that matter.

But I'm fine with the activity and hope some of it pans out.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-22-2017 04:42 PM

I hope we cut Revis right before games and sign him right afterward every week like we did Spiller. Might teach him a lesson.

Dante84 11-22-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13233404)
I don't think Veach has anything to do with demoting people from the starting lineup or promoting them into it, for that matter.

But I'm fine with the activity and hope some of it pans out.

Ah, yeah, fair point. At least he trusts Reid to make that decision, and doesn’t seem to be forcing his hand one way or the other.

Gravedigger 11-22-2017 04:47 PM

You also have to understand that Veach was thrown into this spot due to a shocking preseason ouster of Dorsey. He's making moves, you can't be a brat kid and have it both ways, judge him on the moves later, right now he's trying to get shit done.

scho63 11-22-2017 05:50 PM

http://products.dorma.com/var/produc...lider_zoom.jpg

MMXcalibur 11-22-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13233516)

What does Eric Fisher have to do with this?

thegame214 11-22-2017 06:01 PM

Veach is like Nagy.

Faces of positions but Andy is GM/HC.

Titty Meat 11-22-2017 06:26 PM

The Patriots do the exact same thing and it's worked.

oldman 11-22-2017 07:43 PM

Low risk, potential for high reward is what a good GM is supposed to do.

pugsnotdrugs19 11-22-2017 07:49 PM

I like the approach because it represents the philosophy of eliminating 'what ifs'...

If you can improve your team potentially and give up very little in return as Veach has for guys like Revis and Ragland, go for it. Be aggressive.

You can't win championships being conservative on the field, and you won't win them being conservative in personnel management either.

Chiefshrink 11-22-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 13233421)
You also have to understand that Veach was thrown into this spot due to a shocking preseason ouster of Dorsey. He's making moves, you can't be a brat kid and have it both ways, judge him on the moves later, right now he's trying to get shit done.

For all we know Andy could be calling the shots PERIOD and BV is just a yes man.:hmmm:

TwistedChief 11-22-2017 07:53 PM

A lot of mock drafts had us picking Erving and Ragland in the first or second round. They haven't been successful at a professional level but they have their own narratives that explain part of that, and getting them for later round picks seems entirely reasonable all considered. Spiller was harmless and Revis is a low risk addition.

I don't really judge Veach until next year. He's basically been in triage since his promotion.

Chiefshrink 11-22-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13233564)
The Patriots do the exact same thing and it's worked.

Pats have very good "football eyes" in their scouting dept. and know exactly what type of player they are looking for that fits their offensive and defensive schemes that give that player the best opportunity to succeed and that is key. Knowing your system and what type of players will work in your system as opposed to just throwing darts to see what sticks as most teams do.

pugsnotdrugs19 11-22-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 13233657)
A lot of mock drafts had us picking Erving and Ragland in the first or second round. They haven't been successful at a professional level but they have their own narratives that explain part of that, and getting them for later round picks seems entirely reasonable all considered. Spiller was harmless and Revis is a low risk addition.

I don't really judge Veach until next year. He's basically been in triage since his promotion.

Ragland's arrow is pointing up right now, Erving not as much but he was a more long term play anyways... I like those types of moves. High upside.