ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Why don't any teams run the Saunders offense? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311243)

bobbything 11-01-2017 11:56 AM

Why don't any teams run the Saunders offense?

I was thinking about this because of how much I hate our current offensive scheme. Loathe it. Andy maybe I'm partial to it because it was the greatest offense the Chiefs ever had, but I was watching some clips from that team, as well as looking up some stats, and I honestly can't believe no teams run it.

The one thing that stood out to me was that while the Chiefs scored practically at will, they were always way up there in time of possession. That combination, alone, would make you think someone would want to build an offense around Saunders' system.

Anyway, I look forward to more 1st and goals from the 3, lining up in the shotgun, and doing a fake jet sweep option reverse to our third string tight end.

O.city 11-01-2017 11:59 AM

They had a great offensive line, a very good qb, a great rb and the beat tight end to ever play the game.

Tough to run that offense without the ol

threebag 11-01-2017 12:00 PM

Jimmy Raye needs your love too

Kman34 11-01-2017 12:02 PM

The QB has to have a lot of time to run that Offense.... that's why we spent a shit ton of money on the O-line and none on the defense....

Aspengc8 11-01-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13191229)
They had a great offensive line, a very good qb, a great rb and the beat tight end to ever play the game.

Tough to run that offense without the ol

100% this.

Hoover 11-01-2017 12:08 PM

our current offensive scheme is pretty damn good if you ask me.

rockymtnchief 11-01-2017 12:11 PM

This isn't the Arena League!-Herm Edwards

bobbything 11-01-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 13191241)
100% this.

Let's be honest...Trent Green was fairly unproven when we acquired him. Priest Holmes we picked up for nothing and wasn't supposed to be a starter. Eddie Kennison was just trying to stay alive in the league. Gonzalez and Shields were really our only proven players.

Edit: And I'm not suggesting we run that offense with our current personnel. Just curious why other teams haven't tried to replicate the scheme. I loved watching all the pre-snap shifting to try and reveal the defense. Lots of guard and center pulls to the edge. Lots of misdirection RB screens. Lots and lots and lots of play action. Just don't see anything like it, really.

Pitt Gorilla 11-01-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13191265)
Let's be honest...Trent Green was fairly unproven when we acquired him. Priest Holmes we picked up for nothing and wasn't supposed to be a starter. Eddie Kennison was just trying to stay alive in the league. Gonzalez and Shields were really our only proven players.

Roaf wasn’t a proven player? That offensive line was one of the best ever.

bobbything 11-01-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13191269)
Roaf wasn’t a proven player? That offensive line was one of the best ever.

We picked him up in 2002. I should have clarified with the Gonzalez and Shields mentions...I used them because I was talking about players that were here prior to Vermeil. But yes, as far as players we picked up, Roaf was one of the best.

DaneMcCloud 11-01-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13191222)
I was thinking about this because of how much I hate our current offensive scheme

There are several teams currently running the Coryell/Zampese, most prominently, the Dallas Cowboys.

The Redskins, Cleveland and Cincinnati all run it as well.

Clyde Frog 11-01-2017 12:24 PM

The Worm

BlackHelicopters 11-01-2017 12:34 PM

MOAR

Bob Dole 11-01-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 13191272)
We picked him up in 2002. I should have clarified with the Gonzalez and Shields mentions...I used them because I was talking about players that were here prior to Vermeil. But yes, as far as players we picked up, Roaf was one of the best.

You're the main reason I go to The View website for football takes now.

tooge 11-01-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13191276)
There are several teams currently running the Coryell/Zampese, most prominently, the Dallas Cowboys.

The Redskins, Cleveland and Cincinnati all run it as well.

It's working wonders for Cleveland