ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs John Dorsey and the Eric Berry decision (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310719)

Direckshun 10-10-2017 10:43 AM

John Dorsey and the Eric Berry decision

Yet another reason I think John Dorsey was the best GM the Chiefs have ever had is that he seems to be proven right about this team so far when it came to the Eric Berry deal.

Eric Berry cost this team a gigantic chunk of change -- and he's well worth it. He's the best safety in the league and a true locker room leader and the face of the franchise.

I forget where I read it, but wasn't it a rumor that the Berry negotiations were a huge sticking point with Clark Hunt getting worn down on Dorsey?

Berry wanted a massive payday, and Dorsey was balking, on the verge of letting him go. It got to the point, so say the rumors, that Berry wasn't even talking to the team until Clark himself had to step in.

Well, what if Dorsey hadn't paid Berry? And let Berry walk?

Seriously, I'm asking.

Berry played a magnificent game against Gronk, but the Chiefs are 4-0 without him, stifling Wentz, Rivers, Cousins, and Watson.

Obviously we're only 5 games into the season, but isn't John Dorsey looking like he's been proven correct on this call so far?

EDIT: Can a mod fix my thread title? LMAO Please and thank you.

InChiefsHeaven 10-10-2017 10:45 AM

So, you're saying that John Dorsey possibly knew that Berry would go down with injury? I mean...what?

threebag 10-10-2017 10:46 AM

Reads like a DeBerg thread

RealSNR 10-10-2017 10:53 AM

With Berry healthy, this is a defense FOR SURE good enough to win a Super Bowl.

Without him... well, we're going to need to catch a break somewhere down the line. Maybe that comes by way of Steven Nelson getting healthy and actually contributing in December and the playoffs. Or maybe Murray just "figures it out" throughout the season, which can happen all the time to young players. Yeah, the defense is playing fine-ish, but I don't know if our offense can keep up in the playoffs when the defenses start to take control and win games for teams.

sedated 10-10-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 13140243)
So, you're saying that John Dorsey possibly knew that Berry would go down with injury? I mean...what?

No. Dorsey didn't think Berry would be a huge loss, especially at his price tag. Clark disagreed, and the deal got done. Now Berry is gone for the year and Chiefs are 4-0 without him. Does this prove Dorsey was ultimately right? And therefore it was a mistake for Clark to let him go?

farmerchief 10-10-2017 10:55 AM

Don't know how his contract reads, but it should have been heavily laden with games played incentives

Direckshun 10-10-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 13140243)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13140263)
No. Dorsey didn't think Berry would be a huge loss, especially at his price tag. Clark disagreed, and the deal got done. Now Berry is gone for the year and Chiefs are 4-0 without him. Does this prove Dorsey was ultimately right? And therefore it was a mistake for Clark to let him go?

Exactly.

Eleazar 10-10-2017 11:17 AM

Kind of a silly question to even be asking. There's no way to answer this question until we know how healthy Berry turns out to be over the next six years.

Direckshun 10-10-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13140334)
Kind of a silly question to even be asking. There's no way to answer this question until we know how healthy Berry turns out to be over the next six years.

We can't know until the dust settles, sure.

But right now, indications are favoring Dorsey's analysis over Clark's.

Direckshun 10-10-2017 11:20 AM

Kind of weird how the two controversial calls that wore out Dorsey's welcome (according to unverified rumors), not re-signing Eric Berry and cutting Maclin, are currently both looking like reasonable deals.

Rausch 10-10-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13140343)
Kind of weird how the two controversial calls that wore out Dorsey's welcome (according to unverified rumors), not re-signing Eric Berry and cutting Maclin, are currently both looking like reasonable deals.

He inflated our cap by waiting until a player had made the leap to sign them.

Every time we had a FA we had to fork it out because we gambled wrong.

The late round draft picks look good but the expensive early round picks mostly failed.

The UDFA's look great but the known talent should have been extended/singed earlier to save $$$.

He was excellent at the bottom dollar guys and completely ****ed up with the top dollar guys...

sedated 10-10-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13140343)
cutting Maclin, are currently both looking like reasonable deals.

Eh, its an injury situation, but would be nice to have Maclin back now that Conley is done for the year.

sedated 10-10-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13140381)
The late round draft picks look good but the expensive early round picks mostly failed.

What? Dorsey got one of the few salvageable picks when he got Fischer out of that dumpster fire of a draft. Kelsey in the 3rd. Peters and Morse in 2015. Jones in 2016.

Rausch 10-10-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13140400)
What? Dorsey got one of the few salvageable picks when he got Fischer out of that dumpster fire of a draft. Kelsey in the 3rd. Peters and Morse in 2015. Jones in 2016.

You didn't actually read the post, did you?...

Buckweath 10-10-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13140381)
He inflated our cap by waiting until a player had made the leap to sign them.

Every time we had a FA we had to fork it out because we gambled wrong.

The UDFA's look great but the known talent should have been extended/singed earlier to save $$$.

He was excellent at the bottom dollar guys and completely ****ed up with the top dollar guys...

I disagree with your take and we can't know for sure.

It seems to me from what I read that Dorsey was trying to resign many players (Poe, Houston, Hudson, etc.) before they made their leap as you say but those players are confident in their ability and know that with a big year they will get the big payday. So it turns out that a lot of them on the uptrend won't accept anything less than a big payday even before they make the big leap and ovbiously will want the big payday once they have made the leap.

I am a really big fan of Dorsey. This being said, one of the few mistakes that he possibly did was to give that huge contract to Houston and not tag him. I just think it is not sound business to give a contract to a player who is just off a career year, got 22 sacks and is unlikely to repeat that.