ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Likely baseless rumor: Luck wants out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310077)

DJ's left nut 09-14-2017 10:05 AM

Likely baseless rumor: Luck wants out

It's mostly just some Twitter rumbling and an article here and there in Indy, but there are some quiet rumors (evidently over Luck's objection) that suggest that he may want out.

So the question becomes, what is the trade value of a quarterback who may not be healthy at any point this year and will be 29 next year, who has a bit of an alarming injury history now and who's contract is now not an asset of any sort?

Is it a kings ransom kind of deal; like could/should Cleveland offer that absurd haul of picks they have in the coming year+ for him. Or is it far less than that due to the injury concerns, contract and the fact that he's simply not a young QB anymore?

Now onto the Chiefs related question - if the Colts approach us in the off-season and offer him for Smith and Mahomes (Smith would presumably be necessary for cap purposes on our end), what's the consensus?

Personally, if the medicals check out, I pull the trigger and not think twice. It would theoretically shorten our window by it may also push it open wider in the coming years. Then again, that contract also likely costs us Marcus Peters given that he'd be a FA prior to Mahomes needing to be paid. Maybe Hill. Maybe Jones. Maybe Morse. The bottom line is that it will cost us at least one member of this young core in all likelihood.

So do you spin the wheel and take your chances that Mahomes can be 90% as good as Luck while being healthier and cheaper? Or do you grab the guy who looked like potentially the best QB in football at times and worry about the consequences later?

It's a closer call than I imagined it might be at first blush.

eDave 09-14-2017 10:06 AM

I like Mahomes over Luck. By a large margin.

**** Luck

ptlyon 09-14-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Now onto the Chiefs related question - if the Colts approach us in the off-season and offer him for Smith and Mahomes (Smith would presumably be necessary for cap purposes on our end), what's the consensus?
JFC :facepalm:

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 10:07 AM

At this point, I wouldn't touch him.

In addition to the shoulder injury, which has taken far longer than expected to heal, I've heard that he's having mental issues and that he may not want to continue playing in the NFL.

Once that type of doubt occurs, careers are usually over.

Hammock Parties 09-14-2017 10:08 AM

At least two second round picks.

If Mahomie wasn't here I'd be all for it. He would be PHENOMENAL behind this OL.

Eleazar 09-14-2017 10:11 AM

No.

Obviously, the odds are against Mahomes (or anyone) becoming an elite quarterback and Luck, when healthy, is an elite quarterback.

But with his age, injury history, baggage, and the fact that signs look good on Mahomes so far - I'll stick with our guy. We've made our bet, let it ride.

(Apart from this, some QB-poor team will give up a stupid haul for him and probably not end up better off for it.)

Pablo 09-14-2017 10:12 AM

Shoulder injury is just a big no-go. I'd roll with what we have and not give it a second thought.

Mahomes has the potential to be awesome in this league and is younger and healthy.

ToxSocks 09-14-2017 10:12 AM

Pass. I'll roll with Mahomes. At this point Luck has shown that he's injury prone, takes too many big hits and he's not exactly the messiah that he was pegged to be.

DJ's left nut 09-14-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080156)
At this point, I wouldn't touch him.

In addition to the shoulder injury, which has taken far longer than expected to heal, I've heard that he's having mental issues and that he may not want to continue playing in the NFL.

Once that type of doubt occurs, careers are usually over.

Right?

I first saw it and thought "nah, we can't get him".

Then I thought a little longer and wondered....well, does anyone have a better offer to make? Wentz would be more valuable than Mahomes...but Ballard was in that war room while they were getting together on Mahomes. The Titans won't move Mariotta and I don't think the Bucs would move Winston.

I still think Mahomes is the top of this year's QB class. When the Jets inevitably get 1.1, that would be more valuable than Mahomes would be and they're a splashy enough team that they'd almost certainly pull the trigger on that pick for Luck (and probably should). But apart from 1.1, I don't see a truly better offer than we could make with Mahomes. And so the question is no longer 'can we?' but rather 'should we?'.

The contract, shoulder and rumors of football fatigue can't just be ignored, can they?

Like I said, I make the deal. But it isn't quite as facially ridiculous as it appears at first glance. There are some genuine concerns there.

eDave 09-14-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13080163)
No.

Obviously, the odds are against Mahomes (or anyone) becoming an elite quarterback and Luck, when healthy, is an elite quarterback.

But with his age, injury history, baggage, and the fact that signs look good on Mahomes so far - I'll stick with our guy. We've made our bet, let it ride.

(Apart from this, some QB-poor team will give up a stupid haul for him and probably not end up better off for it.)

You really think so?

ToxSocks 09-14-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13080163)
Luck, when healthy, is an elite quarterback.

Eh, i think that's debateable.

O.city 09-14-2017 10:15 AM

Luck the prospect va luck the pro is a little different to me. Granted he's been good and won some games, but at this point, can't you pretty easily say he's underachieved and hasn't become what he was suppose to?

DJ's left nut 09-14-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13080170)
You really think so?

Of course they are. The odds are against ANYONE becoming an elite quarterback, even Luck.

There are a million different ways a quarterback can just miss being truly great. Prior to last year, a guy like Matt Ryan is firmly in that group (and hell, with Shanahan gone he looked more like the good but not great player he'd been in years past last week).

Yeah, the odds of any quarterback ascending into that truly elite tier are extremely long.

O.city 09-14-2017 10:17 AM

I'll take my chances with Mahomes and his rookie deal I think

O.city 09-14-2017 10:18 AM

If I were Denver, I'd offer them Von and a first