ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV This Is Us (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306021)

KChiefs1 02-16-2017 12:21 PM

This Is Us

I'm getting pressure from my significant other to start watching this. She seems to think it's the best show on TV & wants to watch it with me. I can probably binge watch it this weekend & be caught up with her by next week's show.

Opinions...is it really that good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Franchise 02-16-2017 12:30 PM

I've caught a couple of episodes because my wife watches it.

It's ****ing boring as shit. At least Mandy Moore looks hot in it though.

KChiefs1 02-16-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12743671)
I've caught a couple of episodes because my wife watches it.

It's ****ing boring as shit. At least Mandy Moore looks hot in it though.

I assume it's a chick show right?

keg in kc 02-16-2017 01:05 PM

I've seen ads for it during Blindspot. It looks brutal.

The Franchise 02-16-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12743723)
I assume it's a chick show right?

Uhhh yeah. It's definitely a chick show.

displacedinMN 02-16-2017 05:10 PM

It is a chick show. But the writing/style is quite interesting.

Things that happen to the parents in the 80's happen to the kids today. They are facing the same struggles.

The first episode has a great twist. The writing for all shows is great. Did get a little mad when I had to watch the Chiefs get killed vs the Steelers on a Sunday night game. The main characters are from Pitt and are typical Steelers fans. The game is shown as part of an episode. It comes into the show as part of the story line.

I live in a house of all women. Wife-two daughters.
Nice family drama. It is needed with all the other sex/crap on tv. At least it can prove that your family is not the only one that has issues.

Clyde Frog 02-16-2017 05:47 PM

100% chick show. My GF loves it and I watch it sparingly while she has it on.

I really want to punch the handyman at the fat camp in the face. fucking douchebag.

Baby Lee 02-16-2017 06:41 PM

It's a Jason Katims drama. This means if you liked the storytelling of Friday Night Lights or Parenthood, this will probably be in your wheelhouse, even if it has the family serialized drama hallmarks of a chick show.

He also helmed Roswell, Boston Public and My So Called Life.

Generally [ie, the Katims blueprint] the scene is very talented and photogenic actors playing romantic and sibling family components and encounter life trials viewers can relate to as a group.

Specifically [and this spoils the early storytelling a bit if you don't want to read it]

Spoiler!

So as you see, lots of details to draw on. It's blatantly heartstring-pulling and occasionally schmaltzy. But it's also expertly done, and well acted by attractive people.

One of those shows where it's not so much WHAT it's about, as it is HOW WELL it is about it.

displacedinMN 02-16-2017 08:12 PM

Friday Night Lights was awesome

eDave 02-16-2017 08:20 PM

If I have to watch The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills, you can watch this shit show. In fact, I envy you.

JD10367 02-16-2017 08:28 PM

I watched the first episode. I found the time twist intriguing. After that, I was bored as shit by the next few. Then I realized the show had suddenly become a must-watch media darling among housewives and immediately stopped watching. I don't like being told I have to watch something because it's teh awesum. But it was cool seeing the "Smallville" Green Arrow guy doing something other than that role.

KChiefs1 02-17-2017 07:54 AM

I'll watch it this weekend I guess. Thanks guys.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-17-2017 08:09 AM

Baby delivers the killshot...no thanks to more of the same network garbage.

Baby Lee 02-17-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12745133)
I'll watch it this weekend I guess. Thanks guys.

Warning - Katims has skills as a storyteller. So you'll sit there mid-episode saying 'aw ****, this dude is gonna make me cry again with some bullshit.' And it will empirically be schmaltzy bullshit. But in the moment, it's so expertly executed from a writing and performance standpoint, damned if you don't mist up anyway.

A way to know if you are susceptible. In the premiere, Gerald McRaney plays a wise and world-weary obstetrician counseling the parents through the difficult birthing process. He does enough in his 20 minutes or so on screen to lock up a guest star Emmy right off the bat. If the room doesn't get a little dusty at some point, the show probably isn't for you. That's most of the allure of the show, knowing your heartstrings will be shamelessly pulled, but knowing it will work anyway.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-17-2017 04:26 PM

it's an interesting concept...