ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Lets expand the conversation: "Let our QBoTF sit for a few years" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305699)

Molitoth 02-02-2017 12:53 PM

Lets expand the conversation: "Let our QBoTF sit for a few years"

As much as I love Aaron Rodgers, this trending opinion around Chiefs fans that Rodgers sets the new model of how to find a QBOTF is annoying.

Yes, Rodgers sat behind Favre until he got his turn. Did those seasons on the bench help him develop or were they just a wasted portion of his career?
How much worth is bench time over actual in game/in practice reps?

Some questions:

Does QBOTF need to learn pocket presence from Alex Smith? I sure hope not. What about how to lead receivers and throw a deep ball? Kill me now.
Maybe he can learn pre-snap defensive reads from Alex Smith?... What are the coaches for again? Learn how to throw a bubble screen? Hopefully the prospect learned this in High school...

I'm not seeing much benefit in sitting this prospect to learn from a career mediocre QB. I see much more benefit getting him quality snaps and real in game experience... especially while the current Defensive window is open.

Here is a list of CURRENT NFL QB's that have had very respectable to amazing ROOKIE seasons.

Jameis Winston - 16 GP, 58.3% comp., 4,042 yards, 22 TDs, 15 INTs, 54 carries, 213 rushing yards, 6 TDs.

Andy Dalton - 16 GP, 58.1% comp., 3,398 yards, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 37 carries, 152 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Andrew Luck - 16 GP, 54.1% comp., 4,374 yards, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 62 carries, 255 rushing yards, 5 TDs.

Matt Ryan - 16 GP, 61.1% comp., 3,440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 55 carries, 104 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Russell Wilson - 16 GP, 64.1% comp., 3,118 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 94 carries, 489 rushing yards, 4 TDs.

Cam Newton - 16 GP, 60.0% comp., 4,051 yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 126 carries, 706 rushing yards, 14 TDs.

RG3 - 15 GP, 65.4% comp., 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 120 carries, 815 rushing yards, 7 TDs.

Ben Roethlisberger - 14 GP, 66.4% comp., 2,621 yards, 17 TDs, 11 INTs, 56 carries, 144 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Would anyone be opposed to these starting QB's?
Dak Prescott
Carson Wentz
Marcus Mariota
Derek Carr

Discuss.

The Franchise 02-02-2017 12:55 PM

I'm sure he would have no problem replicating Smith's 15 TDs.

O.city 02-02-2017 12:57 PM

In the past, when you sat a guy it was because the rest of the team sucked, you were drafting early, took a QB and didn't want him to get mutilated.

If the Chiefs can improve the LG spot, maybe get another RB and TE, why can't a rookie succeed with the talent the Chiefs have now?

If they take one early, he needs to play. You learn to play from playing, plus the contractual implications of having a cheap QB etc.

KC_Lee 02-02-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12722661)
In the past, when you sat a guy it was because the rest of the team sucked, you were drafting early, took a QB and didn't want him to get mutilated.

If the Chiefs can improve the LG spot, maybe get another RB and TE, why can't a rookie succeed with the talent the Chiefs have now?

If they take one early, he needs to play. You learn to play from playing, plus the contractual implications of having a cheap QB etc.

QFT.

Given the pieces on the current KC roster, starting a QBOTF out of the gate would be less of an issue than say a team that just went 3 - 13 and is devoid of talent.

The Franchise 02-02-2017 12:59 PM

I'm all for cutting/trading Smith, letting Foles play on his current deal, and drafting a QB in the 1st round (like Mahomes). Let Mahomes and Foles battle it out in TC and the winner starts.

O.city 02-02-2017 01:03 PM

Or let Smith and Mahomes (or insert qb) do it.

At this point, I'm on the Romo bandwagon. If they don't like any of the Qbs in this years class, lets see what Tony could do here.

Molitoth 02-02-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12722661)

I agree. Say you are in a shithole of a situation such as the Browns. I can see the relevance to sitting your QBoTF until you get some surrounding positions solidified...

The Chiefs thankfully are NOT Void of talent and do not fit this scenario.

loochy 02-02-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12722666)
I'm all for cutting/trading Smith, letting Foles play on his current deal, and drafting a QB in the 1st round (like Mahomes). Let Mahomes and Foles battle it out in TC and the winner starts.

OMG just talking about it makes me throb.

Mr. Laz 02-02-2017 01:18 PM

Cutting Smith leaves too much dead money.

Keep Smith one more year
Draft a stud QB IF there is one there

Give young QB every chance to win starting job NEXT year.

smooth transition, don't turn our young QB into David Carr

hey, maybe the young guy dominates and takes Smith job the 1st year. You don't plan on your 1st-year guy doing that.

Hydrae 02-02-2017 01:19 PM

If sitting a QB for a couple of years is the answer then we should be about ready to unleash Bray on the rest of the league! :D

Molitoth 02-02-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12722698)

Keep Smith one more year

hey, maybe the young guy dominates and takes Smith job the 1st year. You don't plan on your 1st-year guy doing that.

Shouldn't we be giving players a chance to win the job EVERY YEAR?
The Seahawks did it and found Russell Wilson.

Does anyone honestly think Foles/Bray/Hogan had ANY chance at actually being named the starting QB over a guy making so much money?

HemiEd 02-02-2017 01:27 PM

It is fun dreaming about drafting the QBOTf. Maybe it is just me, but experience tells me this our next QB.

http://i65.tinypic.com/oqvi9k.jpg

Urc Burry 02-02-2017 01:30 PM

I think trading Smith is a possibility. The most obvious team is the jets. They have a decent team around them. Decent line, decent wr corp. Bowles will be coaching for his job this year. Fitz is done, and then it's Hackenburg or Petty.

In that scenario you can restructure/extend Foles for cheaper then what he is currently at and draft a qb in the first round. That is my dream scenario. If said QB isn't ready to go to start the year you roll with Foles and let it play out

KC_Lee 02-02-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12722707)
It is fun dreaming about drafting the QBOTf. Maybe it is just me, but experience tells me this our next QB.

http://i65.tinypic.com/oqvi9k.jpg

Let's take this idea and...

http://i.imgur.com/mnPuqZS.gif

Shall we??

oldman 02-02-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12722698)

Keep Smith one more year

I agree. I'm not real wild about this year's QB class, Mahomes being the best of the bunch, IMO. Foles isn't the answer. I'd rather see Bray step up and take that #2 spot and see what he has. If he doesn't, draft a QB in 2018.