ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Bob Sutton isn't the problem (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302642)

chiefzilla1501 10-04-2016 04:09 PM

Bob Sutton isn't the problem

Hearing a lot of criticism of Sutton. Here's something interesting to consider. Sutton has been here 4 years. He's had 3 stretches where he's had to play some really bad cornerbacks:
-8 games with Marcus Cooper in 2013
-3-4 games in 2015 with Sean Smith out on injury, a rookie Marcus Peters, and Jamel Fleming getting picked on
-1 game this year with DJ White

Other than those 12-13 games, you know how many times Sutton gave up more than 20 points? 3 times. That means for 2/3 of the games, we've had a good to phenomenal defense.

For those who say he's shit the bed against great offenses. When he's had a mostly full cast, prior to this year he's done well against Pittsburgh twice, dominated NE (then did halfway decent in the playoffs against Denver), dominated San Diego almost every time, dominated Detroit, did very well against Seattle and Arizona. The only team that's had his number consistently outside of those 12-13 games is Peyton Manning.

I know he's flawed. When he has puke at the #2 CB, he can't adjust. But those who want him fired are spoiled. He's been awesome most of his time in KC.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-04-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12466207)
Hearing a lot of criticism of Sutton. Here's something interesting to consider. Sutton has been here 4 years. He's had 3 stretches where he's had to play some really bad cornerbacks:
-8 games with Marcus Cooper in 2013
-3-4 games in 2015 with Sean Smith out on injury, a rookie Marcus Peters, and Jamel Fleming getting picked on
-1 game this year with DJ White

Other than those 12-13 games, you know how many times Sutton gave up more than 20 points? 3 times. That means for 2/3 of the games, we've had a good to phenomenal defense.

For those who say he's shit the bed against great offenses. When he's had a mostly full cast, prior to this year he's done well against Pittsburgh twice, dominated NE (then did halfway decent in the playoffs against Denver), dominated San Diego almost every time, dominated Detroit, did very well against Seattle and Arizona. The only team that's had his number consistently outside of those 12-13 games is Peyton Manning.

I know he's flawed. When he has puke at the #2 CB, he can't adjust. But those who want him fired are spoiled. He's been awesome most of his time in KC.

:clap: It cracks me up listening to people bitch about Sutton. We know his flaws. His results speak for themselves.

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2016 04:25 PM

Laz will put a hit on you for this thread

dannybcaitlyn 10-04-2016 04:28 PM

I wanted to fire him or demote him once Wade Phillips became available.

kcpasco 10-04-2016 04:33 PM

I'll never forget how he looked like a deer in the headlights during the Indy playoff collapse.

CaliforniaChief 10-04-2016 04:33 PM

I agree. I watched DJ White in person at the preseason game against the Rams. He was lost. I can't believe he's starting or playing significantly.

notorious 10-04-2016 04:35 PM

If the offense produces anything, Sutton looks much better.

RealSNR 10-04-2016 04:37 PM

I've been hearing in the years he's been here that "Sutton doesn't make halftime adjustments!"

The only reason people say he doesn't make adjustments is because his defenses might continue to struggle throughout a game. I'd like to see a single defensive coordinator in this league that runs certain formations/concepts in one half, then says to himself, "Hmm. You know what, I've been thinking about this all wrong! If I just change _______ then my defense will actually become all-world and awesome! Whoda thunk it!?"

Criticizing Reid for offensive playcalling is easy because most people are watching offensive plays develop from snap to snap, and very few of them when watching a game in real time will focus on how the defense is picking up on routes and filling in gaps. Now, I'm admittedly not very adept at remembering which coverages we run and how often, but there are an insane amount of people on this forum that wouldn't know Cover-3 from a goddamn grapefruit, and they tend to be the same people who say, "Bob Sutton doesn't make adjustments in the game!" I'm willing to bet Sutton could make his defensive players wear ****ing clown wigs the rest of the game and not one of these assholes would notice it.

Aspengc8 10-04-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 12466273)
I'll never forget how he looked like a deer in the headlights during the Indy playoff collapse.

Oh, the game with both pass rushing olb's out for injury?

notorious 10-04-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12466292)

That one, but a drooling idiot could have figured out a way to keep the lead.

I personally would have told my DB's to hold every play. I could live with 5 yards and time off the clock every play.

The defense did exactly what Indy needed to do happen for them to come back.

kcpasco 10-04-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12466296)
That one, but a drooling idiot could have figured out a way to keep the lead.

I personally would have told my DB's to hold every play. I could live with 5 yards and time off the clock every play.

The defense did exactly what Indy needed to do happen for them to come back.

Refs won't see every hold either.

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 12466274)
I agree. I watched DJ White in person at the preseason game against the Rams. He was lost. I can't believe he's starting or playing significantly.

What? DJ White outperformed Keivarie Russell, which is part of the reason he was cut. He also had a nice play against the Jets.

But keep in mind, he's a 6th rounder that's somewhat raw. I don't understand why Acker wasn't in that package but I guess that says more about Acker than White.

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12466292)

And Flowers was lost early in the 3rd quarter, too, not to mention Charles, Avery and in the 4th, Knile Davis with a broken leg.

It was a veritable MASH unit.

HemiEd 10-04-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12466277)
If the offense produces anything, Sutton looks much better.

Truth

Rasputin 10-04-2016 05:01 PM

Sutton and this defense will be better when Justin Houston returns because he is the missing piece to this defense.