ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D-1 history, dies at 64 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300604)

thabear04 06-28-2016 05:24 AM

Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D-1 history, dies at 64

May she rest in peace.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...ummitt-dies-64

Kman34 06-28-2016 05:52 AM

Sad news... One of my daughters role models, she played basketball and loved Tennessee basketball and thought Pat was the greatest...Turns out she was...The John Wooden of women's basketball... Rest In Peace.....

Red Dawg 06-28-2016 07:12 AM

You could make a case she is the best coach of all time in any sport. She could have coached chess teams and won and probably been a great NBA coach.

She was women's basketball plain and simple and there will never be a better coach. Tough loss for the sport.

Rasputin 06-28-2016 07:13 AM

This is a sad loss for the sports world. :(

Prison Bitch 06-28-2016 07:29 AM

She wil never be forgotten

mcaj22 06-28-2016 07:30 AM

Always thought she could coach an NBA team and win; and probably should have.

journeyscarab 06-28-2016 07:53 AM

RIP

scho63 06-28-2016 09:34 AM

Pat Summit and Buddy Ryan both gone on the same day. RIP

Were they secret lovers?

gblowfish 06-28-2016 09:45 AM

I met her back in the 1980's when I helped make Jesus videos for the FCA. Nice lady.

vailpass 06-28-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 12293177)
You could make a case she is the best coach of all time in any sport. She could have coached chess teams and won and probably been a great NBA coach.

She was women's basketball plain and simple and there will never be a better coach. Tough loss for the sport.

No you couldn't, not even close.
No, she wouldn't.

RobBlake 06-28-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12293368)
No, she wouldn't.

this. I get paying great respect and due towards someone who recently passed.. but lets not over romantize their abilities.

CanadianChiefs 06-28-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12293368)
No, she wouldn't.

You seem so sure about this. If he said the same thing about a male coach, you would probably say "It's a shame they didn't even try to coach in the NBA"

The reason you're so confident with your opinion is solely based on the fact she was (RIP) a woman. We have no idea how she would have done. Not me, not you.

vailpass 06-28-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChiefs (Post 12293391)
You seem so sure about this. If he said the same thing about a male coach, you would probably say "It's a shame they didn't even try to coach in the NBA"

The reason you're so confident with your opinion is solely based on the fact she was (RIP) a woman. We have no idea how she would have done. Not me, not you.

Shut up eh.

vailpass 06-28-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 12293375)
this. I get paying great respect and due towards someone who recently passed.. but lets not over romantize their abilities.

Yes, all due respect. And you're right, it's nice to eulogize someone.

But you can't compare apples and oranges.
College women's hoops is a very small talent pool. There are only 5-7 good teams and 1-2 teams dominate the recruiting and blow opponents out for years on end.
Calling her the greatest college coach of any sport ever is so over the top I can't even. Dan Gable is way ahead of her along with so many others it's not worth listing.

And thinking being able to coach women's college could in any way equate to being able to coach ****ing NBA, the greatest hoops league in the world, is plain dumb.

RobBlake 06-28-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChiefs (Post 12293391)

Idk. Phil Jackson is one of the Goats, but there's no guarantee he would have the same all time success in the WNBA. A good coach is a good coach, regardless of gender.

EDIT*

Largly due to different talent pool, lack of parity, etc.