ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thursday Night Football expanding (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297962)

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2016 02:55 PM

Thursday Night Football expanding

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...740-sf20097740

NEW YORK -- The National Football League will expand Thursday Night Football in 2016 and 2017, continuing its partnership with CBS while also adding NBC as a partner, it was announced today by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corp., and Steve Burke, CEO, NBC Universal.

Both CBS and NBC will broadcast five Thursday Night Football games, growing the package to 10 broadcast games in 2016 and 2017 from eight in 2014 and 2015. All Thursday Night Football broadcast games will continue to be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will also exclusively televise an eight-game schedule of regular season games comprised of Thursday Night Football, late-season games on Saturday, and additional games to be determined.

Both CBS and NBC will produce Thursday Night Football with their lead broadcasters and production teams, and both will contribute to the production of Thursday Night Football exclusively on NFL Network. CBS and NFL Network will televise the first half of the Thursday Night Football schedule with NBC and NFL Network televising the second half.

More at the link.

rabblerouser 02-01-2016 02:58 PM

Now put MNF back on ABC and maybe the NFL isn't quite as greedy as I thought.

Maybe.

chiefzilla1501 02-01-2016 03:11 PM

The best football is when two teams with their best players play a prepared game. Given the injury issues, it's amazing that the nfl wants to push more short rest games. Players with injuries who often can't heal a full week, two teams with short prep time, enormous home field advantage for the home team. But hey, the nfl makes a few more quick bucks.

Eleazar 02-01-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12058684)
The best football is when two teams with their best players play a prepared game. Given the injury issues, it's amazing that the nfl wants to push more short rest games. Players with injuries who often can't heal a full week, two teams with short prep time, enormous home field advantage for the home team. But hey, the nfl makes a few more quick bucks.

Roger wants the NFL on every night of the week

TLO 02-01-2016 03:13 PM

Thursday night football is awful.

rabblerouser 02-01-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter anymore. The NFL that we know and love is now dead.

rabblerouser 02-01-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li'l Smokey (Post 12058692)
Thursday night football is awful.

This year especially - MNF was ok, but man...TNF was simply unwatchable.

Toby Waller 02-01-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Thursday Night Football expanding....

to Friday nights too?

Toby Waller 02-01-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 12058693)
It doesn't matter anymore. The NFL that we know and love is now dead.

KC was losing before and after,so what's the difference?

you love losing less now?

loochy 02-01-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12058656)
Both CBS and NBC will produce Thursday Night Football with their lead broadcasters and production teams, and both will contribute to the production of Thursday Night Football exclusively on NFL Network. CBS and NFL Network will televise the first half of the Thursday Night Football schedule with NBC and NFL Network televising the second half.

W

T

F

chiefs1111 02-01-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 12058696)
This year especially - MNF was ok, but man...TNF was simply unwatchable.

Almost all the games on Thursday Night football the last two season have been divisional games. Never understood the thinking behind that.

Buehler445 02-01-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

This. Especially given how shorty of games they were all year it's hard to see. Must be a lot of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 12058749)
Almost all the games on Thursday Night football the last two season have been divisional games. Never understood the thinking behind that.

Less prep time required. Should always be an important game.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 12058746)
W

T

F

I presume they mean CBS will get the first five games; NBC will get the second 5 games.

Eleazar 02-01-2016 03:50 PM

Since the match ups on Thursdays usually seem to be poor, I figured it was a way for Roger to try to boost ratings of the low end games... By putting them on a weeknight when no other games compete with them.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to waste a national audience on a poor game but I guess it could be one theory to explain why it seems to be Browns and Titans or some other trash a lot of the time

ChiliConCarnage 02-01-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 12058746)
W

T

F

By first and second half, I think they mean first 5 and next 5 games.

edit: darn you, fmb!
uhh
Q