ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What can I do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297301)

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-07-2016 11:06 AM

What can I do?

I've got 4 children of my own ranging from high school to grade 2nd grade. I'm not wealthy.... but make enough money that i can provide for the family... when things are tight we are paycheck to paycheck. The wife is from a Southern state and grew up in poverty, now lives up here in the KC metro (We've been married for just short of 18 years).

Now the problem: Her brother is worthless. He's been a drug addict living off of others for the majority of his life. We even brought him up here at one point to try and clean him up. Eventually asking him to leave again cause he was abusing pain killers in our household. He went back to Alabama... he's been in and out of jail and rehabs... the kicker is he has 6 children... He's in Jail currently for robbery.. His ex-wife who has "custody" of the kids doesn't even really have the kids. They've been passed back and forth with my wife's family (aunts and uncles) for most of the last 2-3 years. They're currently staying with my Brother-in-Law's girlfriend because the Mother of the children is on the run from the state regarding the oldest being in Juvy and them wanting her to come get the kid and she's strung out on meth. They want her to take a drug test first, etc... anyway she's on the run, strung out, doesn't have her own kids... Can't care for them... The lady that IS caring for them currently can't, she has 4 kids of her own and is in poverty.

My wife just asked me if we could take the 3 youngest children into our house. Ranging from 5 years old to i believe 12. There's also a 14 year old that the lady caring for them wants to keep cause she'll get state benefits for him. These kids have not had a good life. I told my wife that I don't want to leave the oldest down there, we'll just take them all.

How I'm going to do it, I have no clue... Don't know what to do legally or how to go about any of this.. Just know that these children deserve a chance - And I feel a responsibility to help. Any advice? Has anyone had to deal with similar?

threebag 01-07-2016 11:08 AM

get a family lawyer nvolved you should be able to receive benifits through the state when you have them in your care. may have to have them be "awarded" to you. should try to take them all, the kids being togther out weigh the other care giver getting benifits also..

The Franchise 01-07-2016 11:10 AM

Does your wife work?

Prison Bitch 01-07-2016 11:11 AM

Just take them in and worry about $ later. Living is cheap, 2 can live as cheap as 1 and 8 can live as cheap as 4. You'll find a way, poor people have managed to survive for millions of years. I was one of 7 children and I don't recall ever needing anything

unlurking 01-07-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 12004974)
I've got 4 children of my own ranging from high school to grade 2nd grade. I'm not wealthy.... but make enough money that i can provide for the family... when things are tight we are paycheck to paycheck. The wife is from a Southern state and grew up in poverty, now lives up here in the KC metro (We've been married for just short of 18 years).

Now the problem: Her brother is worthless. He's been a drug addict living off of others for the majority of his life. We even brought him up here at one point to try and clean him up. Eventually asking him to leave again cause he was abusing pain killers in our household. He went back to Alabama... he's been in and out of jail and rehabs... the kicker is he has 6 children... He's in Jail currently for robbery.. His ex-wife who has "custody" of the kids doesn't even really have the kids. They've been passed back and forth with my wife's family (aunts and uncles) for most of the last 2-3 years. They're currently staying with my Brother-in-Law's girlfriend because the Mother of the children is on the run from the state regarding the oldest being in Juvy and them wanting her to come get the kid and she's strung out on meth. They want her to take a drug test first, etc... anyway she's on the run, strung out, doesn't have her own kids... Can't care for them... The lady that IS caring for them currently can't, she has 4 kids of her own and is in poverty.

My wife just asked me if we could take the 3 youngest children into our house. Ranging from 5 years old to i believe 12. There's also a 14 year old that the lady caring for them wants to keep cause she'll get state benefits for him. These kids have not had a good life. I told my wife that I don't want to leave the oldest down there, we'll just take them all.

How I'm going to do it, I have no clue... Don't know what to do legally or how to go about any of this.. Just know that these children deserve a chance - And I feel a responsibility to help. Any advice? Has anyone had to deal with similar?

You rock. /end

KCUnited 01-07-2016 11:13 AM

Damn, that's sad. I don't have any advice for you, but best of luck and good on ya, Zeke

Sully 01-07-2016 11:14 AM

I believe you will find a way to make it work. I don't know how, and I can't offer advice on that. But Bless you for doing what you can, sir.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-07-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12004982)
Does your wife work?

Yes she does.

ThaVirus 01-07-2016 11:15 AM

It will be tough but I commend you for even thinking about giving it a try.

If you can manage it financially it'll mean the world for them. No one is entitled to iPads and PS4s but every child should at least be raised in a stable, somewhat-loving environment.

From what you say, it sounds like these kids would have no chance in their current situation.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-07-2016 11:15 AM

I'm honestly not worried about money. Like I said, I can care for them financially when it comes down to it. I mean more legally, what can I do. If I have to get a lawyer, I will.. I've just never had to do anything like this, so I don't know where to start. Should I apply for a foster care license or what?

KC native 01-07-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12004976)
get a family lawyer nvolved you should be able to receive benifits through the state when you have them in your care. may have to have them be "awarded" to you. should try to take them all, the kids being togther out weigh the other care giver getting benifits also..

This.

Most states give support to people who take in children that aren't theirs (Texas which isn't the most generous on welfare does this so I imagine Missouri does too).

If the kids have any kind of mental health or health issues, look into social security disability payments. Be cautious in this area because if you receive payments for something like ADHD that will follow the kids through school. Some teachers just excuse everything and don't hold kids accountable once they get that diagnosis.

threebag 01-07-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 12004997)
I'm honestly not worried about money. Like I said, I can care for them financially when it comes down to it. I mean more legally, what can I do. If I have to get a lawyer, I will.. I've just never had to do anything like this, so I don't know where to start. Should I apply for a foster care license or what?

contact leagal aid, they might be able to put the starting X on yoour map

ChiTown 01-07-2016 11:18 AM

Gawdamn, that is a mess.

I would see a Social Worker and see what you can do to get some assistance from the State for taking in the 4 kids.

That aside, you are doing the right thing. These kids deserve some stability and love in their life. Bravo to you and your wife, Sir!:clap:

threebag 01-07-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 12005001)

If the kids have any kind of mental health or health issues, look into social security disability payments. Be cautious in this area because if you receive payments for something like ADHD that will follow the kids through school. Some teachers just excuse everything and don't hold kids accountable once they get that diagnosis.

If you and the kids have to work through something like ADD or any other behavior disorder, the school shouold build a plan to aid their education. Don't be afraid of it there is a lot of help out there, good luck.

tooge 01-07-2016 11:19 AM

Start a Gofundme campaign. KCNut will help out