ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink CP Home Brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297099)

Strongside 12-29-2015 08:40 PM

CP Home Brewing

Anyone here into this? I recently caught the bug, and it's addicting as hell. I'd been toying with mostly 1 gallon batches, and racking via siphon, but I recently upgraded to a larger setup with a FastFerment conical. I'm totally pumped as tomorrow is brew day and I'm whipping up a 5 gallon batch of Cascade double IPA to try this thing out. I'm in a loft downtown now, and am limited on space so I really only have room for extract brewing, but we're buying a house soon and my main requirement is a garage or basement big enough for a fermentation chamber and an all-grain system.

Here's my new setup with the room I have.

http://i.imgur.com/nJSeqNTh.jpg

If anyone here is into the hobby, share your setup, favorite recipes, etc. it'd be great to have a CP home brew tasting at some point. I know some of you ****ers HAVE to be doing this stuff...

SAUTO 12-29-2015 08:42 PM

Marcellus does I think

TambaBerry 12-29-2015 08:43 PM

I haven't had time to do it in a long time, but I've toyed with a lot of different things in the past. It's fun, I made some really good beer.

Ming the Merciless 12-29-2015 08:49 PM

I can do 12 gallons of extract brewing at a time. Ive never done all grain, just extract and steeping grains in a cheesecloth. I actually live in the town where one of the 1st gurus of home brewing set up shop. (The beverage people). Give them a look online if you're looking for the latest gear.

I have a batch of beer I've been waiting to brew...but the new baby is interfering lol.

I'll have to enjoy vicariously through you for now....8-(

lewdog 12-29-2015 08:53 PM

What's the shelf life of your home brews?

Strongside 12-29-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11985915)
I can do 12 gallons of extract brewing at a time. Ive never done all grain, just extract and steeping grains in a cheesecloth. I actually live in the town where one of the 1st gurus of home brewing set up shop. (The beverage people). Give them a look online if you're looking for the latest gear.

I have a batch of beer I've been waiting to brew...but the new baby is interfering lol.

I'll have to enjoy vicariously through you for now....8-(

Nice! I'm not familiar with the beverage people. I'll have to check them out. There are a few good brew shops here in KC. Brew Lab, Bacchus and Barleycorn, and Grain to Glass are the three I frequent. I'll update as my brew progresses in this new conical. I'm interested to see how the removable trub ball works.

Bugeater 12-29-2015 08:55 PM

My wife bought me a complete setup for Christmas a couple years ago and it's been sitting in my basement ever since. Hopefully one of these years I get around to using it.

Strongside 12-29-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11985923)
What's the shelf life of your home brews?

I think it depends, but I've never waited long enough to find out! I think with most beers, you can get about a year under refrigeration and assuming there are no microbes, oxidation or contaminants present. It also varies with the type of beer. I think even major Brewers of Imperial stouts recommend 8-10 months shelf time max...but I could be wrong.

Ming the Merciless 12-29-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 11985924)
Nice! I'm not familiar with the beverage people. I'll have to check them out. There are a few good brew shops here in KC. Brew Lab, Bacchus and Barleycorn, and Grain to Glass are the three I frequent. I'll update as my brew progresses in this new conical. I'm interested to see how the removable trub ball works.

Yah , brewing is real popular right now...but back in the day the beverage people.com were real pioneers and real old school. They also make some real nice all grain setups. It's pretty cool how far the hobby has come in just 30 years......prior to that stuff had to be ordered from England and Germany and there wasn't as much variety. It's crazy what they have now.....you're getting into it at such a great time. Post lots of pics!

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-29-2015 09:06 PM

I did some brewing back about 20 years ago but figured out I couldn't brew it fast enough. The Beer store has it ready at all times.

Ming the Merciless 12-29-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 11985933)
I think it depends, but I've never waited long enough to find out! I think with most beers, you can get about a year under refrigeration and assuming there are no microbes, oxidation or contaminants present. It also varies with the type of beer. I think even major Brewers of Imperial stouts recommend 8-10 months shelf time max...but I could be wrong.

I've found beers YEARS old that were fine, stored in dark bottles , no light....no extremely warm temps. I've actually had beers that tasted better after a year than after a month....that's why the hobby is so fun....experimenting is a blast...or just finding a 6er after a couple years you thought was another pack of empties

Saccopoo 12-29-2015 10:16 PM

I just threw out all my home brewing stuff. Been doing it since the early '90's. ****ing stupid, pain in the ass shit.

Amazing how you can go to the liquor store these days and find a beer that is exactly what you wanted to make and tastes a shit ton better, is cheaper and is already there not having to waste all that time and money and effort to make.

lewdog 12-30-2015 04:28 PM

Lewdog will and accepting of free samples.

Thanks.

Beef Supreme 12-30-2015 04:35 PM

I have a liquor store near my house that allows me to avoid all this tedious shit.

Radar Chief 12-30-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 11985944)
I did some brewing back about 20 years ago but figured out I couldn't brew it fast enough. The Beer store has it ready at all times.

If you're brewing for a cheap buzz you're better off just going to the liquor store cause home brewing isn't much, if any, cheaper.