ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet How can we improve Chiefs discussion around here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293965)

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:22 PM

How can we improve Chiefs discussion around here?

I've mentioned my disappointment in the quality of discussion in a few threads lately, but figured it's worth a more meta discussion to figure out 1) if I'm alone in this perception and 2) if there's anything that can be done about it.

Back in the old days, I walked 20 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways! :skip:

Err...wait. I mean, ChiefsPlanet was THE place where I got my Chiefs news. If an article was worth reading on another site, it was linked here. If there was a tweet with Chiefs news, it was posted here 30 seconds after it hit Twitter. If someone said something worthwhile on the radio, someone would post about it on here. And (with all due respect to those who like megathreads), you could glance at the front page and have a pretty decent idea of what the big news was for the day.

After returning home from the boonies on Sunday morning, however, I honestly had no idea how the game Saturday even went. I ended up visiting Arrowhead Pride and Chiefs Digest just to get a feel for what went down. Am I the weird one for thinking that that sucks?

Anyway, just figured it's worth the discussion. If it turns out that everyone is pretty content the way things are, I'll just bookmark some other resources and move on with life. But if I'm not alone, what can we do to make things better?

Snapplez 08-17-2015 03:24 PM

Can you make them win a playoff game? Seems to have worked wonders for the Royals

loochy 08-17-2015 03:25 PM

1.) Everything you want gets buried in the giant megathreads. Then it's too hard to go back and find information.

2.) Have some real games that we'll actually care about. It's preseason #1 man.

3.) Snapplez is from Fort Worth? Neato.

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:26 PM

Just some thoughts that I haven't really thought through very well:
  • Is the repost/Q thing killing us? If people are always afraid of reposting something (even something that's buried in another forum entirely or in a megathread), they'll err on the side of not posting anything.
  • I can't remember who it was, but I recall someone who used to post tweets all over the place getting lambasted for it. While it did get a little old, I think they did spur some good discussion.
  • Maybe we intentionally create threads just for discussion topics rather than feeling like every OP has to be a well-planned novel. For example, I could see creating 8 threads for EVERY preseason game just to discuss how each position group looked:
    • QB
    • RB
    • WR/TE
    • OL
    • DL
    • LB
    • DB
    • Special Teams

Chief Roundup 08-17-2015 03:28 PM

Yes as has been mentioned over and over and over and over, ChiefsPlanet is a mere shadow of its former self.
There is a laundry list of things that could be done.
Civility not hatred for differences of opinions.
When someone has "news" and doesn't have a link they should not be ran over the coals about it.
Better moderation.
Trolls should be sent packing. They may generate "traffic" but the tolerance and acceptance of trolls has cost this board many of its best posters.
That is just a few things off the top of my head.

ThaVirus 08-17-2015 03:28 PM

1. Stop bitching about lack of discussion around here

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 11665971)
1.) Everything you want gets buried in the giant megathreads. Then it's too hard to go back and find information.

So what's the solution? It's clear some people like megathreads, so do we just blast the hell out of anyone who gripes about a topic existing outside of one?

Quote:

2.) Have some real games that we'll actually care about. It's preseason #1 man.
Yeah, I realize that. I was just dumbfounded that there were basically zero threads on the game other than the game thread itself.

Discuss Thrower 08-17-2015 03:28 PM

I think an **** OFFICIAL ________ **** subforum is needed to be a catch all for GDTs, Repositories and the like.

From then, in any CHIEFs flair'ed thread, moderation should be expected similar to "prayer" threads such that if you choose to post in such a thread, you have to stay on to the topic at hand... As in, as if it's a thread about the run defense and someone posts a thread that baits a "lulz but Alex Smith" response then that person gets banned from the thread.

Chief Roundup 08-17-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11665972)
Just some thoughts that I haven't really thought through very well:
  • Is the repost/Q thing killing us? If people are always afraid of reposting something (even something that's buried in another forum entirely or in a megathread), they'll err on the side of not posting anything.
  • I can't remember who it was, but I recall someone who used to post tweets all over the place getting lambasted for it. While it did get a little old, I think they did spur some good discussion.
  • Maybe we intentionally create threads just for discussion topics rather than feeling like every OP has to be a well-planned novel. For example, I could see creating 8 threads for EVERY preseason game just to discuss how each position group looked:
    • QB
    • RB
    • WR/TE
    • OL
    • DL
    • LB
    • DB
    • Special Teams

Fixing the search function would help with the Q things.

DaFace 08-17-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11665976)
1. Stop bitching about lack of discussion around here

That's certainly an option. However, that solution involves me sadly just leaving and spending my time elsewhere, which isn't what I'm after at all.

Predarat 08-17-2015 03:30 PM

LOL if people get offended by the Q thing, they do not belong on the intrawebz. Its silly jesting. People usually are not being ugly about it, I like posing pictures of Q from Star Trek, not sure what poster started that but I steal it sometimes.

wazu 08-17-2015 03:30 PM

Repost police and mega threads are the biggest problem. We should all neg repost police unless they provide a link to a standalone thread dedicated to that specific article. Also, don't read mega threads about Chiefs. Just ignore them and stick to threads with an actual topic.

ChiefGator 08-17-2015 03:30 PM

I agree.. I use to come here for Chiefs news, but I rarely find it here first anymore.

And megathreads are just fine, but there needs to be a broad understanding that topics of particular interest can and should be posted in their own thread as well.

mdchiefsfan 08-17-2015 03:31 PM

There has been an increase in football threads thanks to Iowanian and you. I've been taking a stance on the Q Police as well.

I did notice there was not much discussion after the preseason game, which was pretty disappointing. It seemed there was quite a lot of discussion going on the game thread, but that was just Clay being Clay.

ThaVirus 08-17-2015 03:31 PM

2. Stop giving a shit about repost police. They usually get it all out of their systems within the first 10 posts or so.

If the thread contains good material or a basis for good discussion, it'll survive.

3. Stop bitching about megathreads. If you don't like them, stay out of them. There are enough people that like it only one way that both megathreads and individual threads for a number of topics will remain on the front page.