ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports I tore my ACL. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288877)

Direckshun 12-03-2014 03:22 AM

I tore my ACL.

5 years ago.

I collapsed on a soccer field, definite pain in my knee. I struggled walking and limped for two weeks. I couldn't afford an MRI at the time.

Two weeks later. Pain had gone away, I could walk without a difficulty.

A year goes by. I can run, but can't play sports.

Two years go by, I can play sports.

Three years. I play sports, work out, run half marathons, Tough Mudders, etc. Without a knee brace.

Finally went in to see a sports doctor today. He told me I tore my ACL 5 years ago, and that I've been doing all of this activity on a torn ACL. Holy shit.

Says he just recommends an MRI and a few weeks of therapy to test it out. At that point, I've already built muscle back up and I'm perfectly functional, so no surgery seems needed.

Has anybody else done this? I can't help but think this is absurdly unusual...

Lonewolf Ed 12-03-2014 03:39 AM

Lucky you, I guess! I hope there are no complications but at this point, it seems unlikely if you can do all that stuff with no pain or problems.

Direckshun 12-03-2014 03:53 AM

The physician himself said it was highly unusual.

I'm basically Wolverine, right?

ChiefAshhole20 12-03-2014 04:38 AM

Na, once you reach a certain age and there is no real reason for you to get it fixed, you'll get the option of just living with it, especially if it isn't bothering you.

The doc is just going to suggest you keep your quad, calf, and hamstring strong because those are your reinforcement areas and as long as you keep those in shape it shouldn't give you much trouble outside of a few aches sometimes whenever a cold front comes through.

Scooter LaCanforno 12-03-2014 05:13 AM

i'm sure your Obamacare will cover your pre-existing condition now. :D

LoneWolf 12-03-2014 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11163608)
I'm basically Wolverine, right?

No, you didn't magically repair your ACL. It is still torn. You have just built up the supporting muscles to a point that you can function without it. Good luck as you get older and keeping these muscles strong enough to support the joint becomes harder and harder.

Lex Luthor 12-03-2014 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11163615)
No, you didn't magically repair your ACL. It is still torn. You have just built up the supporting muscles to a point that you can function without it. Good luck as you get older and keeping these muscles strong enough to support the joint becomes harder and harder.

This all true.

I tore my ACL when I was 22. I waited 2 years, then had knee reconstruction surgery. It turned out my ACL and PCL were both completely shredded. If you don't need the surgery, that's awesome, because the surgery and subsequent recovery is far more painful than the original injury.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-03-2014 06:25 AM

Ray Farmer needs to see you in his office.

Aspengc8 12-03-2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11163615)

If you could walk on it two weeks after, it's a small or partial tear. Your not putting weight on it if its torn completely; there's basically no stability in your knee. Once the inflammation passed he was ok. I completely tore my ACL, partial MCL and some damage to medial meniscus and had to be helped off. I tried to put weight on it.. no way.

No point in getting surgery to fix a partial tear. Even if your semi-competitive in sports, might as well wait for it to tear complete. It wont unless there is a traumatic event to the area.

Kman34 12-03-2014 07:00 AM

Had the ACL surgery for my right knee in 1989. They still opened your knee up wide to do that surgery. I have two big scars on that knee but it feels great and no problems with it.
A few years later I tore the ACL in my left knee playing football. I didn't know how bad till I turned 40 and had a MRI for knee pain after a summer of volleyball. Turns out I had Broken leg and a torn meniscus, plus the ACL. I decided to have it fixed and they did all that surgery with a scope in my knee.
Went from two huge scars to four tiny holes....Amazing..

Mr. Flopnuts 12-03-2014 07:10 AM

America! Where religion is a right, and health care is a privilege!

Dartgod 12-03-2014 07:32 AM

My wife did this. She tore it probably 20 years ago playing softball. Never had anything done then and a couple of years ago she was having pain in her knee and went for an MRI. The doc told her the ACL was gone. She had the reconstructive surgery and 3 months later hiked to the top of Angel's Landing at Zion NP. See pics below.

She's one tough cookie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4013732%29.jpg

http://www.panamintcity.com/zion/image/ang2.jpg

Prison Bitch 12-03-2014 07:39 AM

Fire Dorsey

displacedinMN 12-03-2014 07:43 AM

I did it when I was 36. Along with torn meniscus. Had it repaired but did not do much PT. The doctor said since I was not an athlete or I physically tough job, that I could do simple exercise and be ok.

I was walking 2 days after surgery. He required it. Had a few pains with the weather but mostly ok now.

Just get it done. You are still young enough to need full mobility and little pain.

58-4ever 12-03-2014 08:07 AM

How bad is the tear? I'd recommend a second opinion too.