ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Amazon reportedly planning free video streaming service (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282619)

Fish 03-27-2014 05:31 PM

Amazon reportedly planning free video streaming service

Amazon may be preparing to switch up its streaming strategy in a big way. The Wall Street Journal reports that the company is planning a free, ad-supported streaming service that will offer both regular video content and music videos to all customers — not just those subscribed to Amazon Prime. The Journal says this service could stream Amazon's original programming (currently also exclusive to Prime customers) along with other licensed content.

That's to be expected, perhaps, but there are aspects of the rumored service that would mark new ground for Amazon. For example, the Journal claims Amazon may offer free music video streams to its online shoppers. Searching for Lady Gaga or Daft Punk would bring up their recent music videos, for example, turning Amazon into something of a Vevo / YouTube competitor.

A free streaming service could help disrupt a market that's still largely dominated by Netflix and Hulu. Amazon's own instant video service has fared well with consumers, but the company is still playing catchup with regards to original programming. The online retailer recently hiked the subscription cost of Amazon Prime to $99 per year, which many took as a sign that additional membership benefits (i.e. a streaming music service) could be on the way. Presumably some content would remain exclusive to paying customers, but it seems Amazon may also choose to go for broke and upend the streaming category with a free service. The Journal says it could launch "in the coming months" but also cautions — as usual — that Amazon could scrap the project entirely before then. With Amazon holding a press event in New York next week, we may soon hear more about this service alongside whatever streaming device the company plans to unveil.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/27/55...eaming-service

007 03-27-2014 05:42 PM

I just wish they would offer a way to control the quality of the stream like Netflix so you can keep bandwidth use down.

hometeam 03-27-2014 05:57 PM

I love amazon.

I dont love that they upped the price of prime so they could do stuff like this.

Simply Red 03-27-2014 06:11 PM

Does anyone know of any good free streaming adult sites?

htismaqe 03-28-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10521233)
I love amazon.

I dont love that they upped the price of prime so they could do stuff like this.

We saved over $1000 on shipping last year. Raise it to $150 a year, don't care.

Still WAY worth it.

htismaqe 03-28-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10521213)
I just wish they would offer a way to control the quality of the stream like Netflix so you can keep bandwidth use down.

It's coming.

noa 03-28-2014 08:58 AM

Wow, that is a bold move. I've never watched any of their original programming, but I've heard a couple shows are good. Are there other offerings similar to Netflix streaming?
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 03-28-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 10522291)
Wow, that is a bold move. I've never watched any of their original programming, but I've heard a couple shows are good. Are there other offerings similar to Netflix streaming?
Posted via Mobile Device

Once we got into Amazon's catalog, we cancelled Netflix. I imagine they're similar but for what we watch, Amazon seemed to have a lot more stuff.

Amazon also has a pay-per-view "rental" service which means you can get new releases and stuff that you can't get on Netflix, although it does cost extra.

Sure-Oz 03-28-2014 10:23 AM

@Variety: UPDATE: @Amazon Says It Has No Plans to Offer a Free TV and Music-Video Streaming Service http://on.variety.com/1rGWKav

007 03-28-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10522140)
It's coming.

awesome. That is the main reason I avoid Amazon streaming right now.

htismaqe 03-28-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10524363)
awesome. That is the main reason I avoid Amazon streaming right now.

I'd be interested as to why. We've never had any real problem with it.

hometeam 03-28-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10522136)
We saved over $1000 on shipping last year. Raise it to $150 a year, don't care.

Still WAY worth it.

Mine paid for itself as well.

Im just cheap

007 03-28-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10524381)
I'd be interested as to why. We've never had any real problem with it.

because I don't want to stream in HD. I watch netflix on Low and am very happy with it. If I want HD I'll go rent a bluray. I can watch five times the content on low then I can on HD.

Deberg_1990 03-28-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10524506)
because I don't want to stream in HD. I watch netflix on Low and am very happy with it. If I want HD I'll go rent a bluray. I can watch five times the content on low then I can on HD.

Your free to rent at Redbox if you're concerned about bandwidth
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 03-28-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10524506)

Do you have a metered service or something?