ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The best fried chicken? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282422)

Msmith 03-20-2014 07:28 AM

The best fried chicken?

I am talking about national eateries, like if you drive for miles and have an urge to eat some fried chicken, which one place do you choose?

Aside from that, what is the best fried chicken you ever had, homemade or in restaurant?

By the way, all fried chicken lovers rejoice for this news!!!

The only beef I have about fried food, (actually is from my wife) is that the shortening that is used. Some stores only change the shortening once a week.

In58men 03-20-2014 07:34 AM

We have a southern place here called J's Place. It's a chicken and waffles spot with some amazing chicken.

Predarat 03-20-2014 07:35 AM

Chicken Annies or Chicken Marys in Pittsburg, Ks. It depends on the day which one is best. I like the spicier of the two, I think that is Annies but you cannot go wrong with either one. Awesome Onion Rings too.

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10503635)
We have a southern place here called J's Place. It's a chicken and waffles spot with some amazing chicken.

You know what? Here in town we had that Gladys Knight's place in John's Creek for a while - that lady can cook!

RunKC 03-20-2014 07:40 AM

Zaxbys is amazing

blaise 03-20-2014 07:41 AM

My favorite chain fried chicken is KFC Original Recipe. I know most people prefer Popeye's though.

For stand-alone places, there's a place near my house called Babe's that I think is pretty awesome.

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10503637)
Chicken Annies or Chicken Marys in Pittsburg, Ks. It depends on the day which one is best. I like the spicier of the two, I think that is Annies but you cannot go wrong with either one. Awesome Onion Rings too.

I can't begin to tell you what a childhood memories BOTH of those places are/were.

BTW, have you ever read Annie and Mary's story? I think they're the temple in the mid west regarding fried chicken. I doubt there's better, well I doubt there's places with that sort of history - Both of them have survived two financial depressions. I love Mary's german pot salad - also the fact that they have that spaghetti option (as a side) --- Amazing just how well meatless spaghetti w/ red sauce goes w/ fried chicken. Who would have thought it?

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:43 AM

Annie's actual chicken is better - but Mary's side items are better.

They're fairly comparable.

BlackHelicopters 03-20-2014 07:45 AM

Chicken Mary's in Pitsburg Kansas.

Predarat 03-20-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10503649)
I can't begin to tell you what a childhood memories BOTH of those places are/were.

BTW, have you ever read Annie and Mary's story? I think they're the temple in the mid west regarding fried chicken. I doubt there's better, well I doubt there's places with that sort of history - Both of them have survived two financial depressions. I love Mary's german pot salad - also the fact that they have that spaghetti option (as a side) --- Amazing just how well meatless spaghetti w/ red sauce goes w/ fried chicken. Who would have thought it?

Oh wow yes the German Potato Salad and the German Slaw, the spaghetti, all good. One of them used to have this awesome homemade applesauce, it wasn't like the grindy yellow stuff you buy in stores. It was red and chunky. The past few times I have been there and ordered it, it was not like it was, so they probably changed the recipe. But wow, that spagetti does go damn well with it.

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10503655)
Oh wow yes the German Potato Salad and the German Slaw, the spaghetti, all good. One of them used to have this awesome homemade applesauce, it wasn't like the grindy yellow stuff you buy in stores. It was red and chunky. The past few times I have been there and ordered it, it was not like it was, so they probably changed the recipe. But wow, that spagetti does go damn well with it.

My Uncle introduced us to CA's and CM's (may he rest in peace) - he was an antique dealer - he owned greenhouses - he also had a dental lab in his garage.

He was pretty known around Pitt. I bet someone here remembers SOMEthing about that guy - or knew him. His bourbon habit is what got him, though.

Very sad - RIP Uncle Harry.

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10503646)
My favorite chain fried chicken is KFC Original Recipe. I know most people prefer Popeye's though.

For stand-alone places, there's a place near my house called Babe's that I think is pretty awesome.

I like all of them - even Church's - Popeyes is darned good.

KC_Lee 03-20-2014 07:54 AM

Prince's Hot Chicken or Pepperfire Hot Chicken in Nashville, TN.

Dartgod 03-20-2014 07:55 AM

Not a chain, but Stroud's of course. And RC's in Martin City has some pretty darn good fried yard bird.

Simply Red 03-20-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10503673)
Not a chain, but Stroud's of course. And RC's in Martin City has some pretty darn good fried yard bird.

oh Yard Bird - I haven't used that one in a while. :LOL::thumb: