ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Calling all car mechanics. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274689)

In58men 07-21-2013 01:26 PM

Calling all car mechanics.

I'm trying to change out parts in my work car to keep it running better. It's a 96 Saturn SL1. She's been a good car for me so far. This weekend I put a new serpentine belt on, which was a pain in the ass. I also wanted to slap on a new thermostat. When I took off the old thermostat it's was missing. The previous owner must have taken it off for a reason. What could this reason be? Thanks in advance.

Buehler445 07-21-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9825448)
I'm trying to change out parts in my work car to keep it running better. It's a 96 Saturn SL1. She's been a good car for me so far. This weekend I put a new serpentine belt on, which was a pain in the ass. I also wanted to slap on a new thermostat. When I took off the old thermostat it's was missing. The previous owner must have taken it off for a reason. What could this reason be? Thanks in advance.

Probably stuck shut and they didn't want to buy another one. Put one back in.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2013 01:33 PM

Mr. Sauto, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

notorious 07-21-2013 01:41 PM

Antifreeze, Ball Bearings, Blinker Fluid/CP

FlaChief58 07-21-2013 01:49 PM

Your flux capacitor has most likely lost continuity between the thing ama boppy and the doo hickey. Change the anti brake fluid in the transfreeze transporter and you should be fine

Earthling 07-21-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9825450)

I'd give that about a 99% probability.

bigjosh 07-21-2013 01:54 PM

if the old thermostat was bad it could have either been stuck closed, which would cause the car to overheat. Or it could have been stuck open, which would have caused the engine to never reach operating temperature and that would also cause you to have no heat in the winter.

In58men 07-21-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9825450)

I did, a brand new one. I tightened everything back and installed the hose back on. I started the car and it was leaking from the thermostat body (not the hose). I turned it off and tried to wrench them a little tighter. Still leaking. Like it wasn't wanting to open up. I put the old thermostat body back on and no leaks. Not sure if there's a pressure issue or not.

FlaChief58 07-21-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9825501)
I did, a brand new one. I tightened everything back and installed the hose back on. I started the car and it was leaking from the thermostat body (not the hose). I turned it off and tried to wrench them a little tighter. Still leaking. Like it wasn't wanting to open up. I put the old thermostat body back on and no leaks. Not sure if there's a pressure issue or not.

Sounds like it got so hot it warped the metal. Have you tried any gasket seal?

bigjosh 07-21-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9825501)

did you put a new gasket? the thermostat has to have a rubber gasket on those saturns, im pretty sure they are sold separately

In58men 07-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh006 (Post 9825525)
did you put a new gasket? the thermostat has to have a rubber gasket on those saturns, im pretty sure they are sold separately

New one was installed. It leaked from the housing with the whole new thermostat installed. When I took off the thermostat and just installed the body no leaks.

In58men 07-21-2013 02:11 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/a8y2agy4.jpg

I took off the thermostat and just installed it back, like it was originally.

bigjosh 07-21-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9825545)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/a8y2agy4.jpg

I took off the thermostat and just installed it back, like it was originally.

it leaked from the bolted flange right?

If your car was running fine without it (getting up to operating temperature/heat works in the winter) then I would say just leave it out.

I had a Saturn just like that one and I never had a thermostat in mine. it ran a little cooler then it was supposed to but didn't effect my heat or gas mileage so **** it.

FlaChief58 07-21-2013 02:31 PM

Check that O-ring, They can be tricky sometimes. They may look like they're ok but have a tiny flaw causing the leak.

Ace Gunner 07-21-2013 02:47 PM

not sure if known but there's a gasket to go with that assy.