ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Education ACLU to Kansas school district: Cancel creationist assemblies about Dinosaurs (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272337)

Bump 04-21-2013 09:49 PM

ACLU to Kansas school district: Cancel creationist assemblies about Dinosaurs

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1ct42w

The American Civil Liberties Union has warned a southwest Kansas school district against holding mandatory student assemblies that feature a creationist group.

“Teaching or otherwise promoting creationism is, simply put, unlawful,” the ACLU wrote in a letter to Hugoton Public Schools superintendent Mark Crawford on Friday. “As the District is surely aware, the federal courts have been unequivocally clear that efforts to inject religious beliefs regarding the origin of life into public school science curricula are constitutionally impermissible, no matter what form they take.”

Hugoton Public Schools invited Creation Truth Foundation’s founder Dr. G. Thomas Sharp to teach the “Truth about Dinosaurs” at two assemblies next week. At least one of the assemblies will be mandatory for all students and teachers.

The group has created teaching materials “explaining the origins, extinction and possible existence of dinosaurs” from a Biblical view and believes the dinosaur Tyrannosaurus rex walked the Earth as early as 100,000 years ago rather more than 65 million years ago. In a lecture uploaded to YouTube last year, Sharp criticized scientists for ignoring the great flood of the Bible.

“We respectfully request the District take immediate and concrete steps to remedy these problems,” the ACLU concluded. “The first step would be to cancel the planned mandatory school assemblies now set for next week.”

However, superintendent Crawford has said he will not call off the assemblies. He told The Kansas City Star the assemblies will not promote creationism, despite the beliefs and mission of the Creation Truth Foundation.

“I agree with the ACLU, in that, if a mandatory all-school assembly where creationist truths or creationist beliefs were expressed, that would be inappropriate public-school content, and that is not the case,” Crawford said. “It’s completely and totally school appropriate.”

KILLER_CLOWN 04-21-2013 09:52 PM

Nothing wrong with teaching different viewpoints, however neither side should be mandatory unless it's a private school.

Dave Lane 04-21-2013 09:55 PM

Stupid beyond belief. Its crap like this that makes me speak up about the stupidity of the theist position at the drop of a hat

Dave Lane 04-21-2013 09:56 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_0Ca88xNw_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Prison Bitch 04-21-2013 10:32 PM

It's interesting he says the Dinos are 100,000 years old. If a creationist believes humankind to be only 6,000 years old then Dinos were around 94,000 years earlier and that means the strict Biblical story didn't happen in 7 days. Of course this assumes he's a Bible believer and not just a creationist.

Brainiac 04-21-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9612903)
Nothing wrong with teaching different viewpoints, however neither side should be mandatory unless it's a private school.

They aren't different viewpoints. One is a religion. The other isn't.

The fact that scientific facts conflict with your religious beliefs doesn't make science a competing religion. It just means that primitive religious beliefs often don't stand up very well under the scrutiny of the scientific method.

I realize that I'm wasting my time here. I guess I can't give up on the hope that maybe, just maybe, for one brief instant you'll have a flash of understanding that will lead you to question the authority that has ruled your entire thought process for your entire life.

Like I said, I'm wasting my time.

cosmo20002 04-21-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9612903)

It is when one of the viewpoints contradicts fact. The timeframe when Tyrannosaurus Rex walked the Earth is not a matter of opinion. Maybe we could also teach a different viewpoint on 2 + 2 = ?

KILLER_CLOWN 04-21-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9613112)
It is when one of the viewpoints contradicts fact. The timeframe when Tyrannosaurus Rex walked the Earth is not a matter of opinion. Maybe we could also teach a different viewpoint on 2 + 2 = ?

It is, unless you have absolute proof which you do not.

Bowser 04-21-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9613118)

You doubt carbon dating results?

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

JFC. Let's break out the Creation Museum's refutation of radiocarbon dating, then.

RedDread 04-21-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

LOL at the "you weren't there you don't know argument." Nobody has absolute proof that a god exists (for obvious reasons) but they will shit all over scientific findings all day long.

It would be like me saying Jesus didn't exist because we can't prove he lived 100%. Lets be honest, we only have some unproven relics and historical accounts, neither of which prove without a doubt that he existed.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2013 11:18 PM

Here's something else I don't have absolute proof of:

That cupcakes won't become sentient tomorrow, realize humanity as a threat, then launch a global war against us wherein they plunge humanity back into the Stone Age.

KILLER_CLOWN 04-21-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9613152)
You doubt carbon dating results?

Very much so, you can get Incredibly different dates from items that are about the same age old. The stats are there if you care to look.

RedDread 04-21-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9613177)
Very much so, you can get Incredibly different dates from items that are about the same age old. The stats are there if you care to look.

I'm beginning to get a very clear picture of you. Belief in the unknowable but absolute skepticism regarding everything science.

Ask yourself, shouldn't you apply that same level of skepticism to everything you're told?

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9613177)

This is bullshit. You aren't getting a 65 million year difference in carbon dating results.