ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics MLB.tv on Roku? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271885)

DaneMcCloud 04-08-2013 03:45 PM

MLB.tv on Roku?
 
The Royals finally are in a position to have a special year and I'd really like to watch all of their games this season. The Direct TV package, IMO, is outrageously priced at $225 dollars before tax but the alternative is MLB.tv through a streaming device at $129.99 for the season.

Unfortunately, I do not own a device with the MLB.tv app (I recently purchased three Sony Blu-ray players but MLB only supports Samsung). So, I can purchase a device like a Roku for $55 (720p) or Roku 3 for $89 (1080p). The MLB forums are filled with people that say it's great and a much better product than DTV's "Extra Innings".

Any experiences? Thanks in advance!

Bewbies 04-08-2013 03:46 PM

I have a ROKU, it's pretty cool. I don't have MLB TV though... :)

DaneMcCloud 04-08-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9568778)
I have a ROKU, it's pretty cool. I don't have MLB TV though... :)

Is the picture quality excellent? Any issues with streaming?

noa 04-08-2013 04:33 PM

I don't use it on Roku, but I have the app for Apple TV, which I would assume is the same thing. The app is awesome, you can get announcers from either the home or away team. The picture quality is great, and I rarely have streaming problems. You can also watch a game after it's ended. And since you don't live in KC, you'll be able to watch all the Royals games you want, except when they play the Angels. You also won't be able to watch the Dodgers. I also find that baseball games are just something nice to have on in the background if I'm doing other stuff, so it's nice to be able to stream non-Royals games, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies 04-08-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9568812)
Is the picture quality excellent? Any issues with streaming?

The only time I've ever had issues were issues with the provider, not with the ROKU. Everything I watch on it is 720p.

DaneMcCloud 04-08-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 9569023)
I don't use it on Roku, but I have the app for Apple TV, which I would assume is the same thing. The app is awesome, you can get announcers from either the home or away team. The picture quality is great, and I rarely have streaming problems. You can also watch a game after it's ended. And since you don't live in KC, you'll be able to watch all the Royals games you want, except when they play the Angels. You also won't be able to watch the Dodgers. I also find that baseball games are just something nice to have on in the background if I'm doing other stuff, so it's nice to be able to stream non-Royals games, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Dude!

The Dodgers and Angels games are all shown locally, so I'm good in that regard. My biggest "fear" (for lack of a better word) is picture quality and no future Roku support.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have Direct TV Premiere and I'm good with it and the NFL package, but I really don't feel like patronizing DTV any further, if at all possible. Plus, mobile access would be cool and they support iPad's and iPhones.

Thanks again!

DaneMcCloud 04-08-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9569072)
The only time I've ever had issues were issues with the provider, not with the ROKU. Everything I watch on it is 720p.

Thanks, Dude!

Bewbies 04-08-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9569085)
Thanks, Dude!

The Dodgers and Angels games are all shown locally, so I'm good in that regard. My biggest "fear" (for lack of a better word) is picture quality and no future Roku support.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have Direct TV Premiere and I'm good with it and the NFL package, but I really don't feel like patronizing DTV any further, if at all possible. Plus, mobile access would be cool and they support iPad's and iPhones.

Thanks again!

I wish the Sunday Ticket would come to the ROKU... I actually prefer the picture/sound to what I can stream on my XBOX, and before they neutered it I watched a ton of ESPN on it.

Gonzo 04-08-2013 04:47 PM

Roku is ****ing awesome. I nixed cable and went that route. Saves me about 100 bucks a month.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 04:51 PM

I have streamed MLB TV through my PS3 and iPad and its terrific.
Posted via Mobile Device

Canofbier 04-08-2013 05:13 PM

If you don't mind it, it's also entirely possible to stream MLB.tv through a web browser on your computer, which you can either watch on your monitor or link up to your TV.

DaneMcCloud 04-08-2013 05:21 PM

Thanks again for the input! PC Magazine says that Apple.TV is a better device than the Roku 3. They're the same price, so that's not an issue.

Any thoughts?

underEJ 04-08-2013 06:55 PM

If you are already in itunes world apple tv is a great choice. One more great connective device for the apple team.

I am a cranky person who loves my mac very much but hates itunes so I have a roku, and am very happy with it, just upgraded to the 3 from the very first generation which is now going into the workout room. Didn't think I'd care about the headphones on the remote, but I use it all the time! Someone else can take a phone call while I am watching something and I don't have to turn the sound down, and they don't interrupt my viewing with their talking.

noa 04-08-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 9569530)
If you are already in itunes world apple tv is a great choice. One more great connective device for the apple team.

I am a cranky person who loves my mac very much but hates itunes so I have a roku, and am very happy with it, just upgraded to the 3 from the very first generation which is now going into the workout room. Didn't think I'd care about the headphones on the remote, but I use it all the time! Someone else can take a phone call while I am watching something and I don't have to turn the sound down, and they don't interrupt my viewing with their talking.

Agreed, if you already have an iPad or iPhone or both, the Apple TV makes a lot of sense. You can mirror whatever is on your device onto your TV through the Apple TV. And Apple TV makes even more sense if you value having access to iTunes. But if you don't care about iTunes or about mirroring, the Roku has a lot more options for apps, like Pandora or Spotify.

Fruit Ninja 04-08-2013 07:34 PM

If you have an Xbox there is an xbox mlb.tv app on there. that what i did with NBA. It had some deal for 50bucks for the year, but only get 5 teams.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.