ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General Politics Assault Weapons Ban Dropped From Senate Bill (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271316)

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:25 PM

Assault Weapons Ban Dropped From Senate Bill

A ban on assault weapons won't be included in major gun legislation set to take shape this week -- all but guaranteeing it won't pass Congress.

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a onetime ally of the National Rifle Association, informed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Monday that the proposal to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines won't be included in a broad package of new gun laws that's taking shape this week and will be considered on the Senate floor in April.

"People say well, are you disappointed? Obviously I'm disappointed," Feinstein told reporters Tuesday. Feinstein has worked on gun violence issues for decades.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...nate-bill?lite

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:28 PM

Time to grab those AR-15 lowers if you haven't already.

2bikemike 03-19-2013 03:29 PM

Thats a start. It still comes up as a seperate vote but it ain't going anywhere. Ole Harry is a savvy politician he knows better than to include it in the broader measure.

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:31 PM

I know it is seen as a potential negative, because the other legislation is more likely to pass without the AWB ban, but I do look at it as a good sign that the D's are willing to dump this meaningless legislation.

mr. tegu 03-19-2013 03:34 PM

I thought they were trying to disarm the public one step at a time?

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9514282)

As far as I can tell they're trying to make it look like they're solving a problem, by creating useless problematic legislation. It becomes more and more obvious as they buttfumble around amidst criticism from their peers. So, yeah, being pathetically useless isn't as bad as being willfully evil. It's still unacceptable behavior from our federal government.

Radar Chief 03-19-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

:spock: They’re moving forward with increasing restrictions in the form of more background checks and gun registrations. Is that not a big enough step for you?

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9514295)
:spock: They’re moving forward with increasing restrictions in the form of more background checks and gun registrations. Is that not a big enough step for you?

I haven't seen anything about changing the law regarding manufacturing firearms for personal use. It's a pain in the ass to have to go that route, but it is a route for people who are serious about gun ownership.

mr. tegu 03-19-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9514295)

So...they aren't going to take away anyone's guns? I thought they were going to take away guns so that they could control the citizens or something similar.

Comrade Crapski 03-19-2013 03:51 PM

The NJ Gestapo is still doing what it wants:

http://nation.foxnews.com/home-raide...o-childs-rifle

Radar Chief 03-19-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9514312)
So...they aren't going to take away anyone's guns? I thought they were going to take away guns so that they could control the citizens or something similar.

Making firearms more difficult for everyone to buy and keep is not increasing restrictions on gun control how exactly? You did post "step by step" right?

Edit: sorry it's "one step at a time".

listopencil 03-19-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9514312)

Uh..."they" already started:

Thirty-two year old Benjamin Wassell of Silver Creek has become the first victim in New York’s unconstitutional SAFE Act. That’s right, I used the term “victim” because these are completely unlawful laws being enforced.
The western New Yorker is apparently the first person to be charged with violating the state’s unconstitutional gun law.

According to state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, Mr. Wassell was charged on Thursday with three felonies related to the sale of illegal weapons.

According to Schneiderman, Wassell twice sold weapons (semi-automatic rifles) that New York decided they wanted to ban in clear violation of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.

Officials claim that Wassell sold the weapons later in the same month that the SAFE Act was passed and again in February. He sold the weapons along with 300 rounds of ammunition.

Now, here comes the interesting part and to demonstrate that this has nothing to do with legality, but about disarmament. Wassell was released on his own recognizance, though he is charged with numerous felonies.

http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-con...t-2602356.html

This was done under a strict AWB enacted by NY state.

Radar Chief 03-19-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9514303)
I haven't seen anything about changing the law regarding manufacturing firearms for personal use. It's a pain in the ass to have to go that route, but it is a route for people who are serious about gun ownership.

You’ve lost me. Mostly what I’ve read has been about registering guns already in private possession and increasing the scope of background checks.

ghak99 03-19-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

I hope you're not as blind as your statement sounds.

The shoot for the moon with the shock and awe fear tactics and "settling" for less is not an uncommon political or even financial bargaining tactic. Agents do it every day to maximize their clients payday.

If it passes it's a short term small step win and lets the sheep feel like "It could have been worse", all the while you're planning the next move to keep the slow and steady train moving in your direction.

listopencil 03-19-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9514322)
You’ve lost me. Mostly what I’ve read has been about registering guns already in private possession and increasing the scope of background checks.

They are also going after transactions. They want to put up some severe punishments for gun traffickers, and I imagine that they would enforce registration at the point of sale. If you make your own lower you just buy an 80% finished piece of metal and do the rest yourself. The transaction isn't controlled by gun laws and you aren't required to report anything to the government because you made the weapon yourself.